RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #1

Battery connection

I have a 2015 rockwood premeir 2516g.
Iím struggling with battery connection. It has two red wires (one with a fuse), white and a black wire. I know white is ground and assume both red are positive. What about black wire?
Bestways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You didn't say the size of the wires so assuming the black is large it is more then likely the neg wire from the converter. The reds go to the positive side of the battery. with the black disconnected take your meter and check for continuity to ground (rig frame)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #3

In the world of rv's black could be either hot or common. If you can't trace the wire to its source get a cheap volt meter. In some instances they use the frame as common and there is only the power wire. The power(+) for my tongue jack is black.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #4

Attached is a picture of the battery cable connections on my 2016 Freedom 2318G. I had the same issue and was surprised to see that the black and white cables need to both be connected to negative terminal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Battery Cable Coonections.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	179380  
dschwerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #5

Two comments:

In this day and age of phones with cameras it's always a good idea to take a picture of just about anything you are about to disassemble or disconnect. This will give you a path back to reassembling or reconnecting correctly.

With wiring, if the battery was not there and you are trying to figure out which wire goes where the SAFEST way is to trace each wire back to where the other end is connected. In most battery systems at least one of the negative wires won't go far before it's connected to the frame. The other may enter a junction box where it joins other "ground" wires.

When you find out where each goes MARK THEM. Wrap the wire right next to the connector with color coded tape, black for Negative and Red for Positive (or white for Negative if you prefer). I have some black and red heat shrink tube that I used to mark my battery cables. The unused portion of the combination terminals on the battery are also painted. Positive Red and Negative Black just using some enamel I had laying around. The threaded stud is where I connect the battery cables and I keep those "wire brush clean.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery