Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #1

BAL leveler or leveling blocks

Just received this BAL leveler (Amazon.com: BAL R.V. Products Group 28050 Light Trailer Tire Leveler: Automotive) and was a little surprised at it's weight (heavy) and the fact that it only raises the tire about 6". I'm thinking the plastic leveling blocks will be lighter, easier, and cost less.

What do you all use to level the camper?

The only downside I see with the leveling blocks is that they will sit even on the ground but will still present an angle to the tire. Is this a problem?

I need something like this because I will be in a dispersed site 99% of the time and thus not level.
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #2

I first purchased the BAL leveler for my Rpod and got hooked on using it. We recently traded in the Rpod for a Vibe 6504 and I am happy to report that the BAL leveler works just as well on this trailer. I like the fact that besides just leveling the trailer, it also acts to chock the wheel in place.
cfernandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

If you park on soft ground using the blocks, I would advise to putting them on a 2 x 8 plank about 3'-4' long otherwise they will sink in the ground.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Always Learning

It's really a personal decision, but I'd be surprised if you need more than 6" of leveling. If you do- you can always pull onto wood and THEN using the BAL leveler.

Everyone that I know that has a BAL love it. They say its worth the bulk and weight.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #5

When I had my PUP I loved my BAL. I recently sold it to another PUP owner. I vote BAL of course. Park it put the BAL on the low side crank it till its level. Not to mention it also stabilizes the PUP better.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #6

Thanks all. Didn't think about the added time/complexity of setting up blocks and driving on to them, then rinse and repeat when it's not perfect. Found a couple mod ideas for storing the BAL, so I will keep it.
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
Thanks all. Didn't think about the added time/complexity of setting up blocks and driving on to them, then rinse and repeat when it's not perfect. Found a couple mod ideas for storing the BAL, so I will keep it.
I read a pizza delivery bag is a good storage idea for the BAL. I might go for that when I get mine.
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #8

6-foot 2x10
Much cheaper.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
6-foot 2x10
Much cheaper.
That's what I do. Go by Home Cheapo or Lowes and get an 8' 2x8 or 2x10, then saw it into 4 equal sections, and voila! You have leveling boards. Can't get much simpler than that.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

I use blocks. Just sort of old timey that way.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
6-foot 2x10
Much cheaper.
This is an age old debate. Was always fun to watch people get riled up on the pop-up forum I frequented when I had one.

Wood, lego blocks and BAL levelers all have pros and cons. We each decide which one is best for us.

(btw, in my pop-up, I was a wood kind of guy but wished I had a BAL. with my fifth wheel, I'm a wood AND lego kind of guy but wish I had a leveling system.)
Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #12

Oh boy it can be fun to watch these threads... In my PUP days I had a BAL. Loved the thing. A few times I had to use it bloody near full extended. VERY un-level sites.

Used wood for a while with my TT, but transitioned to lynx eventually. Then again the beauty of 30' of TT is being able to bring wood, lynx, whatever...

With the 5'r we have 4 point auto level. I've transitioned to using a button now. Ahh the sloth of camping.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #13

I just got a BAL leveler, and have used it twice. Really like it. Our first time we had no issue, nice hard pad in a campground. The second time, I had a problem getting it around the tire (soft ground in the yard). I was able to get it around the tire after I jacked it up with a car jack just enough to get the BAL around the tire then removed the jack and got it level. (I do have a PUP).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I just got a BAL leveler, and have used it twice. Really like it. Our first time we had no issue, nice hard pad in a campground. The second time, I had a problem getting it around the tire (soft ground in the yard). I was able to get it around the tire after I jacked it up with a car jack just enough to get the BAL around the tire then removed the jack and got it level. (I do have a PUP).
On the PUP forum I was on- people would say that they'd carry a piece of wood to set the BAL leveler on if the ground was too soft. Otherwise, they went with the leveler by itself.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
On the PUP forum I was on- people would say that they'd carry a piece of wood to set the BAL leveler on if the ground was too soft. Otherwise, they went with the leveler by itself.
Yes, I use the leveler by itself. Did not have a seem to have a problem with the BAL leveler sinking into the ground and the leveler worked well once we got it around the tire. Just could not slide it around the tire, the tire seemed to sink just enough so that the pads on the leveler would not go around the tire .. Once the tire was slightly elevated, the BAL went right around it. If it continues to be an issue, will remember the piece of wood though - thanks.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #16

i have a mini lite 2104s dual axle can the bal be used for this. would i need just one or two
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
i have a mini lite 2104s dual axle can the bal be used for this. would i need just one or two
Sadly, the BAL is only for single axles from what I know.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #18

I agree with ependydad. I tried to use it on a double axle one time and it failed miserably. Maybe they'll come up with a double axle version one day.
cfernandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #19

then im stuck with the wooden blocks i have been using
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote