Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 10:20 PM   #1

Back up camera

What is the best back uo camera for a pop up.
Ellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellent View Post
What is the best back uo camera for a pop up.
Not sure why you need one since you should be able to see behind you, as opposed to a motorhome, 5th wheel or travel trailer.
I owned two popups over a 15 year period and never needed a backup camera.
But if you feel you need one, I would just get a cheap wireless system that has the camera in the license plate frame.
Plus a back up/observation camera would be easy to steal on a popup vs other types of RVs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:07 AM   #3

Go slow

If you go with a wireless camera, beware -- some of them have substantial image lag, so what you're seeing is a second ago, and not the current live view. So just go slow.

Also, some cameras which are not designed as back up cameras don't have a setting to reverse the image left to right. As if backing up isn't complicated enough... you want an image that gets left and right correct.

Another tip; when backing up, move your hand to the bottom of the steering wheel. That way you don't have to think backwards.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not sure why you need one since you should be able to see behind you, as opposed to a motorhome, 5th wheel or travel trailer.
I owned two popups over a 15 year period and never needed a backup camera.
But if you feel you need one, I would just get a cheap wireless system that has the camera in the license plate frame.
Plus a back up/observation camera would be easy to steal on a popup vs other types of RVs.
Some of the campsites are very narrow with trees and rocks. I can't see directly behind the pop up. I don't want damage to my pop up. You may have more experience. I am new to this and want safety.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:54 PM   #5

Thank you for your reply. Do you know any good basic cameras
Old 04-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellent View Post
Thank you for your reply. Do you know any good basic cameras
Have you checked Costco or Sam's Club? I know Costco usually has a simple inexpensive system.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #7

Thanks
Old 05-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #8

I bought a cheap wireless one that I leave on while driving. Head unit suction cups above and to left of rearview mirror and I mounted the camera to the roof with auto grade adhesive and a silicone bead across the top line to keep water off the 3m adhesive.

It works for the most part though it can get "flakey" while driving but when backing up I have had no issues. The "pro" systems are a few hundred, this was $55
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #9

I picked up a type S from Costco for about $99. I use it mainly for backing in.

Two downsides are that it only powers on for about 10-15 seconds. It is not designed to be "always on".

It is also not designed to be so far from the head unit (25ft TT), so video will often cut out or freeze. I looked to see if I could add an antenna but didn't see anything obviously available and have not torn it apart.
dduffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #10

My post above was before our last trip with the camper. I did not realize how much I have come to rely on it for lane changes. The cutting out was really annoying while on a busy highway, we were in A LOT of memorial day traffic so I resolved to find something better.

After that trip I researched and I purchased this system from Amazon. The screen is larger than what I have been using but the trade off is it never cut out once on a 45 minute drive while pulling the camper AND it records if you put an SD card in it. The thing there being that while parked at a place on the drive out getting gas or food etc... if the head unit and camera have power it will record if someone hits your camper while your away..... The picture was clear, I am impressed. As with any camera the night vision distance is not at all as good as during the day but you can definitely see approaching vehicles and any traffic close to you.

All in all I am MUCH happier with this purchase though it cost a fair bit more than my $50 one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did not drill any holes in the camper for it either. I used 3 rows of this auto grade adhesive on the mount and put it near the top of the roof looking at a downward angle. I also put a bead of RV adhesive across the top and sides as well as the cut outs on the mount itself to keep water out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a barrel style plug so when the roof lifts if I have forgotten to unplug it no harm, it just unplugs itself.

That is exactly how I mounted my last one and it was going strong for two years.

For 12V power at the trailer I tied in to the refrigerator area as its on with the galley up or down but I added a 2amp inline fuse so it couldn't damage anything.
Routing was simple, I pushed the wire out the floor through the gas line opening. I used this stuff to protect it under the camper and brought it up the rear behind the spare tire hanger:

https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Tech-25f...10&sr=8-4&th=1
Old 06-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #11

Thank you so much. I will check it out
Old 06-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #12

I should have mentioned that in the reviews on that system some folks complained about "Lag' in the camera transmission to the screen. I found it was maybe a 1/2 second. I think they were mistaking the fact that when the car looks far away on the screen it is in fact very close so it seemed like it was still showing the car behind when it was actually overtaking/close to the camper. For example, in my case with the camera aimed the way I had it, if a vehicle was in full view at the mid point of the screen it was nearly on top me or just beginning to pass. This is just a matter of experience/learning curve thing.

If you order one, you can add the companies suction cup window holder in your cart on amazon and for me it was discounted to cost 0 when they were both in cart at checkout. They offer a "free gift" in the manual so I don't know if I just used that free gift or not yet adding the suction cup to the cart that way as it is on the list of free items in the brochure. The system can actually accommodate 4 wireless cameras if you want multiple angles and a discount to a second camera is on the list too.

It can also do "parking lines" like a built in car back up camera though they dont't curve when you turn the wheel (of course). I used those to put tape on the ground in the garage to help me line up my backing up in to the garage.

I will add some pics:
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210608_172348.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	256489

Name:	20210608_172404.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	256490

Name:	20210608_172218.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	256487

Name:	20210608_172235.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	256488

Its a bit hard to see but this last pic I drilled a small hole a bit larger than the barrel plug and put a grommet in it to keep from cutting the wire.

Tags
camera