Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

defective couch cushion

We purchased a new 2013 HW296 less than two years ago. It has the front couch that makes into a bed. Me and my wife have only used our camper maybe 4 times total. We noticed that the Back cushion has a defective spot in the material. The thread is coming loose,right where your back would rest. I contacted TerryTown in Grand Rapids Michigan to tell them about it. They told me it was out of warranty, but they would contact the factory to see if they would fix,or replace the cushion as a goodwill jesture. I sent the dealer three photos showing the cushion problem. I got an email back from the dealer today telling me that the factory, and Flair the people that made the cushion material,denied my claim,no reason given other than it is out of warranty.I can't believe that they would not make an exception seeing how little use the camper has had. I am only writing this to let other perspective Flagstaff buyers no that Forest River is not at all willing to give you the customer service in order to keep you coming back. Me and my wife are thinking about replaceing the HW296 with a new Travel Trailer soon. I will not be considering any of the forest river brand. Nor will I deal with TerryTown RV. I ask the dealership if they would supply me the cushion, and I would install it my self. I guess the factory, and the dealer don't care if you buy from them again. Maybe forest River will end up going the way of Hi-Lo and Coachman,and others because there is not service after the sale
pmorris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Can you post a picture of the back so we can get an idea of the problem.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

How to post

I have never posted a photo before. How do I do that
Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Go to the search section and search on posting photo and you will find instructions. Bottomline, you have to go to advanced when posting reply, then attach photo.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #5

Forest River owns Coachman....

More seriously though, a warranty is a warranty. Not standing up for FR and have no idea who the dealer is, but they do put a time limit on a warranty for a reason.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #6

cushion photo

I realize that there is a warranty. But a cushion only used 4 times camping. especially a back cushion should hold up better. Some time the factory should do right by the customer. It's called customer service. I certainly didn't buy a cheap camper. If there product isn't any better than that why would anyone want to buy there product. I am just sharing my opinion with you.Some folks will just say ok,thats the way it is. Not me. The right thing for forest river to do would be to replace it,as a sign of customer service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	55609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	55610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	55611  
Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Go to Goshen Rally! I had a small tear on a seam on one of my couch cushions, and Forest River replaced both cushions free of charge. I'm not doubting you, but I would just about bet that every person looking for a warranty claim after their warranty was up, has used the phrase, "We only used it a couple times".
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
NELA

That's a broken thread/chord in the weave. On the right side (pic 1) it appears something was "jabbed" into the fabric, where the round hole shows the stuffing, causing the unraveling.

Did you ever store anything on that sofa while in transit? Has anything ever tipped over/been dropped on to that sofa?

How long ago did you notice this?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #9

I feel your pain and if I owned either the manufacturing company or the RV dealership, I would replace the cushion as a good faith action.
That said, I'm afraid I also understand their position. It gets down to where/when do they draw the line? Should they feel obligated to replace the cushion after 5 years if the RV has been used only 6 times? 4 year old RV used 3 times?
Like I said, I'd replace it for you, they decided not to. They must have hundreds of "gray warranty" requests every year and bending the "warranty time rules" can cost them 100's of thousands of $$$$$! It's a business and tough decisions must be made every day, sometimes we, the customer, come out on the short end of the stick. And we, the customer, have the liberty to take our business elsewhere when we make the next purchase. Best of luck, sorry for your bad experience.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #10

What is the time after the warranty runs out that goodwill stops? One, two, three, four, etc., years? Just playing devil's advocate.

However, I agree it is probably defective. The cushion on my trailer has been sat on hundreds of times by me and probably three times that by a 100+ pound dog with some large claws. And so far only a few small snags.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Go to Goshen Rally! I had a small tear on a seam on one of my couch cushions, and Forest River replaced both cushions free of charge. I'm not doubting you, but I would just about bet that every person looking for a warranty claim after their warranty was up, has used the phrase, "We only used it a couple times".
Gotta concur, and in pic #3, the loose, long, dark threads appear tangled and worn, as if someone has leaned back against that more than a few times.

