Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #1

Camper cover

I live in western NY so we get quite a bit of snow and weather during the winter. Is there an advantage to doing some kind of cover for the camper while it is parked? Do they help or just trap moisture? If they do help any suggestions on ones better than others?
ekskp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #2

This gets asked here a lot, so you can do a search. There are a few people who don't see the merit in a cover, but you can also do a search here, or in any camper forum and read about all the water damage done to campers every year from snow, rain and exposure. More damage comes from water or snow than any other one thing. Seems like a no brainer to me. I jam my double axle high-wall popup into my garage and it stays dry and clean. If I couldn't do that, I would definitely get a cover.
michigan_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:40 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

When we bought our TT in August 2013, we also bought a cover for it. Covered it for 3 winters so here's my take on covers.

1) Putting the cover on your RV takes at least an hour - depends on size of RV.

2) Need a rope to pull the cover from the ground to the roof.

3) Takes 2 people to put the cover on, 1 on ground, 1 on roof.

4) Lots of objects on the roof the cover will catch on if you try to drag it across the roof.

5) Almost impossible to fold/unfold cover while on the roof.

6) Crawling under the camper to route the straps from one side to the other. I had to route 1 strap through the back side of the front tires by crawling between the axles. The first and last straps I had to fit them around the stabilizers so they wouldn't chafe.

7) Cover can develop dips that hold water/ice in the spring, 8"x3'x1/2" piece of ice between vent cover and antenna during a cold spring.

8) Almost always the underside of cover is wet when removing.

9) Large enough area to lay out the cover to dry, mold and mildew damage the cover if stored damp. The last spring we removed the cover it rained periodically for 5 days).

10) At least 1/2 hour and 2 people to fold and roll up the cover so it fits inside the storage bag.

11) Out of the way place to store the cover for 6 months.

12) If you need get in the RV while it is covered you will have to undo at least 1 strap, even with the zippered access panel. Not all panels line up with the door(s). You may need a step ladder to unzip the panel high enough to clear the door.

Since we stopped covering the camper I have not found any damage caused by rain, snow or exposure. Personally, I now think covering your RV is a waste of time and money. The covers actually have short 3 to 5 year lifespan. If you register it with the manufacturer they will start bugging you to replace it just before the warranty runs out. We bought our cover from Camping World, both ADCO and CW sent us 2 postcards each at the end of the warranty.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 AM   #4

I will always cover mine ! i'm 58 and i can get cover up latter by myself ... yes you half to be careful and if you can get help it is easier .I think the damage from a leak way out ways the time it takes to put the cover on . Imo
aupainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:44 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Waste of money and time.

And, the warranty on them is basically useless as most of the problems you will have with a cover...ironically they won't cover!

Most covers around here and my former place of residence (Colorado) covers last maybe 3-6 months before the wind rips them to shreds...and damages the RV they were supposed to protect.

But if it makes you feel better...cover it!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #6

You will get opinions both ways to me it is a waste of time and money they usually only last a few years (2-3 at most).

They can cause damage to a trailer if a cheap type or installed improperly...... The only cover worth having is a metal carport type. Just my opinion.

But some swear by them........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

In the South-East a tarp/cover is helpful to slow sun damage which can lead to water damage. That being said the cover needs to be well vented. I've used the better quality HF tarps for years with no damaged to TT. They must be installed properly. I have a low frame of PVC which keeps the tarps from laying on the roof and to allow for air flow. Use bungees that are in line with tie-down ropes. I am not very worryed about water leakage thru the tarps because I maintain my roof. Borrowed the idea from the way boats are tented. The poly tarps can be put away wet.
strgrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Site Team

As mentioned, you will get pros and cons from members who are convinced their way is right. That being said I have always covered and am happy with the results. A few things I learned.
When you uncover. Pull up the sides fold them into the center then roll the cover from one end to the other. When replacing it. you can just unroll it and drop down the sides. I use a painters extension with a hook on it to pull the straps under the trailer to connect. For items like antennas, I use a plastic tote upside down to prevent cover from catching or damaging it. I use 1" foam pipe insulation around the edges of the tote to protect the roof. If you have a unit with a squared off back and a sloped front Installing the back part of the cover first makes the job simple. For us uncovering is about 15 minutes and covering maybe 20--25. Covering prevents paint/decal fade and keeps critters out of AC unit.I am convinced it also extends the life of the roof. Not an exact science, but my experiences.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, cover