Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #1

AZ Campers and wind resistance

I all, I'm seriously considering selling my a frame camper and replacing it with a forest river pop up. Many years ago I had a popup that was not a forest river product ( I am quite partial to FR) and in hindsight it was a purchase I should not have made. Long story short, it was quite unsturdy in the wind....this leads to my next set of questions: do we have any AZ regular AZ campers out there? I ask because the winds out here can be horrific at times (25-35 mph sustained). We were in Holbrook at the end of May And endured 56 mph winds. I'm wouldn't set up any camper in that type of wind, Can anyone share their wind experiences and also, I'd like to know how well do the heaters warm up those tent campers. It does get below freezing out here although I tend not to camp in really cold weather.

Thanks in advance!
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #2

AZ is Arizona, right.
if your question is about wind issues with PUPs in general, there are several threads here that have mentioned this. I have had my HW277 in some rather substantial winds (50 mph). The tenting material was noisy with all the buffeting going on but the camper felt solid. Next morning, it was apparent that the camper had been scooted forward a couple of inches by the skid marks left on the camping pad gravel by the stabilizers. It was not a restful night and would not like to do that on a regular basis. The other issue with the HW PUPs, if you like to use your awning - it is hard to roll it away if wind comes up suddenly unless you are a tall person - it is too high for us 5'5" people. (We have managed to do it when my 6 foot hubby is with us, and he needed the three step ladder we have.) We did not use it at all when we were out in the midwest. Too windy. Mostly, the winds have not been that high and I have felt very comfortable in the camper after 4 seasons camping (but we are not in AZ).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #3

I have an A Frame and in the early springtime its not uncommon for sustained winds of 25-30 mph. The AFrame does great. I was at a show where the winds kicked up to 50 mph and the only tent trailer on the grounds had to fold up. They were against a fence, under trees and thought they had decent protection however, the wind blew thru the chain link and spun them around nearly tipping them over (they said the ends were like wind socks). They got that thing packed closed as fast as they could and waited the night out in their truck. The winds were predicted to continue into the next day so they decided to just go home. My A Frame & my friend (parked next to me) in her AFrame did just fine. We stayed inside and she watched movies and I read my Nook and waited for the severe winds to subside.

After hearing the tent trailer people's experienc first hand, I was glad I had my A Frame. They were saying they were going to look into one after that storm.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Hi, thx, that is exactly what I'm looking for and yes, AZ is Arizona. As we speak, we are being hit with extremely high winds due to a storm front moving eastward. I'm so happy to hear how well your camper held up in high winds. It is normally my son and myself when we camp so I tend to travel with at least a step stool as I'm 5'7".

For my next question, how well does the heater keep things warm inside? I understand it isn't going to be like my house but just curious as I've never camped in cooler weather? Thanks!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwilde View Post
Hi, thx, that is exactly what I'm looking for and yes, AZ is Arizona. As we speak, we are being hit with extremely high winds due to a storm front moving eastward. I'm so happy to hear how well your camper held up in high winds. It is normally my son and myself when we camp so I tend to travel with at least a step stool as I'm 5'7".

For my next question, how well does the heater keep things warm inside? I understand it isn't going to be like my house but just curious as I've never camped in cooler weather? Thanks!
It should, unless you have a problem with your furnace and or trailer.

Gas usage will go up.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

We have been camping in temps down to about freezing or just below and have been fine. I do have heated mattrress and highly recommend them. We run an electric heater at night to keep the propane use down but the furnace does an real nice job when you use it, just expect to use a lot of propane. Oh and about the wind, do note that I have a heavier PUP the HW277 is 3800 lbs gvwr.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #7

Desertwilde, why are you unhappy with your A Frame?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #8

X2 on what Gals has been saying. Have endured 45 mph winds at lake havasu for 12 hours- just wasn't a comfortable day. One of my vinyl windows had streched from the continuos pressure but everything still works. I also agree about the awning- it sucks trying to put it back up if the roof is still up. But we did camp last thanksgiving at Williams AZ and it got down to 22 at night. We were warm because was running roof top air heat strip, furnace, additional electric heater and heated mattresses. Had condensation on the tent ends and my cooler froze solid outside, but all was good.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Desertwilde, why are you unhappy with your A Frame?
I'm not unhappy with my a frame at all, it is simply a matter of looking for more space for family camping which is becoming a regular event. My aframe only sleeps 2 and it would be much easier if we had room for 3 or more. But I love the ease and convenience of set up (not to mention security-I sleep like the dead). Camping in Arizona is much different than camping in NJ where I used to live.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Why not just hook it up to the tv when winds are that strong?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
We have been camping in temps down to about freezing or just below and have been fine. I do have heated mattrress and highly recommend them. We run an electric heater at night to keep the propane use down but the furnace does an real nice job when you use it, just expect to use a lot of propane. Oh and about the wind, do note that I have a heavier PUP the HW277 is 3800 lbs gvwr.
Do you set your electric heater on the low setting vs. the high wattage one?
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu View Post

Do you set your electric heater on the low setting vs. the high wattage one?
I have a Vornado brand that has a thermostat. I run it on high and set it for about 70. I do not think it actually gets it to that temp as it seems to run all night. The camper is not toasty warm but it is not a huge chore to get up (and with the heated matress we are fine in bed all night). We then use the furnace in the am if we want to take the chill off.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #13

I will chime in. We have only taken our Rockwood out one time, but the first time was very windy. 25-35mph winds all day and that night. Like Gals said, it was a bit noisy at times, but we felt secure. My wife made the comment that this camper didn't' seem to sway as much as our old one did, and I agree. The temps got down to upper thirty's the first night and upper twenty's the second night so we got to try out the furnace. Used almost an entire tank of propane that weekend. We do also have the heated mattresses and an extra space heater that we used to supplement the furnace so we could not run it as much. All and all we felt this camper to be much more stable than our past ones in the wind.

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote