RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Can I seal the plywood

The front and back beds on my pop-up are difficult to slide, and is leaving a lot of sawdust inside (it's still very new)

Would it be a good idea to seal the plywood (under the beds on the outside) with some paint of lacquer?

I imagine that would help reduce the amount of wood dust and make it slide easier. I'm also going to lubricate the tracks.

Thanks
Milk_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
Grammar Pedant

I have always read that you do not want to seal the bed ends of a pop up. You want those untreated and open to breathe.

With that said, you shouldn't be grinding away at your beds to the point of creating sawdust. There shouldn't be any drag of the bed. It should slide in and out freely and unencumbered. Somethings sounds wrong to me.

You said it's new, so I recommend calling the dealer.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #3

I would tape off the friction spots and use a dry graphite spry to impregnate the wood. I did this with a sliding barn door in my shop and after a few sprays it reduced the friction and no longer digs into the wood. You might also want to look at the rollers in your slide frame. The grinding wood might be a sign that the rollers are bad.
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal