Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2022, 11:03 AM   #1

Clarification on Lift System and Jack Post Maintenance

I know this is asked often, but I'm looking for specifics, mostly around the materials to use and specific application.

2014 Forest River Rockwood Premier (2516G) with Goshen 2660 lift system and Powerwinch

After reading the manuals and other threads this is what I'm planning to do. I also have some questions. Can you please advise on this? Thank you.

LIFTER SYSTEM

1. For the lifter posts at each corner, spray with silicone spray (i.e. CRC heavy duty silicone spray, or similar). Is this the right stuff to use?

2. Lubricate springs - the manual says use 30 weight oil. I assume this is the SAE 30 motor oil, right? The FR manual states to lubricate in the opening between each segment. Online posts mention removing the bracket underneath and squirting oil there. But, will it completely lubricate the spring that way?

3. Grease the zerks on the front, bottom and top of master tube. But, what type of grease? What specification should I look for? How many pumps, or where should I look for the grease to exit?

POWERWINCH

1. The manual states to lubricate the cable with 30 weight motor oil. Is this the standard SAE motor oil? Where and how exactly do I lubricate the cable?

2. The manual states to lubricate the worm drive and gear using extreme-pressure lithium complex grease, NLGI #2. How do I do that? Just spread some into the drive and gears with my finger?

ELECTRIC JACK and COUPLER

1. The FR manual just states to keep threads and moving parts lubricated. With what and how?

2. It also states to grease the release lever and coupler socket. Again, what material?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Phizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:25 PM   #2

I've read the manuals just as you obviously have....and am left asking the same questions! Really need specific instructions (explain like I am 5 years old) if you are not accustomed to this stuff. Must be someone on this board who can walk folks like us through.

I did lubricate the POWERWINCH cable. Poured SAE 30 motor oil (yes, the regular stuff you put in your car and sold everywhere) onto a rag, crawled under the trailer and slid the rag down the length of the cable. Is this how it should be done??? I have no idea.

Wish I could offer more, but hoping my reply at least gives this thread a bump and catches the eyes of someone willing to lay it all out for us. Thanks
1step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:44 AM   #3

It can be confusing, this is from the FR tent camper owners manual I have:

Crank-Up Lift System
To help protect your Limited Warranty, you must perform
general maintenance and regular inspections. Failure to
provide proper service maintenance is easily recognized
as it is reflected in the condition of your camper.
Care And Maintenance

Power-Winch System
Refer to your power winch owner’s manual for operating
and maintenance information.
Inspect and Service Yearly
1. Clean and recoat lifter posts externally with a rust
prohibitive, non-drying lubricant.

2. Annually grease zerks on front, bottom and top of
master tube. (I use the same grease used I put in the axles, its just lubrication for slow moving sliding parts so not rocket science)

3. Lubricate springs and cables annually by raising the
roof to the UP position. At each segment of the telescoping post, lubricate with 30-weight oil, taking
care to inject the oil into the opening between the
posts. To help avoid tent damage, immediately
remove any excess oil on the external portion of the
post.

Bed Slides
Lubricate frequently with silicone to ensure easy
operation.

Roof Vent
Frequently check the roof vent for debris which may
block air flow or jam the cranking mechanism. Lubricate
the mechanism with light oil.

The F.R. manual is FULL of guidance for various maintenance beyond mechanical systems so I recommend finding your manual on their manuals download page and giving it a read if you have not. Did you know you are supposed to buff/wax the roof 2 times a year?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FR1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	271877
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:39 PM   #4

I did read through the FR manual as well as every component manual. My questions above were left over after reviewing it. It provides information but not always the specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
The F.R. manual is FULL of guidance for various maintenance beyond mechanical systems so I recommend finding your manual on their manuals download page and giving it a read if you have not. Did you know you are supposed to buff/wax the roof 2 times a year?

Attachment 271877
Old 04-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizy View Post
I did read through the FR manual as well as every component manual. My questions above were left over after reviewing it. It provides information but not always the specifics.
You may be overthinking this I am almost always in to specifics with maintenance when it comes to my car but 99% of this thing is low pressure/temp metal to metal contact so in the end this is just to make it slip past easier. Its not really that important exactly what type of lubricant. Axles, yes. spring/lifters/cable - not so much.

if it helps I use a turkey baster injection needle to lubricate the lifter posts and to deliver oil specifically between the interface between two posts as the manual specifies.

Yes you can use your fingers to lubricate the cable but bottom line, putting a cap full of oil on the "wound up winch" cable then running it back and forth will lube it up too.

