Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Best way to clean canvas

We are looking to shine up our Freedom before we head out on a family road trip. What are some tips to clean the canvas? I cleaned the hard shell with dish detergent and it came out great, can I do the same for canvas?
MCamper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #2

Talked to the folks who make it. Soft brush and warm water only.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #3

My literature says Oxyclean and a soft brush.
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft 17 View Post
Yes so does mine. I actually talked to the chemist at the factory that supplies the canvas. He said no way to oxyclean. Said maybe a tiny amount of dawn dish soap in the water and a super soft brush only. He also stated that they do not make the window material that's not covered in vinyl. He did not know what to use to clean that but stated that using even dish soap on that material may relieve it's waterproof ability. His recommendation was warm water soft brush, don't scrub too hard, and live with how it looks. He said it should last a very long time. He also said never to use any conditioners on it that it already had UV protectant built into it.
Bhugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

A hunch on the "windows." Most plastics tolerate rubbing alcohol reasonably well. I use it on the Plexiglas windshield on my bike, and it causes no clouding or discoloration. As with any cleaner, test it on a small, inconspicuous spot to see how it works.

As for bleaches...including Oxyclean which is an "oxygen bleach", the effect is more of an optical illusion than actual cleaning. How Does Bleach Work? | Wonderopolis
If you don't want to bleach the color out of your canvass, I think bleach is a bad idea.

Setting aside the problems cleansers may cause by deteriorating the canvass, choosing a cleanser starts with identifying the stain or source of "dirt." Actual dirt is easy to remove. But grease, pine pitch, mildew or mold, food, and so on each need a somewhat different approach.

I'm not making a recommendation, but one product that is generally mild and highly effective against oils and pine pitch is Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap. This blend of mild oils will dissolve any oil, grease, pine pitch and other oil-soluble soil. It's very gentle...my wife uses it in the shower as body wash. It's also an effective "soap"...like dish soap. Info: https://shop.drbronner.com/pure-castile-liquid-soap

If you test this on your camper, again, test in an inconspicuous area and see what happens. Considering my experience with this product, I think it would be a good option for most cleaning problems on your camper, and it should be safe. But I'm not a chemist.

As for the canvass surface being too delicate for dish soap, considering the natural elements to which it's exposed...from all manner of chemicals in rain to deposits from trees...I suspect it's far more durable. But that's just my opinion.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
A hunch on the "windows." Most plastics tolerate rubbing alcohol reasonably well. I use it on the Plexiglas windshield on my bike, and it causes no clouding or discoloration. As with any cleaner, test it on a small, inconspicuous spot to see how it works.

As for bleaches...including Oxyclean which is an "oxygen bleach", the effect is more of an optical illusion than actual cleaning. How Does Bleach Work? | Wonderopolis
If you don't want to bleach the color out of your canvass, I think bleach is a bad idea.

Setting aside the problems cleansers may cause by deteriorating the canvass, choosing a cleanser starts with identifying the stain or source of "dirt." Actual dirt is easy to remove. But grease, pine pitch, mildew or mold, food, and so on each need a somewhat different approach.

I'm not making a recommendation, but one product that is generally mild and highly effective against oils and pine pitch is Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap. This blend of mild oils will dissolve any oil, grease, pine pitch and other oil-soluble soil. It's very gentle...my wife uses it in the shower as body wash. It's also an effective "soap"...like dish soap. Info: https://shop.drbronner.com/pure-castile-liquid-soap

If you test this on your camper, again, test in an inconspicuous area and see what happens. Considering my experience with this product, I think it would be a good option for most cleaning problems on your camper, and it should be safe. But I'm not a chemist.

As for the canvass surface being too delicate for dish soap, considering the natural elements to which it's exposed...from all manner of chemicals in rain to deposits from trees...I suspect it's far more durable. But that's just my opinion.

I probably wasn't clear about what I meant with the windows. I was not speaking of the plastic ones, but the canvas ones on the sides of the bunk ends that are made of canvas that is not covered with vinyl. The company who makes the vinyl covered fabric does not make the non vinyl covered fabric.

He thought it might be sunbrella, but wasn't sure. I didn't try to find out who made that part of the canvas as mine had no problems.

As far as getting grease off the vinyl coated canvas, that's why I called him. I had some small. grease spots on the inside. He said dawn, which is detergent not soap, and not much. I would agree that Dr. Bronners is mild. Nice smelling too. If I remember correctly, he said that the fabric was 17 layers of chemicals and coatings and that no good could come from putting anything on it but water and that if he had grease on his, he would leave it! Ha.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #7

Below is the Cleaning Recommendations Sheet that came with my 2514g.

I see that the image did not show up so I am attaching it.

For the exterior, which is Lamilux Fiberglass RV Siding and Roof Material, Lamilux Care and Maintenance Instruction state "Wash your Lamilux fiberglass sidewalls regularly with liquid, nonabrasive cleaners designed for use on fiberglass surfaces such as RV's, boats, or fiberglass bathtubs. Be sure to follow directions on the package and try the cleaner in an inconspicuous area....Always be sure that cleaning compounds do not scratch or abrade tbe GEL coat surface. Do not ever dry wipe the gel coat as it may scratch. ...Waxing helps prolong the gel coat finish...Use non-abrasive waxes designed for use on fiberglass products, RV's, or boats..."

I use Camco RV Wash & Wax Cleaner for the Lamilux roof and sides. I use a microfibre cloth except on the roof where I also use a sponge to get the dirt out. The dirt does not come off by just spraying water on it from a hose.

I use Camco RV Awning Cleaner for the vinyl exterior tent parts and I have to use a microfibre cloth to get the dirt out that accumulates after use, particularly after rain that dries in valleys in the vinyl tent over the beds and slideout dining area.

For the awning, I usually have a mildew problem, so I use Camco Mildew Stain Remover. I am now going to try Mold Control after rinsing off the Camco Mildew Stain Remover to see if it will control the mildew.

For the screen room, there was mildew on the lower part and especially on the skirting pieces this spring. I cleaned this with Spray Nine Heavy Duty and it worked very well. Spray on, wipe off. I wanted to use RV Awning Cleaner but I didn't bring it with me, or Mold Control as I had done under the awning, but we were camping and I couldn't find Mold Control in the nearby town. Canadian Tire had a big special on Spray Nine, so that is what I used. From now on, I will likely use Camco RV Awning Cleaner for normal cleaning or Camco Mildew Stain Remover to remove mildew. It seems that no matter how hard I try, the screen room always has some dampness because the skirting is sitting on the ground and moisture accumulates there and then in packing up, this is the last thing and is hard to dry.

The awning has a similar problem. The top flap usually has some moisture when closing up the trailer, thus the mildew problem. The underside sometimes has condensation, and closing up leads to mildew.

At least we have been more careful with the tent parts, always got them dry, usually at home after a camping trip, so we have not had any mildew problems with that part.

The last thing to watch out for in cleaning, and I have gone way off topic, is the compartment at the front outside of the 2514g with the plastic slide out box. Humidity gets in there and causes mildew. The box and the inside of the compartment need cleaning and drying every year. Applying Mold Control to all of the surfaces and letting it dry should reduce the problem. I will know at the end of the season.

Anyone have any comments on these products?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer Cleaning Recommendations VRX-14.pdf (1.22 MB, 122 views)
2019: 40 2020:14 2021:0

Setups: 105 (including 20 at home)
John & Nathalie & Bernadette (the dog)
browj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #8

I'd like to see that mold control you talk about. Sounds useful.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #9

It's made by Concrobium. I also used it to kill some mold in the house and protect some construction materials against mold.

Here is the link:

http://www.concrobium.com/en-can/
2019: 40 2020:14 2021:0

Setups: 105 (including 20 at home)
John & Nathalie & Bernadette (the dog)
browj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
It's made by Concrobium. I also used it to kill some mold in the house and protect some construction materials against mold.

Here is the link:

http://www.concrobium.com/en-can/
Thanks much!
Bhugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft 17 View Post

Yes, talk to Manufacturer I wrote them and he sent me a 1-pager on cleaning bunk ends and mildew. See attached. Easy to make a solution and much cheaper than the bottles of cleaning products thru rv centres. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	147513Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	147514
NSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #12

Mold Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
Below is the Cleaning Recommendations Sheet that came with my 2514g.

I see that the image did not show up so I am attaching it.

For the exterior, which is Lamilux Fiberglass RV Siding and Roof Material, Lamilux Care and Maintenance Instruction state "Wash your Lamilux fiberglass sidewalls regularly with liquid, nonabrasive cleaners designed for use on fiberglass surfaces such as RV's, boats, or fiberglass bathtubs. Be sure to follow directions on the package and try the cleaner in an inconspicuous area....Always be sure that cleaning compounds do not scratch or abrade tbe GEL coat surface. Do not ever dry wipe the gel coat as it may scratch. ...Waxing helps prolong the gel coat finish...Use non-abrasive waxes designed for use on fiberglass products, RV's, or boats..."

