Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #1

Bunk fans go off with main ceiling light

Headed out for our first trip in our 2021 HW 277 and at bed time turned the main ceiling lights off and to my surprise the bunk lights lose power? What is the point if you cannot use them at night when the light is off? Did they wire me wrong ? I would have imagined that if floor lights were on then they would work at night . Please helps- not a lot of info on how they should work. Thanks!
richjshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richjshaw View Post
Headed out for our first trip in our 2021 HW 277 and at bed time turned the main ceiling lights off and to my surprise the bunk lights lose power? What is the point if you cannot use them at night when the light is off? Did they wire me wrong ? I would have imagined that if floor lights were on then they would work at night . Please helps- not a lot of info on how they should work. Thanks!
Maybe the light has a separate switch on it so you can turn it on and off so you can gave the fan on without the light. Not the best way to do it but it wouldn't surprise me.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:07 AM   #3

There is only one circuit as it goes from the wall switch, through the roof safety switch and to the lights on the ceiling. You'll nees to turn off the individual lights. All of the lights, bunk fan ports (my pup had the fan ports integral with the lights themself) an we the roof vent all are circuited together.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:46 AM   #4

no you are not wired wrong. Our 2010 HW277 that we had worked the same way. we would turn on the master switch when we set up. All lights were turned off or on individually by the switch at the base of each light. Then when closing up, turn off the master switch to ensure that all lights are off and that they do not get turned on accidentally after you have closed up.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

I have a 2020 HW 296 with the same lame, lazy non thought out wiring nonsense.
The extra "plug in" reading light/fan will NOT go on unless ALL the ceiling lights are on too. Kind of cancels out the idea of an individual reading light for some one who might be up later than others.
I was frankly stunned at the poor design installed into a "high end" (?) camper.
Eric Hoffmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #6

I'm with babock, main light probably has a separate switch on it.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hoffmeyer View Post
The extra "plug in" reading light/fan will NOT go on unless ALL the ceiling lights are on too. Kind of cancels out the idea of an individual reading light for some one who might be up later than others.
I was frankly stunned at the poor design installed into a "high end" (?) camper.
Just don't look at the wiring behind the converter.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #8

Nor all the debris left in areas they wouldn't expect you to visit
Old 07-11-2020, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Nor all the debris left in areas they wouldn't expect you to visit
No kidding! My pup was 4 years old when I got it. Still hit it with the shop vac. I need to open up all the cubbies on the new TT and go at it. I'm in the middle of a lithium install and the vac will be needed...
Old 07-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hoffmeyer View Post

I guess it all depends, i did not find it a "poor design" - i liked that i could turn off the whole circuit with the one switch - but when on, i had maximum flexibility to turn on which lights i wanted or off individually. In fact we usually had only two lights on max ever. Some lights, we rarely turned on. now the fact that the ceiling lights were too high for us - that was more an issue, but a cheap bamboo back scratcher was our solution to that. Turn off the light and get a back scratch - double duty LOL.

and my current hybrid works the same way - master switch and turn each light on/off individually -
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:37 PM   #11

Thanks...to everyone... the problem was we arrived late at night on our first trip (yes I know... but to be fair I had a puncture on my own driveway!) - when the lights were on - you cannot actually see the switch in the center of the light as its brightly lit as the rest of it! Problem solved... thanks
richjshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #12

It took me a minute to figure out how to turn off the individual lights as well, now that I know I like the system.

You can turn on lights as needed, say the bathroom light only. Or you can turn on the light closest to you, which may be closer than the main switch.

I feel like keeping the wiring system as simple as possible is a good idea, it makes troubleshooting any problems simple.
geojag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #13

No big deal richj, ask how many people went to drain their black tank and realized the valves open when they undid the cap

Tags
bunk, fan, light