Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

Cloudy Water

We always boondock...using the holding tank and pump. No issues until last trip. Our water (from the same, reliable, tested source...home well) was a bit cloudy.

Is it possible that the pump is introducing air and that the cloudiness is bubbles? Our camper has seen 4 seasons of hard use primarily traveling long distances (10+ miles one way) on severely washboard gravel roads.
Everything shakes apart, so I'm constantly tightening, gluing, loctiting.
I've never accessed the pump, so it wouldn't be a surprise to learn that "something" loosened up and needs to be tightened.

Can an air leak at the pump make "cloudy" water?

P.S. Our home water is not cloudy.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #2

Interesting article. Is the hot water cloudy and did you replace your anode rod lately? Does a glass of water eventually clear up?

http://411plumb.com/why-is-my-hot-wa...milky-colored/
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Interesting article. Is the hot water cloudy and did you replace your anode rod lately? Does a glass of water eventually clear up?

Why Is My Hot Water Cloudy Or Milky Colored?
I'll read the article, but this was with cold water. We noticed it when filling the dogs' water bowls and making coffee. The cloudiness persisted in the dogs' water bowls.

Also, new anode at the beginning of the season. Now 12 camping weekends ago...so I'll check the anode to make sure it's not disintegrating.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #4

When was the last time you sanitized your FW tank and plumbing?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #5

If it's air bubbles in the water, they would dissipate within 30-60 seconds. Try draining some water from the bottom of the FW tank into a clean container, pour it into a glass and see how it looks. That will tell you if the problem is in the tank itself.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
When was the last time you sanitized your FW tank and plumbing?
Spring
Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
If it's air bubbles in the water, they would dissipate within 30-60 seconds. Try draining some water from the bottom of the FW tank into a clean container, pour it into a glass and see how it looks. That will tell you if the problem is in the tank itself.
Good suggestion. I always drain the tank upon returning home. I will partially fill it, let it sit for a few hours, then drain some water from the dump valve and see how it goes.

A thought...I use "Clorox Cleanup" cleaning spray on all hose fittings and the fill adapter prior to filling. I flush the hoses and fill adapter (a Camco hose end adapter) after letting the spray work for a bit.
I also use the cleaner around the fill neck on the side of the trailer. I spray the fill neck and air vent, then I wipe with a paper towel. This is a tiny amount of cleaner, but it's possible that a tiny bit went down the air vent and/or fill neck. Do you think it's possible that the "soaps" in that tiny amount of cleaner clouded the water?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #8

I wouln't think you have a leak. Leak on suction side of pump, might not prime. Leak on discharge side, you'd see a puddle. other suggestions seem valid to me. If you still have the water filter in, how are things looking there? I normally don't camp a great deal in July and August so I sanitize again before the fall season
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #9

Found another article. Since your water doesn't clear after sitting, it doesn't appear to be air bubbles. As for the cleaners you use: I have had several RV friends make themselves sick by overuse of cleaners and chlorine. Maybe the cleaner reacted with minerals in your well water. I would fill and rinse the fresh tank and lines several times and then check your water.

You can also get your water tested by several sources, just Google it for your area.

http://www.atsenvironmental.com/resi.../cloudy-water/
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I wouln't think you have a leak. Leak on suction side of pump, might not prime. Leak on discharge side, you'd see a puddle. other suggestions seem valid to me. If you still have the water filter in, how are things looking there? I normally don't camp a great deal in July and August so I sanitize again before the fall season
I didn't install the filter. Since I only use my own water...a known source...and since it is reliably clean (tested for home use), I'm confident in its quality. The "filter chamber" (clear plastic) is clean and clear.

Your suggestion brings up a possibility. The filter housing is crystal clear. It's upstream of the hot/cold split.

As with any "mixer valve" faucet, if you draw "hot" water for a while and then switch to cold, the cold must purge the leftover hot. Our HW has a tall faucet spigot...kind of a "pot filler."

I was not the one to fill the dog dishes. I do know that we don't "waste" water by running the cold until it's cold before using...and running the hot until it's hot before using. It's entirely possible that the dog water bowls were filled with tepid leftover hot water that had been standing in the kitchen sink faucet (after the valves and stacked in the high-rise faucet pipe). It's possible that the dishes were filled with "formerly hot" water that went through the hot water tank!

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned the hot water tank, and I have NOT flushed it or inspected the anode since de-winterizing and filling it last spring. We camped 12 times this summer...almost every weekend...so it seemed reasonable to think the water in the hot water tank could survive a week between uses. But, a 6 gallon tank must get stirred up a lot from water turbulence and from jostling on washboard dirt roads.

I'll pull the anode, and I'll back flush the hot water tank with fresh water and see what comes out. If there is a lot of residue (like the garbage that builds up in a home hot water heater), I'll have my answer and I'll report back.

Note: I won't get to this test/maintenance until this weekend, but I promise I will report on the findings when I get the chance to do the job. (Fresh-water fill is a bit of a process, because I must first sanitize my hose fittings, the exterior of the hose near the hose end - that I handle along with the fill adapter as I fill - and so on. This takes about 20 minutes on its own, in part because the chlorine in the cleaner needs 10 to 15 minutes to do its job, then I'd need to perform the test and flush.)
This sounds like a plausible answer...especially because the filter housing and the water in it is crystal clear.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #11

P.S. We give our dog fresh water about 8 to 10 times a day. We have indoor and outdoor kitchens. My wife would use the indoor sink...with the tall faucet, but I tend to use the outdoor sink. It has a faucet more suited for a bathroom sink...with virtually no rise and no "stacked" water downstream of the valves. I didn't notice cloudy water from that faucet, but it was my wife who observed cloudy water in the dog bowls and brought it to my attention.

This is starting to make sense. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks to all for the ideas and input!!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #12

Jim, I have to side with the pull the anode and flush the HW heater , sanitize and rinse well camp. FWIW, since that long anode is kind of a PIA to get in square, I've changed it out to the Camco petcock style with reducer bushing, added ball valves to LP drains and I drain the whole works out when we leave a site. some will call that overkill, eh, so. Since we drink the water to some extent, I've had no issues with taste, sediment, cloudiness, anode wear and I'm obviously still alive! BTW yes you'd do that with the outside kitchen and shower too
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #13

FYI. Postponed my RV maintenance in favor of staining our log cabin, but I will report what I find once I get back to it.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #14

OK, this took longer than expected, but I've been staining my cabin. See fun photo op below.

Meanwhile, I yanked the anode out of the hot water heater, and, you guessed it, the water was pretty cloudy. The first few "cups" of water looked like skim milk! The solids in the water had settled to the bottom, because the camper has been parked, and no fresh water has entered the hot water tank. The rest was nice an clear.

I brought the anode inside and cleaned it with CLR. It's in great shape...just a little erosion...but a whole season's worth. We went 12 times this year (so far), so it was almost every weekend.

Anyway, thanks to all for your wise counsel. I guess I'll drain and flush my hot water tank at least several times a season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Staining.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	152675  
Old 09-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #15

Thanks for the follow up! For flushing it out, I just wanted to make sure you are aware of this item. It's cheap and the tanks are hard to rinse in the lower area without one! Water Heater Tank Rinser - Camco 11691 - Water Heaters - Camping World
Old 09-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Thanks for the follow up! For flushing it out, I just wanted to make sure you are aware of this item. It's cheap and the tanks are hard to rinse in the lower area without one! Water Heater Tank Rinser - Camco 11691 - Water Heaters - Camping World
Thanks!!

Tags
water