Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #1

Dometic Cabana Awning

I just bought a Dometic Cabana Awning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dome...oVqZfXDrAOM%3A

I found it on line for $425. Rather than purchasing the screen kit for my "inexpensive" (aka cheap!) trim line awning, I thought this was a better investment since I wont have to deal with wind issues. I understand keeping the trimline anchored down without worry is nearly impossible. I have only used my brand new pup one time, and at 3 am I was outside in the pouring rain and wind in my underwear taking the awning down. I have also seen a lot of stories about roof damage and wind events, so I went for this concept instead.

Anyone else done the same, and if so can you offer any tips? It was kind of an impulse buy because the concept looked great. Finally, I can't wait to spring my new PUP out of jail *my garage* and get her ready for the season.
trincinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #2

Sorry I don't have any tips to offer. Please post your experience with this item tho. I have looked online at these before but the price has always kept me away. I hope to spend 30 nights in mine this year I think I could justify the expense of this is a decent product. Thanks.
ffp322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

This does look interesting, but on the HW277 there's an outside kitchen and grill. I assume you'd be cooking indoors then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

So, a quick update. I used my Cabana awing for the first time. I purchased this so I did not have to deal with a cheap awning in windy conditions while camping. Here is my review, Amazon style...

I give it 3 out of 5 stars. (this is being generous)
Negatives:
The instructions were HORRIBLE. examples include:
- I still dont know how to deal with the velcro post covers and tying them into the Cabana awning. zero guidance on how this worked.
- There were additional straps that snapped into buckles on the front of the awning. They did not show the angle or suggest how to attach them, other than saying to stake them in during high wind conditions. Well, I had them in the wrong direction according to the Customer Service rep. They should be extended out from the awning, not tied down to the stakes that hold the floor down. What was I thinking! Shoulda known that one <insert sarcasm here> because the wind took out the awning and busted a pole plus tore the tent material. replacement pole cost: $90. Tent - in search of tent glue now!
- The front arch is created by modern flexible tent poles,(elastic cord attached to hollow fiberglass tubes which extend to designed length) but the tubes are made of aluminum and not fiberglass. The aluminum tubing s now bent in the shape of the arch.
- Dometic suggested this tent is not wind safe, and should be brought in under high winds. (not in the instructions) This would be VERY difficult, more so than the Trimline.
- The screen surround that is applied to the bottom of the trailer required hours of work to make it right. Let's just say I bought a sewing machine and high-strength magnets to re-engineer this solution. Doing so was much better than the original design. Again, very little guidance from the instructions.
- If the instructions were complete, I would not have had half the issues I had with this thing.

Plusses:
- It does add a relatively bug-proof room extension to your popup.
- high quality zippers and materials
- flexible configurations. sides totally open, sides screened in, front open/screend in/removed altogether.

If I had to do this again, I would do it if I needed extra space. Since I really dont, I would just stick with the trimline and bring it in when weather became disagreeable. Feel free to ask me any questions on this one.
trincinf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic