Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

Bunk fan/light ports on the light switch??

Hey all, I have a 2021 LTD1640 PUP (the smallest you can get), and discovered this issue. We got one of those bunk light/fan combos that plug into the Rockwood 5.5mm ceiling jacks. But those Jack’s seem to be powered by the same wiring going to our ceiling lights from a switch. This, I can only run the combo fan/light when the PUP’s ceiling lights are switched on. This somewhat negates the usefulness of the fan at night while trying to sleep.

Anyone have experience with or perspective into this. I need to somehow change where these ports are getting their 12V power from, but I really don’t want to get into wiring work in my ceiling. Thanks in advance!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4670.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	258465
Nrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

Do the ceiling lights have a separate switch on the light fixture itself?
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #3

Where did you purchase your fan? I ordered one from Amazon and it has a plug in like going to a guitar amp, does not fit my ceiling plug in my Rockwood pop up ESP. Thanks. Debbie
Old 07-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Do the ceiling lights have a separate switch on the light fixture itself?

No, it’s a pretty simple camper. Just a switch near the floor for lights. Lights are a dome light almost flush into the ceiling.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieSD View Post
Where did you purchase your fan? I ordered one from Amazon and it has a plug in like going to a guitar amp, does not fit my ceiling plug in my Rockwood pop up ESP. Thanks. Debbie

Debbie-
I KNOW! It’s a pain, but Rockwood changed over to use the 5.5mm connection a few years ago from what I’ve read. Despite Rockwood being such a big name in the industry, almost all those combos out there have the 1/4” (guitar amp) jack. I finally found these on HannaRV.com. I hunted for weeks, and can’t find one other retailer with these.

https://www.hannarv.com/P/36427/12Vo...-upTentCampers
Old 07-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #6

Oh my gosh, I’ve been looking for months for either an adapter or this fan with the 5.5 mm connection. You’ve saved my sanity! Thank you! I just ordered two.

Debbie in San Diego
Old 07-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #7

you should be able to turn the light off at the light. it may either be a push on the lens cover or a switch on the base of the light itself. the jack to the fan/light combo will still be powered.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
you should be able to turn the light off at the light. it may either be a push on the lens cover or a switch on the base of the light itself. the jack to the fan/light combo will still be powered.

Ha thanks, but that’s not my issue. The jack port seems to be powered from the wiring going to the camper ceiling lights. Meaning for the port to be powered, the camper lights must be on…which makes it impossible to use the fan at night when I want it dark.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrollins View Post
Ha thanks, but that’s not my issue. The jack port seems to be powered from the wiring going to the camper ceiling lights. Meaning for the port to be powered, the camper lights must be on…which makes it impossible to use the fan at night when I want it dark.
We are saying you would need to have the ceiling switch on, then go to each dome light and turn each light off (my hw277 has a button in the middle of the light to turn each light off/on).
Old 07-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #10

yes, turn on the wall switch to power the lights, then turn off the lights individually which is usually a small switch on the base of the light itself. the fan port will still be powered.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie240 View Post
We are saying you would need to have the ceiling switch on, then go to each dome light and turn each light off (my hw277 has a button in the middle of the light to turn each light off/on).

Gotcha, but my lights don’t have switches on them…that switch is the ceiling switch I’ve discussed. Another way to put this is the combo fan/light jack is on the same switch as my overhead lights…which sucks.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
yes, turn on the wall switch to power the lights, then turn off the lights individually which is usually a small switch on the base of the light itself. the fan port will still be powered.

Yeah, not an option as a small PUP like this has very simple lights. They are simply switched by the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lightin...ag=tapainc-20t
Old 07-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Yeah, not an option as a small PUP like this has very simple lights. They are simply switched by the switch.
So you could just put in a separate switch for the light and leave the existing switch on.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lightin...ag=tapainc-20t

these lights you have posted the link to - are they what you have in the pup? - they have a switch on the lens. so where does the fan combo plug into?
Old 07-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #15

Quote:
these lights you have posted the link to - are they what you have in the pup? - they have a switch on the lens. so where does the fan combo plug into?

The lights I have are discs like what you see there. Mine do not have a switch on the light
Old 07-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
So you could just put in a separate switch for the light and leave the existing switch on.

I guess that’s what I have to solve. There’s no easy way to do what you’re saying given that the ceiling jacks seem to be immediately jumped off the lights wiring. What you suggest would require running all new wiring through the encapsulated ceiling assembly as best I see it
Old 07-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #17

Don't think it was mentioned but seems the easiest solution would be to order new dome lights with a switch on them.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #18

Quote:
I guess that’s what I have to solve. There’s no easy way to do what you’re saying given that the ceiling jacks seem to be immediately jumped off the lights wiring. What you suggest would require running all new wiring through the encapsulated ceiling assembly as best I see it
No you would just have to locate the switch on the two wires that go to the light. You could even do it with a wireless connection like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
bunk, fan, light, switch