Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #1

Considering a "NEW" 2018 2716G

I have been looking for deals online and I found a still "new" 2018 2716 G about a 3 hour drive away near my hometown. Am I ignorant for considering a pop up that has been sitting on a dealer lot for 2 years? They are a large/reputable dealer. They are asking $12,500 for it without AC, the 2019 model is at least $2,000 more expensive.

What would you do? This would be my first pop up ever. I have been looking for over a year now. What questions would you ask on a model that has sat this long? My first thought is how has it affected the tires? Mildew? Is their asking price fair? I would want them to install AC too.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
Thank you for helping a newbie.
mopup27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #2

I would definitely want to look at it popped up, which I am sure you would do already. This would let you look (and smell) for any mildew or mold. I would step around on the floor to see if there are any soft spots. I would check the sealant on the seams of the roof just to make sure it was intact (this would happen with the roof down obviously). Tires should be okay for at least another year, but I would check them for cracking on the sidewall. Is this camper totally new and never used or has it been used some by the staff?

As far as negotiations, I am not sure what this is worth. When I negotiate, I always go low. I figure they can always say no. You can go up, but you can never go down when you are buying. I would at least try to get it with air installed for their asking price.

Just my thoughts.
smither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

I think my main concern would be if it's been left open as a 'display model' and that canvas has been exposed to the weather or if it's been folded and stuck in a corner. If it's been displayed, that canvas may have degraded.

Have you tried finding a dealer closer to you that might sell new 2020 units? Not suggesting you buy, but you could at least look at it and get a price on a newer model before you decide.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

A 2018 model could have been built in 2017. Its old. I would expect a substantial discount, if getting a unit for a low price is what you’re after. If you want a new unit that has not sat put in the weather, and that 100 people haven’t walked through, then spend the money and get a 2020 model, or wait for 2021s to show up soon. I’ve seen how badly trashed a camper can be after being at a dealer for even a few months.

Definitely do not buy the 2018 sight unseen.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #5

Water leaks are the enemy of pop-ups. Look for soft floors in the corners if it sat outside for 2 yrs.
Crawl underneath and look up at the bottom of the flooring for stains and rusty staples..
A mirror can help with the awkward inspection.
Thankfully the one year warranty clock starts when you purchase it.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #6

All very good advice.

I will confirm, but this particular one was built in 2018.

The salesman came back at $12,000 out the door with AC installed. It is listed at $12,500 (retail $18,151) on their website without AC.

2019 is the last year they made the 2716 G model, and they have one and are asking $14,400 (retail $18,151) without AC for that model.

I love a good deal and I like the idea of paying $2,400 less, getting free AC, for the trade off of it being one year older.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
RV There Yet?

12K out the door with AC installed is a pretty fair deal. it looks like the 2014-2015 models USED are 8-10K. make sure that everything checks out to your satisfaction. you could even ask that the tires be changed to something more current. for sure that unit was built in 2017 and the tires are just as old. most of us will swap out our tires in the 5 year range, if they make it that long.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:46 AM   #8

The NADA price using my zipcode is Low Retail $9750 and average retail $11,750 without AC. It shows an additional price for the AC at $590. If the $12K is truly out the door with tax, title and dealer fees, I would say it is not a bad deal.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #9

Pop-Up

The only way to know if is a good deal is to inspect it. I would only be interested at a larger discount. A three year old trailer has depreciated in value by at least 35-40%, they are discounting 10%. If you decide to trade up in 2 years, you will be trying to sell a 5 year old trailer.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
The only way to know if is a good deal is to inspect it. I would only be interested at a larger discount. A three year old trailer has depreciated in value by at least 35-40%, they are discounting 10%. If you decide to trade up in 2 years, you will be trying to sell a 5 year old trailer.
We arrived at $12,000 out the door, no other fees, with AC installed. The original list price on the Rockwood was $18,151, so that puts me at 33.89% discount off list and they will put the AC on the roof too, so that's another $850 I'm getting thrown in the deal. I also like that the factory warranty is the same as if I were buying a current model year. So it seems like a pretty decent deal.

