Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #1

Broken bracket at spring tube

Hi everyone. Activating the winch to lift the pop up today with apparently one of the latches still latched has resulted in a broken spring tube. The pop up still lifts but it’s a few inches lower on one corner. Specifically, the bracket at one end of the front right spring tube that fastens in the middle of the system snapped. I’d like to repair this myself if possible. Can I just buy a new tube and swap out the old one? Looking for any input anyone can provide. Thanks in advance!! I’ve attached a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F29ED3D5-D7D9-41D2-A2E3-6C5B09BB8F0A.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	233934  
brandon.samples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #2

You’re looking for Goshen lift system parts. I believe there’s a few places that sell them.

https://popupparts.com/index.php?mai...ndex&cPath=4_9
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #3

Hi. I recently did the exact same thing! The bracket on the end of one of the spring tubes snapped. Exactly like your picture. By the looks of it I think I have to replace the spring tube because the bracket is welded onto the end of the spring tube. I was wondering if you were able to fix this yourself or ended up having someone do it for you. I found instructions on how to do so and I would unfortunately have to buy a set of 4 spring tubes costing 215.00. But I am wondering how hard it would be to replace the spring tube myself. Anybody out there replace a spring tube on their own?

As of now the roof still raises but is a little low on that one side. I end up propping a 2 x 3 to raise the roof on that side the extra inch or so. Not ideal but is working for me for now.
Rexford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #4

I just ordered a pair of front spring tubes, a new pair of springs (in case I bent one or both), and one tie bar (that keeps the spring tubes aligned) since it’s bent. I only broke one spring tube, but I slightly bent the other so I’m going to replace both. I ordered all the parts direct from Goshen Stamping. The parts cost me around $140. I’ll also have to pay shipping when they are ready since they are special order. I plan to install everything myself. I think it appears to be an easy job based on what I’ve read.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn’t know you could just order two tubes. That’s awesome. Much better price point. I too think I will order the springs as well. I found this video that looks like exactly what we need to do. Doesn’t look too hard. https://youtu.be/li-lF_DGHdM
Old 07-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #6

Just remember that shipping will probably be $80+ since they are really awkward sizes. So I’ll be around $210-$230 when all is said and done. But this way, I’ll get new springs as well and will not get spring tubes I don’t need (at this time). We just got back from camping with one corner about two inches too low. We just took it easy. We were able to make it work by just using a piece of wood to get that side higher to insert the safety post. And an apology to my wife that we had to rig our new(ish) camper in the first place due to my moment of stupid.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #7

P.s. They said it would probably be 2-3 weeks to get parts due to demand.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #8

Update: Received parts very quickly. Installed in a little over an hour. There were only a few challenging things like getting the springs into the spring tubes and getting the spring tubes aligned with the frame of the camper. Otherwise, it was no big deal. The camper is fixed. Hope this helps!
Old 08-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #9

Thank you so much for your update. I just got back from a wonderful camping trip. Kept my fingers crossed each time I raised the roof. The little cross bracket held the broken solder tubes together each time. Whew! I received the tubes and springs while I was away. I plan to install the tubes and maybe the springs tomorrow. Will post back tomorrow on how it goes.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #10

Sounds good! Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #11

All done. Took me like 3 hours. If I had to do it again it probably wouldn’t take me more than 30 minutes. Pretty easy job. I agree getting the springs back into the tubes was tricky. I cut my finger from hitting the sharp end where the nut goes. Should’ve worn gloves. Also pretty tricky getting the end of the tube lined up to the camper frame. To anyone out there that has tried to lift their top with one of the brackets latched and did what we did, ultimately breaking the tiny solder at the end of the spring tubes, this is definitely the way to go. Totally a job that most handy people can do. Saved myself a boatload of money not having to bring it into a shop. Thanks for your updates and all. It gave me the confidence to also do it myself. Appreciate it.