I did drop the Goshen tubes from the 4 camper corners after supporting the roof open about 6 inches and manually apply grease to that end of the spring steel inside the tube since it was DRY. The purpose of opening a bit and supporting the roof before dropping was to make it easier to put them back on. I dropped one and it was difficult to get the spring steel back in place all the way up in to the lifter while it was locked closed.

I think in this case, if they specify a product or type NLG1 etc... then use that. If not use your best judgement because in the end it doesnt matter that much in that specific instance.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #6

Yes! I am over thinking this. I tend to do that and you called me on it quite well! haha. Thank you!

So, I had completed the maintenance this past weekend and everything moved so much better!

I did put a bit of oil on the cable, but I'm going to put some Li grease on it instead.

During the maintenance I noticed that there was a small kink in the cable and a couple torn strands (I have another post on it). So, I have a replacement cable on order. With the Goshen system, this looks like an easy thing to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
You may be overthinking this
Old 05-26-2022, 02:30 PM   #7

You all need to invest in an oil can for this job, makes it much easier. Such as: Oil Can - buy USA!!! screw china Fill it with SAE 30, lift the roof. Couple pumps here and there on the springs inbetween the posts, then get under it and couple pumps on the cable on the reel, which is rolled up for you.

Use marine grade all purpose lithium NLGI #2 (red) for the zerks on the tube

Use garage door dry-lube for the posts, pully in the back, and the winch gears

Easy maintenance
jcrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #8

See answers in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizy View Post
I know this is asked often, but I'm looking for specifics, mostly around the materials to use and specific application.

2014 Forest River Rockwood Premier (2516G) with Goshen 2660 lift system and Powerwinch

After reading the manuals and other threads this is what I'm planning to do. I also have some questions. Can you please advise on this? Thank you.

LIFTER SYSTEM

1. For the lifter posts at each corner, spray with silicone spray (i.e. CRC heavy duty silicone spray, or similar). Is this the right stuff to use? Sure, I think garage door spray works the best

2. Lubricate springs - the manual says use 30 weight oil. I assume this is the SAE 30 motor oil, right? The FR manual states to lubricate in the opening between each segment. Online posts mention removing the bracket underneath and squirting oil there. But, will it completely lubricate the spring that way? Squirt down around each segment with an oil can

3. Grease the zerks on the front, bottom and top of master tube. But, what type of grease? What specification should I look for? How many pumps, or where should I look for the grease to exit?
i think 1 pump equals about 1 oz, calls for 6 oz. = about 6 pumps. all purpose lithium NLGI #2 I use marine grade its not water soluble and harder to wash out

POWERWINCH

1. The manual states to lubricate the cable with 30 weight motor oil. Is this the standard SAE motor oil? Where and how exactly do I lubricate the cable?
Use an oil can and pump it on the cable that is wound up on the reel with the top up. yes, SAE30 is fine
2. The manual states to lubricate the worm drive and gear using extreme-pressure lithium complex grease, NLGI #2. How do I do that? Just spread some into the drive and gears with my finger? Depending on the winch, you proabbly dont have a worm drive. that was an older model. a worm drive looks like a rotini pasta for lack of a better term. a screw. your powerwinch is probably the new model, without the worm drive just a gear on a motor, and loud as hell.

ELECTRIC JACK and COUPLER

1. The FR manual just states to keep threads and moving parts lubricated. With what and how? WD40, dry lube, etc

2. It also states to grease the release lever and coupler socket. Again, what material? I smear a little NGLI #2 in the coupler and put a baggie on the greased up ball on the hitch when i remove it

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:42 PM   #9

Is oiling the cable really all that necessary? Maybe just the cable that's wound up on the winch and the cable going from the winch back to the front of the lift tube opening... when the roof is closed. The rest of the cable gets a nice coat of grease as you crank the roof up and lower it, since it travels through the lift tube, which has grease in it from the zerks.

I think the bottom line is, as long are you are doing something, it's better than nothing. Grease the zerks, spray the external lift posts with some sort of dry lube, and drop some oil on the lift springs (may have to unscrew from the frame and drop them a few inches). I'm kind of on the fence about doing much to my winch. I have a manual one (ditched the annoying powerwinch) so there are less moving parts.
Freedom2318G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2318G View Post
Is oiling the cable really all that necessary? Maybe just the cable that's wound up on the winch and the cable going from the winch back to the front of the lift tube opening... when the roof is closed. The rest of the cable gets a nice coat of grease as you crank the roof up and lower it, since it travels through the lift tube, which has grease in it from the zerks.
Yes. The oil lubricates the cable strands and decreases friction as it winds, lowering the likelihood of the strands breaking from friction as it rolls. There may be grease on the exterior from the zerks but it doesnt fully lubricate the core of the cable.

Tags
cat, lift, maintenance