RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Well, this was an ugly eye-opener!
Our roof is not failing yet, and silly me, I thought it was aluminum. We added a thicker mattress, and I often have to sit on the edge of the roof to compress the mattress and blankets enough to close the camper for travel.

I learned a lot from this thread, and I plan to keep a close eye on my roof. I'm not sure what to do about closing it without sitting on the roof.

Someone mentioned a cover contributing to problems. We have no garage, so I've been using an "Elements" brand RV cover. It seems to be breathable fabric. Here in CO, the sun is brutal, so keeping the camper (and tires) covered is essential. The Elements cover has at least 4 shrouded ventilation ports at the roof line. Any thoughts on whether this is a net positive or negative for long-term durability?
Rather that allow the cover to lay on the roof when it's on, I would suggest standing the cover off the roof with some 2 x 4's or 2x 6's laid crossways on the roof every couple feet. That allows the 'breatheable cover to breathe
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #22

X 10 letting the factory do the repair. I cant see a complete roof section making it to a dealer in one piece. And do they have people trained to do that extensive of a repair. ?
Old 05-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Why not re-roof it with a single sheet of 16 or 18 gauge aluminum and be done with it?... if out of warranty...
Many people have discussed just that in some of the popup forums over the years. The problem always was sourcing out a sheet large enough that did not cost a small fortune to buy and ship. You would need an 8'x14'+ sheet for a 12' box like the OP's.

For a few years Coleman/Fleetwood popups had one piece aluminum roofs after their ABS roof debacle. Lots of other brands used aluminum in the past but were 2 piece with a mill seam down the center. Everyone then went to Filon most likely because it's cheaper.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
X 10 letting the factory do the repair. I cant see a complete roof section making it to a dealer in one piece. And do they have people trained to do that extensive of a repair. ?
They do get to the dealer in one piece in a huge crate, and it's not that extensive of a repair. Two people can change one in less than two hours. It takes longer to take the canvas and valance curtains loose and reattach afterwards than the actual roof swap.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #25

Is this an ongoing issue for new Rockwoods? Thinking of purchasing a new 1970/1640 ESP.
410Trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #26

Update:

Forrest River sent the new roof (without any shipping damage) to a reputable authorized dealer not to far from where I lived in lieu of traveling 4 hours to the dealer I purchased it from (Lazy Days). They had the job done in 5 days, and to my surprise they did an excellent job re-installing the a/c, vent, awning and even replaced some additional electrical components.

Very happy so far, if it happens again Im doing Line-X or Rhino Lining.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, roo, roof