Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #1

battery recommendation

Battery 24 series in my 2012 rockwood 1940 popup used primarily for raising/lowering roof. I have replaced interior/exterior lights with LED's to reduce draw the few times I use the lights briefrly at night when primitive camping; I do NOT use battery for fridge or anything else. Batteries have not lasted more than 1-2 years. I use a battery tender to keep it topped off and I many times jump assist when raising/lowering roof with my truck battery to assist battery; I plug into shore power first thing when available before raising roof. I have used autozone 690 to 800 amp Marine/ RV deep cycle battery types but do not last long...what model/brand to you suggest? Is there anything I am doing that I should not be doing? I even disconnect battery (both positive and negative leads) after raising/lowering roof to avoid drain on battery. Like most of you, want to get the pup ready for summer camping (mostly state parks with shore power). Would appreciate any suggestions on battery purchase!

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #2

Overuse doesn't seem to be an issue and the group 24 seems to meet your needs.

Routinely check the water level in the cells and when they need water used distilled water. I bought a Deka DC31 (group 31 size) battery for my trailer 4 years ago and it has been fine.

Just make sure the battery is a true deep cycle and not dual purpose or marine battery.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #3

I would put the biggest most amp battery that will fit! Two 6's is better

Trojan is a favorite. Costco sells interstate which is what I have. GC2's.

One should never discharge his battery more than 50% or, well you know the story. Kills them early. Get a voltmeter or monitor of some kind.

Add distilled water twice a year.

I often got 6-8 years out of AutoZone batteries in my boat.

Connect to the truck and use the truck while running to set up. However, some trucks do little for the battery. Wires too small.

Disconnect the battery when not used. Add a disconnect switch, not expensive.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #4

battery

Thanks for the replies! Will take at look at Trojan/ Interstate...would like any Florida campers to chime in...most 4 year-rated batteries last only 2 here where it is hot and humid, and that includes my truck and boat batteries.

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

Following.... I have a brand new camper (month old) and battery was dead 5 days after last time I used it. Had to jump it off my jeep at the campsite as the powercord was tucked inside PUP on its maiden voyage along with the hand crank....rookie mistake - they now live in my jeep
FLJeepChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Are you actually using a Battery Tender brand or a trickle charger? Some non-computer controlled chargers can overcharge or undercharge. The battery you are using should meet your simple requirements, however it is a dual purpose battery and not a true deep cycle battery. If you replace it, I would get a true deep cycle battery and maybe look at the CTEK 4step battery charger.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #7

anytime you get a dead battery and have to recharge you have killed at least 25% of it's capacity and shorten the lifespan...

any battery that resides in a popup needs to be a marine battery to help withstand the bouncing down the road... marine battery cells are built internally tougher to withstand that type of physical abuse...

OP stated he only briefly uses the battery to power his popup... two 6 VOLT Trojans are overkill in weight and capacity and $$$.

2 years even in FL heat is not much... Besides using your Tender, step up and get a smart charger for when the camper battery needs to be charged.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #8

The propane detector is using power 24/7 and will kill the battery over time.
drvred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery