RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #1

Dometic RM2193 Fridge stopped working

Hi Guys,

I bought a new 2017 Rockwood pop up tent last year and I have been very happy so far.

However, I am ready to go for the weekend and today pluged in the pop up on 120V to make sure everything was working and unfortunately the fridge will no start.

I made sure gas was turned off, 12V was turned off and 120V is turned on. I tried the knob from 0 to 7 and my fridge will not start There is a 120V electrical box where the fridge is plugged in and I made sure this is working. I can plug something in there and the electrical box is in fact working properly.

How can I troubleshoot further ? Is there a fuse just for the fridge ?

I assume propane would still work ?

Thanks !
SpykeYs
SpykeYs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #2

You have to have 12V for the fridge to work either on gas or elect shore power.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

Bear in mind that the fridge does not have a compressor like a residential unit... So when it is "on", it doesn't make any noise. If it is working, you'll be able to feel some heat coming out of the upper vent.
jr1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #4

When running on 120V, a resistance coil (100+ watts) heats an ammonia solution in the "chimney". It takes about up to 30 minutes for the chimney to get warm/hot to the touch. Once the fridge gets going, heat should be coming out the upper vent.

The vent design on Dometic installations by Forest River is atrocious, and struggles to exhaust the hot air with just convection current. It is this air flow over the cooling coils - mounted to the back of the fridge in the outside compartment - that extracts the heat out of the fridge. Anything you can do to increase this airflow across the coils and out the top vent will improve your fridge's performance.

I first installed Relectix to form a duct through the outside fridge compartment. This helped, but wasn't enough in all situations. I later added a 12V computer case fan tie-wrapped to the top fridge compartment grill to blow the air out. Between the fan and the Reflectix, the fridge cooled great under all conditions, and would pull down from room temp to below 40 in less than 8 hours.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame (will do the same when I get my new Flagstaff T21TBHW)
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #5

If you have pics of the fan installation, they would be appreciated. Thanks.
deano55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #6

I would also like to see the fan modification pic if possible, thatís a pretty tight space.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #7

In the A-frame section, there are some pictures by others in an old thread called I'm liking my A-frame fridge. I bought a 120mm computer case fan from Best Buy ($10). I used a tie wrap in each corner of the fan to tie it to the top fridge compartment grill. I put the fan on the bottom middle of the grill to provide less resistance to air flow when the fan was off. The fan was faced to blow the air out. It really is nothing complicated.

I put a switch for the fan inside next to the water heater switch. I used a switch with an LED light in so I could easily see when the fridge fan was on. I had to add a 100K resistor in series with the LED negative lead to dim the LED to a reasonable level - that thing was bright.

I found having the switch inside the A-frame was not necessarily the most convenient. But once I had a feel for how the fridge temps were running, the fan was never turned on or off during a given trip. If outside temps were 80+ during the day, the fan stayed on. If the outside temp during the day was below 70, the fan was generally unneeded.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 07-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

Surely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
I put a switch for the fan inside next to the water heater switch. I used a switch with an LED light in so I could easily see when the fridge fan was on. I had to add a 100K resistor in series with the LED negative lead to dim the LED to a reasonable level - that thing was bright.
Surely you meant 100 ohms.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #9

No, 100K resistor is correct. When the LED is only drawing a few milliamps, a 100 ohm resistor does nothing to dim it. From my work with LEDs for model trains, I knew that 1K is the starting point for resistors for LEDs in 12V circuits. I started with 1K and worked my way up, trying to get that LED switch light not to be a night light for the whole A-frame. I was surprised when 47K didn't make much difference in LED brightness. The 100K made the brightness tolerable, but I wanted dimmer. Not having any higher value resistors on hand, and only the one 100K, I used it. I can still see the LED in pretty bright light, and it's really too bright at night. But because the switch is on the dinette seat front, I needed the LED to tell the setting of the fridge fan switch from the doorway.

When I installed the other LED-lit switches for the stereo and voltmeter readout, I did not connect the LED to avoid the issue. The voltmeter readout is way too bright, so I'm glad I installed a switch to turn it off and on.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 07-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #10

Have not even had our 2018 206LTD out for a trip yet. Do not ever anticipate dry camping in it. Have tried and tried to get the 3-way fridge to cool to a decent level. Went to Wally World and found a 120 volt unit that is nearly the same dimensions. Out with the 3-way. Now stuff stays cool.

And I found a use for the LP connection from the 3-way. Permanently mounted the stove in the fold over cabinet. If I want to cook outside I have my SideKick grill to cook on.
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #11

Thats part of the fun of having a rig you can modify it to suit your style. You may be able to rig a small inverter to keep the frig running between campgrounds. Good use of the propane connection.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #12

Inverter

That is my though process too. Gonna check out what I can get.
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Frogfarmer View Post
Have not even had our 2018 206LTD out for a trip yet. Do not ever anticipate dry camping in it. Have tried and tried to get the 3-way fridge to cool to a decent level. Went to Wally World and found a 120 volt unit that is nearly the same dimensions. Out with the 3-way. Now stuff stays cool.

And I found a use for the LP connection from the 3-way. Permanently mounted the stove in the fold over cabinet. If I want to cook outside I have my SideKick grill to cook on.
Iowa Frogfarmer: Can you post a few pics of your install? And maybe a link to which model fridge you got from Wally World? I'm considering doing the same thing; we're likely never going to boondock and most of our trips will be just a couple nights so I'm thinking a residential fridge will work out better for us.
Thanks!
Josh

Edit: Just saw your other thread on the weekend project mounting the stove... Looking forward to seeing the fridge install over there!
jr1221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge