Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #21

There is also the possibility that the detector its self has reached its end of life. Had the same symptoms on my unit, CO and propane, drove me crazy until I found out that some of these units have a life and will give warning alarm chirps when this situation has been crossed. If this is the situation the end of life date is printed and stamped on the back of the detector.
Eddy-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #22
Site Team

If the beeping stopped once you plugged it PUP into shore power, It was low battery. You need to either disconnect the battery or add a disconnect switch if you plan to store it more than a week without being connected to shore power.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #23

If your TT battery is weak, the propane detector will beep like a smoke detector with a low battery. Won't chirp on a landline, just after it's been "on its own" for a while.

Randy (& Elaine) Corbin
georandycorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:10 AM   #24

That's was exactly what happened.
sjlemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 AM   #25

Seems most pups and trailers have a In-Line fuse somewhere between the battery and where it enters thru the floor by the frame. Seems like most people don't know this. If I'm going to be unplugged for awhile, I pull the fuse and place it in the battery box for safe keeping.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlemi View Post
So, I plugged in the camper to power, never opened it but beeping stopped. Low battery alarm, I don't have a 7 pin connector on my truck but use a converter to make the 4 pin a 7 pin. When I'm driving connected its not charging . I think that was it.
Sjlemi,if your LTD unit has the Optional Elect.Brake system,you have "No Brakes" with your 4x7 setup to your TV! Also if you have Brakes they would NOT work in a "Breakaway Situation" either if your LTD battery is Dead! Youroo!!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:45 AM   #27
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Its probably the Smoke Detector chirping to let you know to replace the battery. Most chirp once every 20-30 seconds when its time. Be aware that they are not wired in to the campers 12 or 120 volt systems. they have 9volt batteries in them

Tim
Surprisingly ours actually takes 3 AA batteries. It started chirping a couple of weeks ago and I found one of the factory installed batteries had some corrosion on the negative end of the battery (Kidde brand battery).

I cleaned out the corrosion from the detector, replaced with better quality batteries and it hasn't chirped once since then as far as I know.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sjlemi,if your LTD unit has the Optional Elect.Brake system,you have "No Brakes" with your 4x7 setup to your TV! Also if you have Brakes they would NOT work in a "Breakaway Situation" either if your LTD battery is Dead! Youroo!!
When I bought it the dealer said the brake away would slow it down. Its light and haven't noticed any issues with breaking. My tv is a ford ranger 4x4 pickup
sjlemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlemi View Post
When I bought it the dealer said the brake away would slow it down. Its light and haven't noticed any issues with breaking. My tv is a ford ranger 4x4 pickup
I think I would "Break Away" from that Dealer! Youroo!!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #30

If your LP/CO detector is beeping, all you need to do to verify is open the camper door and look inside. It will be near the Converter and fuse/breaker panel. It should display a green light. If the light is red, it's a "fault" condition, and you won't mistake it for another alarm. It's loud and will be in your face.

If it's the smoke detector low-battery chirp, that's a very different sound. Just as a smoke detector ALARM is different from the low-battery alert, the LP/CO alarm is an actual ALARM...loud, long, persistent.

Assuming it's the LP/CO alarm, and assuming your battery is low:
1) The alarm SHOULD NOT sound from a low battery until battery voltage gets down to about 7 volts. If you're there, your battery may be toast. The battery should not drop below about 10.5 volts. As an indication of how low that is, I once boondocked and discharged the battery to the point it would not run the pump or turn on the LED lights! But the alarm did not sound.
(that level of battery discharge abuses the battery...not recommended!)
2) Some of these LP/CO alarms have been known to signal a low battery (via chirp, not alarm) with batteries that still deliver 12+ volts. That's a defect. As I said, the literature says the low battery alarm triggers at 7 volts...a nearly DEAD battery.
3) By the way, many things can fool the alarm: alcohol (wine, beer, spirits), cleaners, etc. all will fool the alarm and cause it to go off in full alarm mode. We once spilled some wine, not knowing that alcohol triggers the alarm, and we spent about an hour trying to figure out where the gas leak was.

Good luck.
P.S. If you don't usually do this, charge your battery immediately upon return from boondocking. It's hard on the battery to leave it discharged and it is hard on the battery to overcharge it. Fully charge it as soon as you get home, then pull the plug. Even an "abused" battery has a much better chance of recovering from excessive discharge if you charge it immediately. There are lots of threads on battery maintenance, so I won't repeat them here.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #31

I discovered that my LP/CO alarm would beep when I had things packed too close to it. I also found it would go off when I put the rubber wheel chocks inside the trailer. Switched to plastic and I haven't had an issue since.
Neinta is offline   Reply With Quote