That's why I asked when this was initially noticed.

If you're willing to pay for it yourself, skip the dealer and contact the factory correct. There's a PDF file here that lists the factory contact numbers for each of the different FR brands. Search for "factory contact information". I think ependydad created that thread, so maybe he'll chime in.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
jam0911

Byuhyzu
jam0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
What is the time after the warranty runs out that goodwill stops? One, two, three, four, etc., years? Just playing devil's advocate.

However, I agree it is probably defective. The cushion on my trailer has been sat on hundreds of times by me and probably three times that by a 100+ pound dog with some large claws. And so far only a few small snags.
That was going to be my next question. Does the OP have a dog or cat?
That "jab" point I mentioned could VERY well be a cat claw or dog claw snag.

Additionally, this could be weather related; deterioration of the fabric's integrity due to heat or sun exposure.

Unless they wanted both arms and 3/4th of one of my legs, I'd pay it myself, OR find a reputable upholstery shop and have the entire sofa recovered.

Did you purchase the 2nd year FR warranty?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #14

It's your opinion

My wife an I are 68 years old. I retired from Gm with over 40 years service. I use up the time on my warranty before the bumper to bumper 36months or 36 thousand miles. I have a 2008 silverado with 18000 miles on it. GM just replaced my factory break control because even because it was out of time. The mileage is low. They didn't have to do that, but they want me to keep buying GM. That's what you call customer service. You have to take it on a case by case. Replacing the cushion would be a drop in the bucket for forest river. Wouldn't they rather have me posting on here for all to read how much we love our camper. And how great forest river is? In stead of speaking negative of them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease they say
Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #15

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease they say"----apparently not always the case!!!!! Sounds to me like you're getting all twisted up here for something that's just not going to happen. Why put yourself thru this level of frustration, as they say---- JUST LET IT GO! It's time to realize, it is what it is!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #16

rschlder your right I didn't start out to make a big deal out of it. I just wanted to post my opinion about the defective cushion. And the lack of customer support. But right away people start posting unfair comments. Like ya right they all say they only used it four times. Or it looks like a dog or a cat did the damage. Or the weather might have caused it. How unfair of these people. Everything I said was correct. Instead of some support, they insinuate I am not being truthful.i purchased my camper the end of August 2012 it is a 2014. We used it 2 times before storing it for the season. By the time we used it again 10 months of our year warranty was gone. We used it only 2 more times last year. We live in michigan where we have short camping seasons. It is always stored inside even during the summer. We have no animals, or cats . These campers list for over 20.000 msrp. It's not unreasonable to expect the camper to be of high quality. The day we took delivery the fridge had to be replaced. A clamp holding the sewer pipe was never installed. The door support that holds the door at the wall in the travel mode had broke off the wall. The roof vent was leaking water. It had no gasket, or sealer when they removed it. So this cushion is not just the reason for my displeasure with forest river quality. For all of you that love your rv's consider your self lucky, or this might be you complaining here. But I won't be posting jabs at you. Don't worry folks, I will never bother you all again with my comments
Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #17
NELA

Or it looks like a dog or a cat did the damage. Or the weather might have caused it. How unfair of these people

No, I posed possible reasons/scenarios. I did NOT accuse you of being dishonest. Someone times another person's suggestions can cause an "aha moment" for a person who gets tunnel vision when there's a problem.

....I'm out...

Old 06-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

Geez. Normally I try to steer clear of these threads, BUT, when you have some real problems, then come back and post. You're telling this to people that's had whole roofs, side walls, floors and everything else replaced. This MUST be your first RV.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #19

Yeah, There's not enough space here to give the history of our 2005 Allegro Bus that cost 2 times what we paid for our house. We didn't drive out of the drive without planning on a $500-$1,000 repair bill either along the way or when we got home! And that's only the last of our 3 diesel pushers that began "raping" our checkbook in 1993.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #20

How is it a 2014 if you bought it at the end of August 2012?..........Wouldn't that make it a 2013 model year?
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote