Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2022, 07:24 PM   #1

Dometic Fridge RM2354

Our fridge is not working. Not working on gas or battery. We’ve checked fuses and changed the 30 amp fuse. Even the check light doesn’t come on. All other lights and power are working. We’ve tried locating the reset button in the panel but can’t seem to find it. Any suggestions?
Tammy Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:37 PM   #2

This is a 3 way refrigerator, right? Can you give us the year, and model of your rig?
Old 05-20-2022, 07:39 PM   #3

Yes it is a three way. 2019 forest river rockwood hard wall pop up tent trailer
Old 05-20-2022, 07:43 PM   #4

You need an administrator to move your post to the pop up tent section where someone is likely to have your rig and know where the reset buttons are.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:43 PM   #5

No gas issues. Stove lights and only the fridge is not working. Not on gas, battery or electric and the pilot isn’t lighting. Won’t even click.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Briggs View Post
Yes it is a three way. 2019 forest river rockwood hard wall pop up tent trailer
Moved thread from the Welcome Mat section to the Tent Camper and Popup section since the fridge is generally only found in popups.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:01 PM   #7

Hope you find a solution soon.

Forgot to welcome you to the forum!
Old 05-21-2022, 06:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Briggs View Post
Our fridge is not working. Not working on gas or battery. We’ve checked fuses and changed the 30 amp fuse. Even the check light doesn’t come on. All other lights and power are working. We’ve tried locating the reset button in the panel but can’t seem to find it. Any suggestions?
The fridge has 3 modes, AC (default when AC power is present), gas, and DC. On the front panel, there is an on/off button on the left. There are mode buttons, and an "auto" button. When in auto, the fridge uses AC if AC power is available. If no AC, fridge tries to light LP burner (you can hear the clicking of the igniter) and run on LP. If in auto, and no AC present, and won't light LP, the fridge gives up. Cycle the power on and off to reset.

We run fridge in "auto" all the time, which means propane must be turned on when towing or camping. If AC is available, fridge runs on that. If not, stays on propane. Our fridge is slightly more powerful on AC than on propane. I never use DC mode.

The only way to know fridge is running is to hear the igniter clicking when on LP. After 20 minutes in any working mode, the chimney (access through upper outside vent) will get warm/hot to touch.

The Dometic RM2354 manual (.pdf) is available on the Dometic web site. Worth reading. If you look at the installation instructions, you will find Forest River never gave the fridge a chance to work properly with their poor installation. On my 2354, I started by getting a wireless thermometer ($10 at Walmart) so I could tell what temp I actually had inside the fridge. I then stuffed the air gaps around the sides and top of the fridge with fiberglass insulation and sealed the stuffed gaps with pieces of Reflectix and furnace duct tape. I installed a 45 copper elbow on the chimney stack to point the LP exhaust to the exhaust vent. I then domed off the top of fridge compartment with Reflectix running from behind cooling fins across to top of the exhaust vent. You want to seal off the upper space behind the fridge that just serves to trap hot air. You want air flow from lower vent through the cooling fins and out the upper vent, including the hot air from the chimney. Then I adjusted the baffle to meet Dometic specs, which forces cooling air through the fins. Finally, I added 2 12V 120mm 1200 RPM computer case fans mounted directly on the exhaust grill (mine are 70ma and $12 each) to blow air out. Inside the fridge I use a Camco fan powered by 2 D cells ($20 for a $1 item) to circulate air.

With the changes, I get fridge temps to 32 deg on the "5" setting in a day, back it off to "4" or "3" to avoid freezing in the fridge section on more than a one day trip. If outside temps are below 60s, I turn the exhaust fans off. It takes about 12 hours to pull down from 80 to below 40 inside when I start the fridge up. The inside fan keeps temps pretty consistent on all shelves.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame with 2354 fridge
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #9

With a bolt meter, check that you have 120v at the outlet the fridge is plugged into and check that you have 12v+ at the terminal block the fridge is also plugged into.

Glancing over the manual, I think there is a 5a fuse in the control module accessible from the back.

Good luck.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge