Old 01-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #1

Caution when ordering parts from Forest River

I needed a roof sideboard to repair my HW27SC. I had made the other side board that I replaced several years ago, but thought I would check on what the factory part would cost. Forest River had the part and it would be $71.26. They would not quote shipping as they said that they did not know what it would cost. I expected it to be $75 - $100 as it is an oversized item. I received the shipping notice today and was charged $418.07 total. $71.26 plus $17.18 Tax and $329.00 Shipping. . This is ridiculous that shipping would cost 4+ times the cost of the item. I certainly would not have ordered it had I known that. I have ordered other parts from them and the shipping has always ran about the same as the cost of the item. Just be aware of their shipping charges if you order from them.

cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

Many times the shipping cost are way higher then the actual part due to the size and method required to ship the item. I found that out replacing finder parts on my old class A

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #3

I've ordered many large heavy items off Amazon and got free shipping, or at least minimal shipping. I think the RV industry is more interested in building trailers than selling parts. some things aren't even available after 1 year, or color scheme changes.

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

Just a thought. If you have a good relationship with your dealer maybe FR could ship it in a unit coming to them and you could pick it up. Should not incur any shipping charges that way.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #5

If you ship a large item say on a pallet and it comes by truck (LTL- less than truck load) you will pay for a 200 lbs minimum even if the part on the pallet is only 18 lbs. Shipping to a street address without a loading dock will also jack up the cost as they then need a lift gate truck (yes they charge extra).
Items get a freight classification code and this is used to calculate standardized shipping costs.
Always ask for a freight quote before making your decisions to ship LTL cargo.
MtBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
D W

Yup, as stated above, welcome to the world of motor freight LTL charges. I have found out that in cases like this it is best to fabricate the part yourself, (if you're handy). If not, have a local fab shop do it. You'll pay for time and material, but you won't have an exorbitant freight charge. Here in Alaska that freight charge would have been triple that amount!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #7

I recently mailed a $4 tee shirt 400 miles away to my granddaughter. Cost me $19.25. I love Amazon Prime lol

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Just a thought. If you have a good relationship with your dealer maybe FR could ship it in a unit coming to them and you could pick it up. Should not incur any shipping charges that way.
I recently traded in a camper that had some damage on a small panel. The dealer had the same complaint as the OP: the part was not expensive but he said the shipping was outrageous.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #9

Follow up on my original post. I emailed Ryan at Forest River concerning the shipping charges. He indicated that they did not have anything to do with these charges, but he also felt that it was excessive. He spoke to a supervisor. I could return the item with a 15% restocking fee plus shipping, which was not an option. They also offered to credit me back $150 to help with the charges. This makes the shipping charges about $179.00, still high, but since the part has already shipped and I have been charged, I really have no other option. Had I known this before, I would have built it myself as before. I do commend Forest River customer service for working with me on this issue. They did not have to offer me any compensation, but did choose to do so. When it gets here, time to get to work.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #10

I'm curious - given the dimensions and weight of whatever this thing is - what would it have cost *you* to package and ship the item the same distance?

I am not making any argument as to whether what they charged you was reasonable or not, but the sale price of an item has no bearing on what it costs to ship.

By refunding you 150 bucks, they effectively gave you the item for free *and* discounted shipping by $75.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
I recently mailed a $4 tee shirt 400 miles away to my granddaughter. Cost me $19.25. I love Amazon Prime lol
Amazon has leveraged a loophole in the USPS pricing scheme and on top of that they have been given an additional secret deal nobody else can get or even know the actual details of. It works out to about $2 a box no matter the size or weight. It's going to bankrupt the Post Office as anything that could possibly be done at that rate without a loss isn't given to the post office.

FedEx has dropped Amazon because they know it's a loser at the rates everyone is bidding to get the work. UPS does it but at a much higher rate and the rates vary depending on how hard the delivery will be. The post office is saddled with the universal delivery standards meaning innthe city or 50 miles down a back road everyone pays the same.

That Tshirt in a flat rate priority box would have been under $7, probably overnight with that distance, and included a free box
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #12

Ordering anything without knowing what shipping is going to coast is something that I would never do. I want to know the total cost before they get my credit card number.

BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, parts