Old 08-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #1

BAL 28050 Light Trailer Tire Leveler

Thinking about purchasing this for my Rockwood 2280bhesp. Wondered if anyone has used these and what your impression was. Thanks in advance
Bralbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:50 PM   #2

I have one and it worked great with my previous p-up (Fleetwood Westlake) you could roll up to your site, unhitch then throw the BAL under the low tire side & raise...done! No back & forward on wood & blocks. The ratchet that came with mine was useless so I had to upgrade that, which wasn't that big of a deal. The downside to them is they are fairly heavy & bulky and you really need some sort bag to put it in as it gets pretty messy, unless you have a truck bed to throw it in.
Unfortunately my p-up now is too heavy for my BAL, so I have switched to the Anderson Leveler.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #3

Pretty much exactly this ^^^ I wished I purchased mine sooner. The first year without one kind of sucked.

Some forum somewhere said that there was a certain warming pizza bag that you could purchase that was about the correct size for it. That's where we store ours just to keep grease at bay.

Like he said the ratchet that comes with it is mediocre at best, it'll start giving you some problems that first year I'm sure but it's a standard fit so it wouldn't be hard to find something different.

We also store our 30 amp extension cable in there as well which adds to the weight of the pizza bag if that's of concern.
Grnsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #4

We just got a HW277 and my wife purchased it without me even knowing what it is. I am glad she did. It really makes leveling it very easy. The one downside is that it is pretty big and it does not fit in any of the pass throughs on the trailer. Like others have said, people do recommend using a pizza bag to store it in.

The other downside i did find is that we do not have curbs here in Arizona where we live and the road turns into the sidewalk with a slight bump. The bal leveler does not fit in that space and we need to park the camper an extra foot or so off the side of the road to be able to level it on the street if we need to.
worp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnsl2 View Post
Some forum somewhere said that there was a certain warming pizza bag that you could purchase that was about the correct size for it. That's where we store ours just to keep grease at bay.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CDTLRW
Old 08-06-2020, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
That's the one!

Just so you know it's definitely a snug fit so mine actually has a little bit of a rip in it at the one end but it's definitely great to keep the grease out of the tow vehicle.

Not sure if something just slightly bigger would be better in any way or not. After all, it is made for pizza :-)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #7

Awesome thing to have loved mine
dwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Site Team

The BAL has been well known and well loved in the Popup community for many years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campworthy View Post
I have switched to the Anderson Leveler.
Ohhhh, be careful with that one. Read of owners damaging their rigs when spotter can't signal fast enough and they run over it and drop the camper. They need some wheel stop/chock like lynx levelers have (purchased separately). I have two lynx leveler chocks along with 4 bags of lynx levelers (10 in each bag). Love them! I only need at most with the pop up, 2 bags. I used 4 bags when I had the travel trailers for really unlevel sites.

How big is that BAL leveler? I want it's home to be in the dinette cabinet. That's where all the leveling stuff is and the only place I'll have it. Don't want it in the truck bed where it can be left home accidentally. It needs to live in the camper.

The BAL leveler is a nice idea but if your camper is to big, mines most likely there as well. Previously heard of them having issues with breaking welds and dropping the trailer. That seems to be fixed now.

Just looked it up at Camping World and it's only 1,700 lbs weight capacity. I'd be over that in a hurry when everyone is in the camper. Guess it's only for 8' to 10' box pop ups.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

I've never heard of the ball leveling breaking welds but if that's what you read so be it.

This wouldn't be something that you would ever store inside your camper unless you're on a completely level surface to raise the roof. 90% of the time it's going to travel with you your tow vehicle. Level is a must before you raise the roof.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #11

Quote:
I've never heard of the ball leveling breaking welds but if that's what you read so be it.

This wouldn't be something that you would ever store inside your camper unless you're on a completely level surface to raise the roof. 90% of the time it's going to travel with you your tow vehicle. Level is a must before you raise the roof.

Yeh, back in the mid 2000s. It was a hot topic at rv.net . Seems it was a hot topic on all the forums. Here's a thread about the issues.

All my leveling stuff is all in the dinette storage area that has outside access. After having the lynx levelers for 6 campers now, I really like them.

The BAL seems like a great idea but I guess it does have it's limitations.

Thanks
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #12

Really useful but can be hard to push under the wheel in grass... And to remove again with the tire size on ours.
One way round this when lowering is to put a small piece of wood under the wheel when you lower it so that when you take the BAL out it's free of the tire then you just drive off the wooden blocks

I had mine on max extension this weeked so about 4 inches lift.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
Yeh, back in the mid 2000s. It was a hot topic at rv.net . Seems it was a hot topic on all the forums. Here's a thread about the issues.

All my leveling stuff is all in the dinette storage area that has outside access. After having the lynx levelers for 6 campers now, I really like them.

The BAL seems like a great idea but I guess it does have it's limitations.

Thanks
Agreed. I carry 2 bags of Lynx in an outside-accessible storage compartment of my A-frame - usually only need 1. Cheaper and lighter and cleaner than the BAL. Easy to use, especially with a calibrated level mounted on the front of the camper. 1" = 1 Lynx block on the low side. Glance at the level, stick the correct number of Lynx blocks behind the low tire and back on. Distribute the remaining Lynx blocks under the tongue jack and stabilizers to reduce cranking.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
Ohhhh, be careful with that one. Read of owners damaging their rigs when spotter can't signal fast enough and they run over it and drop the camper.
Yep, have already decided to abandon it, after using it for the first time last weekend! We got up onto it okay, put in the chock, as soon as we unhitched, the chock slipped from under the leveler, pop-up violently jerked towards husbands leg as he was raising coupler off of hitch. Could have been disastrous!! Both the leveler & the chock have a smooth surface, so there's nothing for it to grip. Have tried the BAL and the Anderson and neither have worked for me, have decided to go back to the trusty basic wood & blocks!
Old 08-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #15

I'm not following the issue here...
When I put the BAL on the lower side of the camper I have already put regular plastic wedge chocks under the high side wheel.

Then put that BAL on and raise.
Where I had the BAL up at 4.5" lift, I hitched up and just before lowering the BAL I stuck two 2x6s under the wheel so I don't have to lower the BAL all the way down before it came free.
Take the BAL out, unchock the high side and drove off the blocks
PathfinderESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #16

Wood blocks.....safer and cheaper. Still have mine (I made them) in 1984.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:26 AM   #17

Smile BAL leveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bralbo View Post
Thinking about purchasing this for my Rockwood 2280bhesp. Wondered if anyone has used these and what your impression was. Thanks in advance
We have a Flagstaff 228BHSE same trailer I started strapping it down on the steps where it rode fine but I got tired of moving it in side every time I stopped. I have since bought a large storage chest for the front deck and I keep it in there with the drain hoses and my mother-in-law also rides in there. I use a 18V 1/2 in impact to adjust it put the stabilizers down. I bought a really deep 3/4 nut took the jack handle off drilled the nut and put a bolt thru it. The jack is not hard to crank It just takes forever to crank up and down. My drill is a little wimpy running the BAL I use that 1/2" impact for everything just back it off the clutch running the stabilizers. I took all 24 lug nuts off and put them back on the TV then check them with the Torque wrench and they were over 65 LBS with the clutch less than all the way up. Yes I am a lazy old man (70) I have to save my strength for roasting marsh mellows and making smores in the pie iron with the GK's A man has to know his limitations you know
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campworthy View Post
We got up onto it okay, put in the chock, as soon as we unhitched, the chock slipped from under the leveler, pop-up violently jerked towards husbands leg as he was raising coupler off of hitch. Could have been disastrous!! Both the leveler & the chock have a smooth surface, so there's nothing for it to grip.
You used the bal and chocks somehow in combo? Not clear what was on what tire. Chock under the leveler, do you mean those building blocks?

Typically Bal on low side tire, jack it up. Chock (with triangles) the opposite tire front and back then unhitch. Nothing to slip anywhere since the one tire is on the ground. Most campsites are level enough that this should be acceptable. Not sure how it would slip.

Glad hubby is okay, scary moment.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #19

Quote:
You used the bal and chocks somehow in combo? Not clear what was on what tire. Chock under the leveler, do you mean those building blocks?

Typically Bal on low side tire, jack it up. Chock (with triangles) the opposite tire front and back then unhitch. Nothing to slip anywhere since the one tire is on the ground. Most campsites are level enough that this should be acceptable. Not sure how it would slip.

Glad hubby is okay, scary moment.
The BAL I no longer use, I feel that my HW27KS is too heavy for it, we tried it a few times but it seem to just cut into the tire at an awkward angle with no lift.

I had moved onto the Anderson Leveller which is a curved leveler & chock combo (Mike91 tagged & warned me to be careful with the Anderson) it was my first time using it. I drove up onto the Anderson, then chocked under the Anderson (required) then chocked the low side of the pop-up. All looked good so we started to unhitch, as soon as the coupler raised off the ball the chock under the Anderson slipped part out (the chock & leveler both have smooth sides, so there's nothing to grip to each other)

For now I have retired my BAL & Anderson and will be using blocks, I have some of the yellow legos looking ones, but might order some Lynx Leveler Blocks. I know I must sound like a newbe but I have owned a pop-up for the last 11 years. I upgraded from a Fleetwood Westlake or a HW27KS in March and things seem so much more complicated with the HW, it's like I'm having to learn everything all over again. Lol!!

Tags
280, light, tire, trailer