Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

Dim lights, need ideas/help

Ok, finally made it out for a full run vacation at the beach, wife is enjoying it as am I. So i have been out for a couple short runs that last 1 to 2 nights and never had any issues, used those times to set the camper up prep for this run. Anyhow now that I am 4 days in I am having a strange issue and hope to get some insight.

I have a rockwood freedom , shower toilet combo and it has led inside lights. 2 nights ago I left the outside yellow light on and when i got up in the morning the inside lights were very dim, almost to the point they were of no use, i realized the outside light was on and when I turned it off the inside got a little brighter but not much, to add to the problem my toilet pump barely pumps water now.. it is plugged into the camp ground power so not sure why it all went dim. This morning it seems a little better but it just doesn't seem right. Is this normal or do I have an issue and if so any ideas how to start the trouble shooting ?

Thanks in advance
TimothyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

Hi, check to see if you have 14+ volts at your battery terminals, are the terminals clean?
Check that all grounds are clean and tight. Battery could be going bad. Sounds like it may not be charging. Good luck.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

So the lights run off the battery and not the campground hook up?
Old 09-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #4

lights run off the 12V system, so yes they are running off your battery. When on shore power, the converter is suppose to keep your batter(s) charged. A bad battery will cause the issue you describe.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #5

Good info... thank you both for your quick response.

I went to the local Home Depot and bought a volt meter (to keep in the camper) and the battery is reading 15 or so volts so that's good to know that at least the converter is working. Looks like I will need to invest in a new battery next year just to be safe.

Thanks again for info.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #6

Do you have a master battery disconnect switch ?
Could be in the off position. Make sure that it is turned on.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
Site Team

If you read over 14 volts at the battery then your converter is charging the battery and should be plenty to supply power to the RV, especially lights and water pump, even if the battery wasn't connected.

You could have a bad battery that's drawing enough power from the converter/charger that it can't charge at that rate and still run the other 12 volt stuff.

Try disconnecting the battery and see if the lights brighten back up and the water pump will run correctly.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #8

Umm I thought when connected to shore power that the converter powers the 12 volt stuff (I.e. the lights and water pump) - it does not go through the battery. It will also charge the battery if needed. (At least that is what the "12 volt side of life" states and has been my experience). I would be looking at the converter.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Team

You're supposed to test the battery without shore power also.
You may have a bad cell in the battery. How old is it?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you read over 14 volts at the battery then your converter is charging the battery and should be plenty to supply power to the RV, especially lights and water pump, even if the battery wasn't connected.

You could have a bad battery that's drawing enough power from the converter/charger that it can't charge at that rate and still run the other 12 volt stuff.

Try disconnecting the battery and see if the lights brighten back up and the water pump will run correctly.

Of all the things you can do, this is about the easiest and will tell you right away if you are having battery problems. If the lights get brighter, take the battery to Auto Zone or similar and have it load tested.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #11

Check the outside porch light for bulb type. Even with an all LED camper you may find the porch still has the incandescent bulb. That can run down batteries quicker.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light