I use Camco RV Wash & Wax Cleaner for the Lamilux roof and sides. I use a microfibre cloth except on the roof where I also use a sponge to get the dirt out. The dirt does not come off by just spraying water on it from a hose.

I use Camco RV Awning Cleaner for the vinyl exterior tent parts and I have to use a microfibre cloth to get the dirt out that accumulates after use, particularly after rain that dries in valleys in the vinyl tent over the beds and slideout dining area.

For the awning, I usually have a mildew problem, so I use Camco Mildew Stain Remover. I am now going to try Mold Control after rinsing off the Camco Mildew Stain Remover to see if it will control the mildew.

For the screen room, there was mildew on the lower part and especially on the skirting pieces this spring. I cleaned this with Spray Nine Heavy Duty and it worked very well. Spray on, wipe off. I wanted to use RV Awning Cleaner but I didn't bring it with me, or Mold Control as I had done under the awning, but we were camping and I couldn't find Mold Control in the nearby town. Canadian Tire had a big special on Spray Nine, so that is what I used. From now on, I will likely use Camco RV Awning Cleaner for normal cleaning or Camco Mildew Stain Remover to remove mildew. It seems that no matter how hard I try, the screen room always has some dampness because the skirting is sitting on the ground and moisture accumulates there and then in packing up, this is the last thing and is hard to dry.

The awning has a similar problem. The top flap usually has some moisture when closing up the trailer, thus the mildew problem. The underside sometimes has condensation, and closing up leads to mildew.

At least we have been more careful with the tent parts, always got them dry, usually at home after a camping trip, so we have not had any mildew problems with that part.

The last thing to watch out for in cleaning, and I have gone way off topic, is the compartment at the front outside of the 2514g with the plastic slide out box. Humidity gets in there and causes mildew. The box and the inside of the compartment need cleaning and drying every year. Applying Mold Control to all of the surfaces and letting it dry should reduce the problem. I will know at the end of the season.

Anyone have any comments on these products?
Hello,

I realize this is an old post but I have the 2014 - 2516G... I have black dots developing in the interior canvas of the tents. I was considering detaching the fabric and laying them out in the sun for easy cleaning. Any thoughts?
TryingOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingOBrien View Post
Hello,

I realize this is an old post but I have the 2014 - 2516G... I have black dots developing in the interior canvas of the tents. I was considering detaching the fabric and laying them out in the sun for easy cleaning. Any thoughts?

Use the Mildew recipe posted above. Spray on and leave. The dots will disappear like magic.
NSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #14

I called Forest River four years ago as I had some mildew spots on the inside of the canvas. The guy there actually told me to mix one part bleach, one part vinegar and one part water in a spray bottle and spray the mildew dots. He also said do not rinse. I did this but I believe it created a type of "mustard gas" as I had to run out of there even though windows, door and fan were open. I ended up with a scratchy throat, and wore a gas mask to finish. It makes me angry that he told me to use bleach on the canvas. So far, no visible damage. I hope I don't end up with rotting canvas
lori99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori99 View Post
I called Forest River four years ago as I had some mildew spots on the inside of the canvas. The guy there actually told me to mix one part bleach, one part vinegar and one part water in a spray bottle and spray the mildew dots. He also said do not rinse. I did this but I believe it created a type of "mustard gas" as I had to run out of there even though windows, door and fan were open. I ended up with a scratchy throat, and wore a gas mask to finish. It makes me angry that he told me to use bleach on the canvas. So far, no visible damage. I hope I don't end up with rotting canvas
You should have contacted the canvas manufacturer, which I believe is TJ Snuggles. They would have given you better advice.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:15 AM   #16

Bleach solution on Canvas

I see now as I read other posts, that Forest River actually sent a bleach, vinegar, water solution in writing to other members as well as the verbal instructions that they gave to me.
I am going to try that Concrobium next time I think.
lori99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You should have contacted the canvas manufacturer, which I believe is TJ Snuggles. They would have given you better advice.
TJ Snuggles is rather new for their tents. I got that from the lady who is helping me get some material when we talked about whole tent prices. So be careful to ask the correct manufacturer for your year.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
TJ Snuggles is rather new for their tents. I got that from the lady who is helping me get some material when we talked about whole tent prices. So be careful to ask the correct manufacturer for your year.
I know that TJ Snuggles was doing FR canvas since at least 2005.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I know that TJ Snuggles was doing FR canvas since at least 2005.
Well thats just what the lady told me. She never said the year. The advice is valid though as people seek support on prior to 2000 models fairly often on here.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote