Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #1

Converter question

Currently camping. Serviced site with electric hook up. When I turn on my awning LED lights the converter cooling fan cuts in periodically. I'm assuming the awning LED lights are DC powered since they work when not on shore power. The converter cooling fan doesn't come on when using any other DC powered lights or furnace etc. Im just wondering why it cuts in.
HappyCamperCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:55 PM   #2

the converter fan comes on based on load. This load could be anything from additional lights coming on, battery charge state to that time your converter goes into desulfate mode. I had a WFCO stand alone charger going bad, the final indication was the lights would go from bright to dim to bright every couple minutes and the fan ran all the time. replaced it with a Boondocker convertor.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperCanada View Post
Currently camping. Serviced site with electric hook up. When I turn on my awning LED lights the converter cooling fan cuts in periodically. I'm assuming the awning LED lights are DC powered since they work when not on shore power. The converter cooling fan doesn't come on when using any other DC powered lights or furnace etc. Im just wondering why it cuts in.
Turn everything off, then only the awning LEDs, the fan will likely not turn on now. The fan shouldn't come on until you start turning on other stuff now.
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
Turn everything off, then only the awning LEDs, the fan will likely not turn on now. The fan shouldn't come on until you start turning on other stuff now.
Awning lights are the only thing on. As soon as I turn off the awning lights the fan shuts off.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #5

its possable the awning lights are drawing a lot of power. you could find the fuse, pull it and use an amp meter to show you the current the awning lights are using.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Awning lights are the only thing on. As soon as I turn off the awning lights the fan shuts off.
That is what, a 12 foot string of LED's that are fairly bright.... they will draw some power. As stated, at a certain threshold your fan will come on. My fan comes on for a bit sometimes when I just connect the battery and the camper is closed so.....
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Switching on the awning lights may just be a tipping point, causing the converter temp to rise high enough to turn on the fan if it's been charging batteries.

If you don't have a current measuring battery monitor you really don't know how much "work" the converter has been doing while maintaining the battery bank.

Other possibllity is heat. Where is the converter mounted and is it possible it's getting warmed by stove, heat duct, hot weather, etc? I've read that some converter fans turn on at temps around 100 degrees when any load is placed on them.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Other possibllity is heat. Where is the converter mounted and is it possible it's getting warmed by stove, heat duct, hot weather, etc? I've read that some converter fans turn on at temps around 100 degrees when any load is placed on them.
Converter is at the front and the furnace is at the back. Nothing near the converter to produce heat. I figure it must just be that a strip of LED awning lights is converting enough DC power and producing enough heat to make the fan cut in.
2019 Ram 1500 Classic SLT 4x4 5.7L Hemi V8 crew cab
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
Old 10-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
Retired Old Fart

How old is the converter? It could be starting to fail and may need replacement soon. WFCO's are not known to be the most robust units in the first place.

Normally the fan only comes on under a heavy amp draw condition. The other thing you might want to do is check your battery. The battery is also connected to the converter and if it's on it's way out could be drawing a good bit of power to recharge (as it's not holding a charge). If its a wet cell, check water level and if low let it charge a while and then check.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
How old is the converter? It could be starting to fail and may need replacement soon. WFCO's are not known to be the most robust units in the first place.

Normally the fan only comes on under a heavy amp draw condition. The other thing you might want to do is check your battery. The battery is also connected to the converter and if it's on it's way out could be drawing a good bit of power to recharge (as it's not holding a charge). If its a wet cell, check water level and if low let it charge a while and then check.
It's a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2514g. Brand new in July. 2 group 24 batteries wired in parallel
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
Old 10-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #11

Just throwing something out there.... maybe the way the circuitry is or the way they are wired makes the control board in the converter think there is a high demand.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Just throwing something out there.... maybe the way the circuitry is or the way they are wired makes the control board in the converter think there is a high demand.
Quite possible. I'm not an electrician and would have no idea how to check that out. I guess as long as everything is working, it's all good
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦

Tags
converter