I was trying to deal on a used 2018 Flagstaff 627D near me. They said the owner used it a few times and wanted to upgrade. It is the Flagstaff version of the Rockwood 2716G. The best he could do is $350 less than the new Rockwood and of course it isn't in factory warranty anymore.

He is going to go out and take more pictures for us. Of course he and the owner tell us we aren't going to find any damage and he knows everything we're going to scrutinize and that driving the 3 hours up there isn't going to make us feel obligated, it is right outside my hometown we'll be visiting.

He said they are displayed in the summer, closed up for the Iowa winters. Battery and LP tanks will be new, they don't put those on until they are sold. They will have it ready to go on our pickup date and go through the entire unit with us, if we find any damage or issue we can part ways and we aren't out any money.

What should I look for on the canvas to see if it is sun or water damaged? Do you guys have any tips for other things to look for during our inspection?

I'm getting kind of excited. We've been looking at PUPs and small TTs for over a year now.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
RV There Yet?

something to consider with this unit, or any unit with a slide out in a popup: without popping it up, you have zero access to the fridge. also, your center aisle is mostly blocked and unusable. you can get to the under seat storage from outside, but the doors are usually really small.
just things i wish i would have thought about when we had our popup with a slide.

you will want to look for stains on the inside of the canvas, look at all of the seams, especially the corners. sometimes the threads will pull out. check for mold and mildew on both the inside and out. (not a deal breaker, it can be cleaned). check the floor for soft spots. ask them to leave the camper down and closed before you get there so you can inspect the roof caulking and check the install of the AC. then you can watch how it is set up and how well the roof raises. that gives you a MUCH better idea of what kind of shape its really in. have them fill the fresh tank and run the pump to fill the hot water heater. make sure your water heater works. sometimes after sitting they have a hard time starting. your cassette toilet has a separate pump, make sure that works too. run the furnace, check all lights, check tire date code and check their pressure, if possible, get under and look at the bottom of the unit. have them set up the awning, that will probably have stains (again, can be cleaned). check under the bunk mattresses for water damage, check all screens for rips. check both side of seat cushions for rips or stains. watch the roof going up and down and how well the bunks slide in and out as well as your slide out.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #12

You all are so kind! Thank you for all of the fantastic advice!

This is really going to help us go over it with a fine tooth comb when we head up there next week!

So the salesman caught me off guard this morning...he asked me about getting at weight distribution hitch. I told him I didn't think I should need one. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 that can tow over 10,000lbs and the UVW on this unit according to the website is only 2,831lbs.

While looking at TTs I knew I would need a WDH because of the higher weight and higher profile, but I thought pop-ups with their low profile going down the road and low weight would not require one?
Old 05-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
RV There Yet?

that trailer has an unloaded hitch weight of close to 400lbs. loaded maybe 450ish? we didnt use or need one with our popup of similar size and weight. towed with a '98 expedition and '09 f150. they dont know what you are planning to tow with, so they suggest it. its a chance for them to make an add on sale. also watch out for the finance person and extra warranty stuff. use the search here to read a LOT about that.

*edit: if you look at the max cargo capacity and unloaded weight you are at 3370lbs. your tongue weight should be around 15% of your total weight to prevent sway. so at full capacity and properly loaded you have a hitch weight of around 500lbs.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #14

Traler

You will want a WDH, just do your homework and buy on your own. You can get it less expensively (E-trailer.com) and I have yet to have a dealer set it up correctly. I towed my 19' similar size pop-up w. a Tundra. You need one more for sway more than weight equalization w/ your combo. Single axel trailers are known to sway. There are many good ones out there, do not go w/ the friction bar. There are much better choices out there where you do not have to adjust to back up. I broke several in the 3 years we towed the pop-up.Fastway/ Equal-I-Zer both make good ones. Drive it home as is on the highway when you get passed by semis, and you will understand. It will improve the towing experiece.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopup27 View Post
You all are so kind! Thank you for all of the fantastic advice!

This is really going to help us go over it with a fine tooth comb when we head up there next week!

So the salesman caught me off guard this morning...he asked me about getting at weight distribution hitch. I told him I didn't think I should need one. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 that can tow over 10,000lbs and the UVW on this unit according to the website is only 2,831lbs.

While looking at TTs I knew I would need a WDH because of the higher weight and higher profile, but I thought pop-ups with their low profile going down the road and low weight would not require one?
Spend the money for a WDH on camping, you don't need it for your truck. I pulled the same camper with a '94 chevy 1500 and never had a problem...well except for the time the spare tire cable on the truck rusted and broke while going down the highway and the spare went under the camper...I have never seen a camper bounce like that...
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #16

If this is your first pop up, I recommend renting 3-4 times before buying one.

My wife and I got tired of the pop up after about 18 months and took the monster hit trading it in. The setup and tear down process was time consuming to make sure canvas didn’t get ripped, then if closed up while raining you have to open back up to dry it all out. And I second the comment about not getting to the fridge without opening part way up.

We rented twice before buying but didn’t have real world experience to guide us

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #17

I would disagree with Tundra above, but hey, we all have opinions. From my experience, in a pup similar (not exact, but similar) to what you're looking at, I in no way ever thought of getting a WDH hitch. Even when we pulled the pup with my wife's Traverse (5,000 lb towing capacity) we didn't need one. You can use some loading experience to help you load the PUP correctly, and get your hitch weight dialed in where it should be after some homework in the driveway.
You have a half ton truck, very capable of pulling that PUP with no problem at all. I'd hate for you to essentially waste what would be $300+ on something you couldn't notice when pulling with or without it, and spend it on more "fun" things for your camper or family.

If you were looking at a full sized RV, I'd agree with everyone else who says get a WDH hitch. I have one for my RV (near my trucks max capacity) and I wouldn't pull without one ever again on a rig like what I have.

Again, your result may vary, and if you find it would make you feel more comfortable and safe for your situation, and your family in the truck, then by all means, it's $300+ well spent.

Good luck with your impending purchase, and I hope you are able to get out there, and enjoy the new PUP as soon and often as possible.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #18
Site Team

I agree about not needing a WDH but an antisway bar would be a good idea. Single axle trailers can get squirrelly, especially on a tire blowout.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #19

It sounds like it could come down to preference. You all are giving me some great points to research. When I was looking closer at TTs I was narrowing down some newer WDHs that didn't have the cumbersome bars. I was happy that I wouldn't have to deal with one for a PUP.

The salesman told me he would have to double check their rules, but he may not be able to let me leave without one, and went on to say they could be held liable if it popped off the ball and I killed somebody. It really kind of ticked me off, I don't know if he was talking to me like I was a "silly woman" or what. My truck recommends them for towing >than 5,000lbs and of course this trailer doesn't come near that, though I see now I could still get some kind of WDH if I wanted one or sway control, alluding to the fact that I am careless if I don't buy one from him was weird. I figure he's trying to do a "hard sell".

So awhile after the salesman and I had this conversation and he had sent me the purchase contract I noticed that it was $200 over what we had agreed on. I know this is a topic for another thread, but long story short, over $200 he told me he would go ahead and tear up the purchase contract and to call him if I changed my mind and hung up. That is the really short version of it. So now I am back to square one... You all are really helping me learn about things to look for and more things to research so I appreciate that very much.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #20

First, let me say that I am very sorry that the dealer treated you this way. Changing the numbers without discussing it and then getting upset about trying to discuss it AFTER changing the numbers is just not ethical in my mind.

I don't remember you ever saying you are a female, but that makes absolutely zero difference in any of this.

Also, a WDH or a sway control really doesn't affect if it will "pop off the ball". The coupler on all 3 of my trailers is the same, but only one has WD on it. As long as the coupler is locked on the ball, and a pin or lock is put through the hole, it should not pop off.

Again, sorry about this situation. I hope you can continue to look for the camper that best suits your needs. I think in this thread you have been given some EXCELLENT advice. You now have more information than you had before to continue your search.
smither is offline   Reply With Quote