Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #1

Door Fitment Issues, Palomino 4125

Hello! I have a 2007 Palomino Yearling 4125 and I am having issues getting the door frame to fit correctly. The trailer is good and level, it seems like the roof is swayed more towards the door side, if i push it over by hand it fits great but as soon as I let go it just falls back towards the door side and I have a very large gap.

Has anyone run into this issue, I found an older thread on here but the issue didn't seem to get resolved or the resolution wasn't posted. Is there an adjustment on the cables for this?

Any other info or tricks on this trailer would be appreciated.

Thanks !
tanneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #2

We get this on our flagstaff 625D. It happens for us when we have the awning out but without setting up the ground support poles and have it only using the poles connected to the lower ball joint while the rest of the awning pulls against the roof. Not sure I’m doing a good job explaining this. Essentially for us it goes away and the door fits if we fully setup the awning with the side support poles connecting into the ball joints on the roof line and the vertical poles in place holding it up. If the side support poles are in the lower position and are also holding the awning up and outwards while the vertical poles are not in use and tucked away, it creates a lever effect against the roof where the awning pulls the roof to the door side and the door will no longer fit or align with the roof (cause it’s pulled outwards 4-5 inches). This doesn’t happen when the awning is fully setup (using all poles in their proper position) or when it’s still in the bag.

Anyways, hopefully it’s something simple like that.
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeName View Post
We get this on our flagstaff 625D. It happens for us when we have the awning out but without setting up the ground support poles and have it only using the poles connected to the lower ball joint while the rest of the awning pulls against the roof. Not sure I’m doing a good job explaining this. Essentially for us it goes away and the door fits if we fully setup the awning with the side support poles connecting into the ball joints on the roof line and the vertical poles in place holding it up. If the side support poles are in the lower position and are also holding the awning up and outwards while the vertical poles are not in use and tucked away, it creates a lever effect against the roof where the awning pulls the roof to the door side and the door will no longer fit or align with the roof (cause it’s pulled outwards 4-5 inches). This doesn’t happen when the awning is fully setup (using all poles in their proper position) or when it’s still in the bag.

Anyways, hopefully it’s something simple like that.
I’ll give that a try this evening, I didn’t actually try setting the awning up yet. It would make a difference, it doesn’t take hardly any weight to push it over to have it lined up good!

I’ll let you know how I get along, thanks!
Old 09-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #4

So the awning is missing one of the poles altogether, I'm gonna pull it off and see what I can gear up to make work with that. I don't think the awning's weight is causing the issue.

Is there any adjustment within the lift cable? or it is what it is? I think I can make it work with some better clips than the plastic ones. I'm a heavy truck mechanic and have no problem making this work. I just don't want to go and modify everything only to find out it was a simple fix.

Tent trailers are all new to me, I'm coming from a bunch of tents and a Tepui RTT.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #5

The only two times I have experienced the issue you described are when the trailer roof is raised but the trailer is not level or when the awning is pulled up and tugging the roof over like a cantilever. If you’re sure the trailer is level and you weren’t using the awning then I’m out of ideas. Perhaps someone else has some.
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeName View Post
The only two times I have experienced the issue you described are when the trailer roof is raised but the trailer is not level or when the awning is pulled up and tugging the roof over like a cantilever. If you’re sure the trailer is level and you weren’t using the awning then I’m out of ideas. Perhaps someone else has some.
I’m gonna try packing it up and starting over maybe. I’m looking at it from my upstairs window here now. And it looks almost as if the roof is turned slightly clockwise compared to box of the trailer if that makes sense. I’m running out of light, but I’m gonna play with it tomorrow and I’ll keep you posted!
Old 09-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #7

We had that type of an issue with our Palomino TXL Fold-a-Wall.It has poles on the sides for support , not cables as many have. We took care of the problem by using a clothes line . Our Fold-a-Wall always leaned toward the awning side, so we tied the clothes line to a tree on the opposite side to pull the roof back to straight, and then put the awning up with the poles and ropes. Lined the door right up every time. I hope this helps.
bobstepsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstepsup View Post
We had that type of an issue with our Palomino TXL Fold-a-Wall.It has poles on the sides for support , not cables as many have. We took care of the problem by using a clothes line . Our Fold-a-Wall always leaned toward the awning side, so we tied the clothes line to a tree on the opposite side to pull the roof back to straight, and then put the awning up with the poles and ropes. Lined the door right up every time. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply ! I got it all sorted out last night. I did something similar to what you suggested. First I replaced all the rivets in the plastic clips that good the frame in, they were all very lose which wasn’t helping matters and someone had stacked washers behind one to try and remedy the problem.

I tied a line off the front left corner and pulled a bit of pressure on it and tied it off on a tree. Then I put the frame in and the tighter clips made a big difference, it now held snug against the frame of the camper.

Then I would the top down a little bit to put some slight pressure on top of the door Frame but not enough to slacken the cables.

I let the line go and everything stayed put and is good and solid.

I did find out that the osb at the front right corner is all rotten and that’s probably contributing to the issue as I’m sure there’s some sag there with the steel guide not really having a solid mounting point.

I think some of the problem may have been me expecting everything to fit right together nice and snug. And that is for sure not the case but it’s pretty close with some tinkering. I’m completely new to tent trailers so it’s a bit of a learning curve. Appreciate the replies from everyone.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75FE7664-5165-4A7A-BFF2-92865DB8C5F3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	239058  

Tags
door, palomino