Old 09-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #1

Best pop up for windy conditions

I need to buy a pop up (must be pop up due to garage) and it can't be more than 16-17 feet long. Looking at Rockwood A122 b/c it's hard sided and I will be camping in windy conditions and somebody told me that soft sided ones flap loudly in the wind and you won't be able to get to sleep. The problem with hard sided is they are not nearly as big and roomy of course. Is there some sort of hybrid that is soft sided/maximizes space, but super stable/tight/not so noisy in wind??
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #2

Owned popups for 25 years or more and can't recall being woken up by wind flapping the canvas. T-storms woke me up....Thunder, but I really can't recall the canvas waking us up. Guess it depends on how well you sleep. Lot's of Hybrids out there, but i'm not that familiar with them.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank View Post
I need to buy a pop up (must be pop up due to garage) and it can't be more than 16-17 feet long. Looking at Rockwood A122 b/c it's hard sided and I will be camping in windy conditions and somebody told me that soft sided ones flap loudly in the wind and you won't be able to get to sleep. The problem with hard sided is they are not nearly as big and roomy of course. Is there some sort of hybrid that is soft sided/maximizes space, but super stable/tight/not so noisy in wind??
We owned and enjoyed camping in a popup for many years. We rented them for several years before buying one. Living in Florida, camping in the summer with heavy storms, yes the ends flap in the wind but it is not disturbing usually. In all of our years, only one time was the wind so disturbing that we couldn't sleep. A huge storm whipped up, and at the time we were camping on a raised spit of land between two bodies of water which intensified the wind immensely. We were awakened by the storm, I went outside to roll up the awning and was literally lifted off the ground by the billowing. So I would not consider that "normal storm" circumstances. We've also owned a couple of very nice hybrids and there is a slight difference as far as stability because in a hybrid the sides are solid, not soft/flexible. But you do lose that open airy feeling of a pop up.

Over time we've evolved into a TT and are happy with the minimal set up and take down time needed because we are older. I didn't mind it at all when we had the pop up, in fact appreciated the exercise. My advice is get the pop up and enjoy the outdoors!!
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #4

We owned a pop-up for 15 years (we have a travel trailer now) and camped all over the Midwest.. SoDak, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc.

Can't say I was ever woke up by wind blowing (flapping) on the canvas. The top of the camper shifting, yes.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #5

does canvas flap? yes it does. Does it keep you awake at night? well that depends on how tired you are.

Older popups used exclusively a heavy cotton canvas, that was not very stiff, but newer units use a vinylized canvas that is a lot stiffer and more resistant to flappy with the wind.

If the flapping becomes a problem I would stake a bungie cord around the tent and take out some of the slack that is flapping in the wind.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #6

My first pop-up was a Bethany that the sleeping areas on this model was on the sides. Was in a really bad storm came up during the night and all of us sat on the sides to keep them attached to the camper. When the storm was over, saw a number of TT with trees laying on them. We are smarter today than back then.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #7

We switched from pop-ups to A-frames in 2014 (the A122 was our first because of the length in our garage at the time).

The wife much prefers the hard sides, I preferred the openness of all the windows in the canvas. However, the A-frames have windows on all sides and by using the roof vent, pretty effective ventilation can be set up. Condensation is much less with the A-frame, and heating and air conditioning much more effective.

Once the roof is latched, you do not feel the wind in a Forest River A-frame the way you do with pop-ups and tents. I have had our A-frames in winds that would have had me worried in the pop-up. Once that roof is latched, you are secure.

You do lose floor space with the A-frame because the bed is inside the box. But we lounge, cook, eat, clean outside. If you do those inside regularly, the A-frame tends to be a little small.

The fast setup and take-down is a real plus for the A-frame compared to the pop-up. And if we place it right, we can set up the A-frame inside the garage for even easier packing to go camping. We keep our A-frame stocked with everything but food and clothes, so we can be on our way within an hour of a "go" decision. Throw some food in the A-frame fridge, pack our gym bags with clothes for a few days, hook up, and go. This pays dividends in taking advantage of good weather weekends and weather windows October - May in Colorado. Quick setup and takedown makes overnights and long weekends a joy instead of a chore. But it all depends on your camping style.

just our experiences
Fred W
now 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
prev 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
prev 2000 Coleman Westlake pop-up
now 2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
prev 1993 Ford Explorer
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Is there some sort of hybrid that is soft sided/maximizes space, but super stable/tight/not so noisy in wind??
What about a Hybrid TT? Blend of a popup and a travel trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #9

I always enjoyed the canvas flapping in the wind. It was like white noise to me. I do miss the pop-up days but am much happier with the quick setup of a motorhome.
My RV experience was pop-up, (truck camper with parents), pop-up (early adult), hybrid, travel trailer, now motorhome.

