Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #1

Connect PUP gray water outlet direct to 3” RV park waste?

Hey all, I have a 2021 LTD1640 PUP (the smallest you can get.) These don’t have built-in waste tanks, so we bring a small 15 gal gray water tank with us. Not a big deal, but it does need dumping about once every day. At times we camp multiple nights at RV parks with full hookups including sewer. I’m wondering…are there parts out there (or people with ingenuity) that directly connect the garden hose-like gray water outlet on my PUP to the sewer connection on the ground?

Is this even a good idea? It occurs to me that it may mean a direct connection of sewer gas into my camper. And even if not, perhaps backflow risks? Thoughts?
Nrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #2

This is the video I followed to turn my 1.5" outlet to a 3". I can now attach a 3" RV sewer hose and use the campground sewer. Take a look, it might for for you too.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ch-232535.html
Old 07-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #3

You can do something like this:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...in-232972.html

Using this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Myron625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #4

Any thoughts on the direct flow of sewer gas into the PuP? (I don’t know if those 3” ground connections have p-traps below ground, but I sure know my sink does not.) also concerns about backflow risk if there was a sewage backup?
Old 07-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

In mine, there is a trap at the bottom of the sink, which I think is standard. You can also leave a bit of a dip in your hose so some water always sits in it. That ensure that the vent hose doesn’t also vent sewer gas.
Myron625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #6

Start with some basics.

You must have a trap in the line from the sink to the sewer pipe to block sewer odors.

A trap means you need a vent "before" the trap so waste will flow reasonably well through the trap.

Since many (not all) RV Park sewer ports are elevated above the surrounding grade (to prevent surface runoff groundwater infiltration into the sewer), and since any 3" sewer cap and adapter to "garden hose" (or similar) will increase that height, you will also have a "secondary, unintentional" trap where water accumulates in the hose where the hose lays on the ground. This secondary trap may cause slow or blocked drain. In this situation, most stinky slinkies require a bridging device like this one from Camco. This keeps the hose high enough for gravity feed to the drain rather than "trapping" effluent in a saggin hose that's lower than the sewer input pipe.

Sometimes you get lucky and you're drain outlet will be just a few feet from the RV park sewer pipe, but often the run is 15 to 20 feet. Even your "garden hose" would benefit from resting on a sewer hose support.

There are some good adaptations for Pop-Up (PUP) drains that incorporporate a vent and a trap. See forum threads for designs. If your PUP does not have a trap, again you need one to keep the main sewer odor out of your camper. (PUPs dumping into a 'bucket' or jug don't have this problem, so many don't have traps.) If it does have a trap, the trap will function far better if it also incorporates an "instavent" vent like this one. Do NOT make the mistake of a simple, open vent like the one at your home (thru the roof), because sewer gasses will collect on the road side of your camper, and it will stink to high heavens. If you don't have a vent and trap on your PUP, you can incorporate both outside the rig.

This or something like this is all you need to connect your "garden hose" to the sewer line. There are several choices for this fitting.

Last thing: As soon as you hookup to the sewer, run some water down the drain to fill the trap. A "dry trap" does nothing to stop the smell from filling your rig.

That seems like a whole lot of trouble to avoid dumping a "bucket" now and then, but it can be done.

P.S. Perhaps part of the issue is the 15 gallon bucket or jug. 15 gallons of water weigh almost 125 pounds. Even 10 gallons of water come to 83 pounds. That's a hefty lug. A 5 to 7 gallon jug should be enough. Most big RVs are not generating 15 gallons of grey water per day (yes, some do, but most don't).

P.P.S Beating a dead horse. I have one of these for blackwater when I am boondocking where there are vault toilets. This 15 gallon container has wheels and it has all the fittings necessary to connect to a blackwater dump on an RV site. Just sayin'. Perhaps that's what you have already??
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #7

I used one like this with our PUP, among other things.......

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer-Ho.../CAM39111.html
Old 07-06-2021, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Start with some basics.

You must have a trap in the line from the sink to the sewer pipe to block sewer odors.

A trap means you need a vent "before" the trap so waste will flow reasonably well through the trap.

Since many (not all) RV Park sewer ports are elevated above the surrounding grade (to prevent surface runoff groundwater infiltration into the sewer), and since any 3" sewer cap and adapter to "garden hose" (or similar) will increase that height, you will also have a "secondary, unintentional" trap where water accumulates in the hose where the hose lays on the ground. This secondary trap may cause slow or blocked drain. In this situation, most stinky slinkies require a bridging device like this one from Camco. This keeps the hose high enough for gravity feed to the drain rather than "trapping" effluent in a saggin hose that's lower than the sewer input pipe.

Sometimes you get lucky and you're drain outlet will be just a few feet from the RV park sewer pipe, but often the run is 15 to 20 feet. Even your "garden hose" would benefit from resting on a sewer hose support.

There are some good adaptations for Pop-Up (PUP) drains that incorporporate a vent and a trap. See forum threads for designs. If your PUP does not have a trap, again you need one to keep the main sewer odor out of your camper. (PUPs dumping into a 'bucket' or jug don't have this problem, so many don't have traps.) If it does have a trap, the trap will function far better if it also incorporates an "instavent" vent like this one. Do NOT make the mistake of a simple, open vent like the one at your home (thru the roof), because sewer gasses will collect on the road side of your camper, and it will stink to high heavens. If you don't have a vent and trap on your PUP, you can incorporate both outside the rig.

This or something like this is all you need to connect your "garden hose" to the sewer line. There are several choices for this fitting.

Last thing: As soon as you hookup to the sewer, run some water down the drain to fill the trap. A "dry trap" does nothing to stop the smell from filling your rig.

That seems like a whole lot of trouble to avoid dumping a "bucket" now and then, but it can be done.

P.S. Perhaps part of the issue is the 15 gallon bucket or jug. 15 gallons of water weigh almost 125 pounds. Even 10 gallons of water come to 83 pounds. That's a hefty lug. A 5 to 7 gallon jug should be enough. Most big RVs are not generating 15 gallons of grey water per day (yes, some do, but most don't).

P.P.S Beating a dead horse. I have one of these for blackwater when I am boondocking where there are vault toilets. This 15 gallon container has wheels and it has all the fittings necessary to connect to a blackwater dump on an RV site. Just sayin'. Perhaps that's what you have already??

Yes, that portable Camco gray water tank is exactly what we own. All in all, what I’m gathering is that if we’re camped at a site with a dedicated sewer connection, just use my usual Camco gray water tank, and manually dump it daily (while we don’t use 15 gal/day, we use more than 7.5, thus once-a-day dumps are best for us.)
Old 07-13-2021, 10:13 PM   #9

I have a P-Trap at my sidewall from the sink hose and I use that very same Amazon hose adapter for sewer drains. Works fine.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
I have a P-Trap at my sidewall from the sink hose and I use that very same Amazon hose adapter for sewer drains. Works fine.

Thanks can you show me the p-trap product you bought? Or did you build it yourself out of threaded elbow fittings?
Old 07-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrollins View Post
Thanks can you show me the p-trap product you bought? Or did you build it yourself out of threaded elbow fittings?
I didnt buy one, its at the wall of my camper under the swing galley/sink. The flex hose attaches to the P trap and the bottom of the sink.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water