Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 01:09 PM   #1

Black water procedure

Can someone walk me through the procedure with the black water at the end of a trip with a pop up (I’m a newbie)?

I have a HW276. I understand how to dump the tanks at the campsite, black first, then gray, but once the tank is empty, is that all good for storing it for a few weeks or do you want to pop it up once you’re back home and put some water with tank deodorant in there as well before storing it?

Thanks!
WISAZ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
RV There Yet?

Im assuming that you dont have a cassette tank but onboard tanks. your tank will have a vent on it. you dont have to do anything else besides dumping the black, then the grey. some people have a tank flush that you can connect a hose to and flush the tank a bit. not necessary, but helpful. no need to add water and chemical back to the tank for storage.

if you DO have a cassette, dump, rinse, repeat until clean. again, no chemical needed for storage.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #3

After dumping both tanks in my 276.....I would add some water to the black and treatment(if still at the site).
bwag1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

I may be misinformed but I've never heard of a popup with either a black water or grey water tank. If you have a toilet it is a cassette style.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I may be misinformed but I've never heard of a popup with either a black water or grey water tank. If you have a toilet it is a cassette style.
Here's what the specs say for the Rockwood HW276 Pop-Up...

Holding Tanks
Number Of Fresh Water Holding Tanks 1Total
Fresh Water Tank Capacity 26.0 gal.
Number Of Gray Water Holding Tanks 1Total
Gray Water Tank Capacity 12.0 gal.
Number Of Black Water Holding Tanks 1Total
Black Water Tank Capacity 12.0 gal.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISAZ13 View Post
I have a HW276. I understand how to dump the tanks at the campsite, black first, then gray, but once the tank is empty, is that all good for storing it for a few weeks or do you want to pop it up once you’re back home and put some water with tank deodorant in there as well before storing it?
I think you'd treat it the same as any rv with gray and blackwater tanks. Once you've dumped the black, then gray water, put in some blackwater tank treatment and the amount of water the treatment says on the package. Whether you do that at the campsite or at home depends on if you dump at the site or a dump station.
That way, the chemical (or natural treatment) will work on breaking up and dissolving anything that was left in the tank after draining and help keep it clean.
The only difference with a hard sided rv is whether you can do that with it closed up.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post

highwall popups have flush toilets with the black tank - not a cassette style toilet - and they have a gray tank -
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Can someone walk me through the procedure with the black water at the end of a trip with a pop up (I’m a newbie)?

Thanks!
I'm having the same thoughts as you. I have just upgraded to a HW from a regular Pop-up so now have to start thinking about gray/black tanks. I won't always want to pop up when I get home to flush the black tank out & I store mine in my garage so need to be mindful of smells. So here is my plans.
Under no circumstances will anyone poo in my pop up, it is to be used for wee's only! If I'm at a site with sewer, I plan on dumping, then flushing water down the loo and adding a chemical. If I'm not at a sewer site, I can dump at home but won't be able to flush the black tank, so I'm planning on just adding extra chemical when at the site. I don't think there's a perfect rinsing/flush solution on a HW unless you fully open it. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #9

If you don't want to reopen your pop-up when you get home, you might want to think about a flush valve.
Contrary to their claims, it will not send a jet of water that will clean the interior of the tank but will give you the ability to fill and drain your tank which will aid in the removal of remaining debris that might have been left behind.
Just be sure to not overfill your tank and cause a mess in the inside of your pop-up.

Check this out at Amazon.com
Valterra Flush King 45 Degree Reverse Flush Valve Attachment for RV, Camper, Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O9DV78..._awL4EbFCV4VY3
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #10

With only 12 gallon capacity I would put maybe a gallon of water back in and some calgone and powder laundry soap. The calgone will help dissolve solids and the laundry soap with smell
Old 06-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campworthy View Post
I'm having the same thoughts as you. I have just upgraded to a HW from a regular Pop-up so now have to start thinking about gray/black tanks. I won't always want to pop up when I get home to flush the black tank out & I store mine in my garage so need to be mindful of smells. So here is my plans.
Under no circumstances will anyone poo in my pop up, it is to be used for wee's only! If I'm at a site with sewer, I plan on dumping, then flushing water down the loo and adding a chemical. If I'm not at a sewer site, I can dump at home but won't be able to flush the black tank, so I'm planning on just adding extra chemical when at the site. I don't think there's a perfect rinsing/flush solution on a HW unless you fully open it. Good luck!
It always cracks me up when people don't poo in their trailer. Use your toilet, that's what it is for. Dump your tank when you leave the campsite, add a couple gallons of water along with a bit of Chemical and a big squirt of Dawn and drive home. You will not have any smell.
Dumping Black tank with#2 in it is no different than without #2. Enjoy your trailer.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #12

Just like everybody said. Black tank first, then grey and before you get on the road put a gallon of fresh water with a scoop of "Happy campers holding tank treatment" in each tank. No more odors and while you drive home the water will splash around in your tanks and keep them clean.
pibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibi View Post
Just like everybody said. Black tank first, then grey and before you get on the road put a gallon of fresh water with a scoop of "Happy campers holding tank treatment" in each tank. No more odors and while you drive home the water will splash around in your tanks and keep them clean.
Kinda hard to do when you are at a dump station when you have a pop-up that is closed up and you can't get to the toilet before you "hit the road".
One of the several reasons we never used the toilet in our hw 277.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #15

if you are not at a full hookup spot you may look into getting a movil black tank (I think it is call a tote). It'll be easier than opening your entire rig to flush tanks.
pibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
It always cracks me up when people don't poo in their trailer. Use your toilet, that's what it is for. Dump your tank when you leave the campsite, add a couple gallons of water along with a bit of Chemical and a big squirt of Dawn and drive home. You will not have any smell.
Dumping Black tank with#2 in it is no different than without #2. Enjoy your trailer.
So, your supposed to poo in your toilet? Maybe that's why I'm always stopped up even when I'm at the s&b.

DW's great aunt and uncle wouldn't use the toilet when they bought their first house with plumbing in the early 60's..
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Would I be right in guessing that you don't have a tent trailer? have you seen the bathroom in one? it's nothing but a firm curtain! Have you ever camped with my DH and experienced his 'camp poo'? seriously, very bad smell, he could tranquilize an elephant! The fact that my pillow is 14 inches from the toilet, there will be no poops in my pop-up...ever!
Old 06-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #18

Had a portable toilet when I had a popup with a tent bathhouse for privacy setup. Agree with the didn't want someone pooping 12" from my head with the only thing saving me being a shower curtain.

Much easier to utilize (No cranking the popup up when we got home unless we put it away in the rain/fog), easily dumped in a toilet at the campground on the way out or at home if need be, Privacy maintained along with the ability to enter the camper without fear at any time. Was a good $50-$60 investment.

Gave it to a friend that had a boat when we moved to a Travel trailer for his girlfriend to use on all day fishing trips.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Do you or have you ever owned a popup, which is what the OP has? And this thread is in the Tent Camper and Popup section so it's a much different world than other types of RVs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Do you or have you ever owned a popup, which is what the OP has? And this thread is in the Tent Camper and Popup section so it's a much different world than other types of RVs.
I have many trips in popups with cassette heads. Still far better than old outhouse's or State park public restrooms. What do you guys do when your out boondocking? Hold it?
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, water