Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

Bunk fans & ceiling lights issue

Hi everyone. I’m new here. I hope someone can help me.

I bought a brand new rockwood 1940ltd camper recently. I did not make any change to the electrical system. I recently purchased on amazon a combo fan/light for the bunk bed. That plugs in the 5mm outlet located on the ceiling. It plugs well, works well also.. but only while the ceiling lights are on! When I shut down the interior lights at night to sleep it shuts down the circuit that powers the bunk fans as well!!!?? Is this normal? Where can I find information on how the 12v circuit is wired to solve this.

thanks in advance for your replies
simfec99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #2

sounds like they simply wired the USB outlet as daisy-chained from AFTER the switch to the light... if so, you could remove the light, find the wire that has constant power, and pigtail it to the USB power wire, bypassing the 'switch' from the light effecting it.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #3

Your ceiling lights should have individual switches on the lights. Turn the lights on from the master switch, turn lights off individually, and you should have power.

This may not be real convenient because of the reach to the lights; that's why there is a master switch.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame (no master for roof lights, but lights are lower on an A-frame than on a pop-up)

2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #4

I think this is typical. Our 2017 Forest River is the same way. Think of the switch by the door more like a master switch for everything inside. The easy solution is to just turn the lights off individually to keep power to the ceiling for the fan lights.

The ceiling LEDs have a switch in the center, a tiny push button, in case you were wondering...
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

2020 HW296 ours is the same we just turn the lights off individually.
sjwieland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #6

Unhappy 2021 206 LTD cannot run fan at night either

I have a very similar situation: I just purchased a 2021 206 LTD as well as the optional bunk light/fan combo. Our overhead dome lights do not have any power switch on them at all, we closely inspected all around dome light as well as trying to push them on/off. The only way to cut power is by flipping the switch mounted near the door which in turn also cuts power to the bunk light/fan connect with the 1/4" jack. Can anyone confirm the Forest River makes dome lights w/o any power switch on the light itself? I just want to make sure I haven't lost my mind, haha. Also, splicing the wire and pig-tailing to the USB power (if it exists in ceiling) seems doable but I don't love the idea of tearing into my brand new camper and rigging wires in just my second week of ownership.
mjalbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #7

My 2318G is the same. The master switch controls bunk lights, puck lights and the vent fan. If the interior lights are hard to reach, maybe keep a poker handy (such as a pencil)? Or do as my wife does....make me get out of bed to turn off a light!
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #8

yeah I confirmed the master switch is the only control for everything. I feel like every light should have its own switch and also the port for the bunk fan/light combo should be on its own constant power so you can turn a light on/off from the bunk and also run the fan at night. I am going to look at replacement dome lights that have a built in switch since I already spent $60 on the light/fan combo from the dealer on the day we purchased the camper.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #9

dome light push button!

UPDATE: I found the on/off switch! Not sure what we were looking at last camping trip, but I inspected the dome lights again and sure enough, right in the middle of the cover is a push-button on/off switch! Wow, don't I feel silly. Thanks for the insight everyone, I'm heading back to the campground!
P.S. This discovery makes the bunk fan/light combo WELL worth the $$, I highly recommend.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Wow, don't I feel silly. Thanks for the insight everyone, I'm heading back to the campground!
glad you solved your problem... before I think that I have found someone else's error, I always assume "operator error first"... and I am usually right

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #11

Don't feel silly. When I first set up my camper in the driveway, I thought sure something must be wrong since the only lights that worked were the patio lights. No fan, no lights, no bunk lights, etc. Even pulled and checked fuses. Then I came here to the forum and discovered that the light switch by the door was a master switch . I think we've all been there at one point or another....just glad to live in an age when the answer is usually quick to find via internet.
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, fan, light