Flapping is a feature
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
Tundra 2014

Pop-up

We had a pop-up for many years, now TT. Same as others, never was woken by wind. The newer "High sides" are easier to set-up and more comfortable to me. Still has the space of the pull-out beds, but eliminates the folding kitchen issues. We were always "messing with" the sink and hidden electric switch. We had one of the largest Coleman's they ever made W/ 2 king and a short full beds. We had 3 slides.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #11
Scoundrel

Had a 97 Viking and while camping in windy climates it flapped and shook like crazy. During one downslope wind storm in Draper Utah I had to unzip all the windows or risked having it destroyed. A hybrid TT as suggested by bikendan might be your answer.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #12
Tundra 2014

Hybrid

The Hybrid would definitely increase your ability to camp in more conditions comfortably. We live in TX and this was one of the big reasons we switched to a TT from Pop-Up. You would have the quicker set-up time and still the "camping" feeling. We had our routine down and it still took us 45 to set-up or break down our pop-up. As long as you have a TV able to pull it and it fits in the garage, a Hybrid is something to consider.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
The Hybrid would definitely increase your ability to camp in more conditions comfortably. We live in TX and this was one of the big reasons we switched to a TT from Pop-Up. You would have the quicker set-up time and still the "camping" feeling. We had our routine down and it still took us 45 to set-up or break down our pop-up. As long as you have a TV able to pull it and it fits in the garage, a Hybrid is something to consider.
I forgot that the OP wanted it to fit in the garage so a hybrid may not work. And they may not have a TV capable of towing a Hybrid.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #14
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I forgot that the OP wanted it to fit in the garage so a hybrid may not work. And they may not have a TV capable of towing a Hybrid.
We had three StarCraft pop-ups in the 70s and 80s and never had a problem with flapping.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #15

We enjoyed our 2 pop-ups and the Shamrock hybrid. Your situation got me thinking on how to get what you need and down deep in storage disk of my hard wired brain I remember someone who had a TrailManor camper. It is a Hi-low and the sides are like a TT basically the top raises and lowers. You might want to look into this and see if it might work for your needs.

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #16

A frame

We had a popup for 16 years and no real problem with storms and wind but I tarped over the entire unit every time out. We now have a 212HW AFrame, easy to setup, very water proof, we went thru a 70 mph straight line blow a month ago. the wife and grand kids played cards thru the storm. I was very impressed with how stable the AFrame was through the whole thing.

If you buy an AFrame, negotiate that they warranty the roof lifter for years,,,, poor design, fails, mfr ignores the issue.
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #17

Flapping in the Wind

Quote:
Hi just trying to understanding your question. You are looking for a pop up that doesnít flap in the wind. But whether a 5th wheel or travel trailer. If itís severely windy your gonna feel it. But really unless you live in a everyday windy area which is hard to believe. Just go out and get your pop up and hey it might be sunny and no stormy or windy on your trips. Itís like asking which is the safest vehicle to buy that is unlikely to get in a accident. Geez enjoy life itís short. Have fun Enjoy the ride. And hey if your out camping and it gets extremely windy. Put the family in a safe spot until the storm or windy conditions surpass. Thanks
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #18

A popup with the canvas is a giant sail. One windy camp out the winds were blowing very hard ahd our popup was rocking quite a bit. The stablizing legs do not provide much against the wind. We had to drop the popup down and sleep in the back of the truck (had a shell on it). One other event, I had; just starting to setup when I saw a dust devil coming towards me. I jumped in the truck and it hit the popup head on. Spun it 180 degrees. Luckily nothing was connected so no damage. Hooked the truck back up and turned it around and completed the setup.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:01 PM   #19

Never once heard canvas flapping on my pop up. Extend the rods to tighten it up if you can when it flaps.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhugo View Post
Never once heard canvas flapping on my pop up. Extend the rods to tighten it up if you can when it flaps.
Maybe you need better hearing aids? And I've never known any canvas pop-up or pop-out that didn't pop in the wind. It's just the nature of the beast. Canvas anything makes noise in the wind, which is the main reason we got rid of ours many years ago and never got another one......
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up