Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #1

Door Issues

Hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance. When our pop up is all folded up, the door closes perfectly. When the camper is popped up, the frame of the door at the latch area gains almost a 1/2 inch in space and the door won't latch. Does anyone else have this problem and know a solution. Thanks
twindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Are you checking to make sure trailer is level and not putting to much pressure on stabilizer jacks possibly twisting frame. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #3

The stabilizer jacks are up and I just double checked its level. It is a good solid 1/2 inch the door frame comes apart when the beds are out. Is this common?
twindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindad View Post
Hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance. When our pop up is all folded up, the door closes perfectly. When the camper is popped up, the frame of the door at the latch area gains almost a 1/2 inch in space and the door won't latch. Does anyone else have this problem and know a solution. Thanks
Is the side of door that's gaining the extra space, the king bed side over the tongue? If so, you could have some front wall flexing going on. Unfortunately it's a design flaw that affects Flagstaff/Rockwoods, the front aluminum strip that the bed support arms go into, isn't anchored into anything solid, so the weight of the bed when pulled out pull on the wall. I have it on mine, a telltale sign is a gap between the front wall and cabinet that's noticeable when popped up. Have a search for front wall flexing, it could be the cause of your door being out of line.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindad View Post
The stabilizer jacks are up and I just double checked its level. It is a good solid 1/2 inch the door frame comes apart when the beds are out. Is this common?
I have the same problem with mine. You can't realy tell with the travel door because the flange on the door covers the opening as opposed to fitting inside it. it's not an endwall issue as much as it it is a sidewall issue, once the bedends are extended they are exerting downward pressure on the frame causing it to flex along with the pressure at the endwalls pulling the top of door opening outwards. Additionally, the walls are mounted the OSB flooring and not the steel frame. I've seen videos where people tear the wall out and add bracing to help with the problem, I'm not sure i would ever attempt it unless I was doing a rebuild. The simpliest solution is to crank the stabilizers up a bit to close the gap.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:03 AM   #6

I had the same problem on my Forest River popup. I found that if I lowered my roof a little bit it reduced the gap and made attaching the canvas to the door easier. I'm talking about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
mysery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysery1 View Post
I had the same problem on my Forest River popup. I found that if I lowered my roof a little bit it reduced the gap and made attaching the canvas to the door easier. I'm talking about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
I don't think they're talking about the gap between the top of the door and the bottom of the roof.

I believe they're meaning the the camper body side walls, where there is a gap between the bottom side of the door and the camper body sidewall.

Seems this has happened on other campers as some have had pictures.

Maybe this is caused by people using the stabilizers to level the camper and twisting the frame and damaging it. Even if the owner didn't, maybe someone else did as a service tech or someone who borrowed the camper.

Maybe a frame shop could look at it and see what could be done.
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
I don't think they're talking about the gap between the top of the door and the bottom of the roof.

I believe they're meaning the the camper body side walls, where there is a gap between the bottom side of the door and the camper body sidewall.

Seems this has happened on other campers as some have had pictures.

Maybe this is caused by people using the stabilizers to level the camper and twisting the frame and damaging it. Even if the owner didn't, maybe someone else did as a service tech or someone who borrowed the camper.

Maybe a frame shop could look at it and see what could be done.
My gap was between the door and the camper body side walls. I never used the stabilizers to level the camper and I don't think my frame is twisted. All I know is that by lowering the roof a little bit the door fit better in sidewall opening and it's easier to attach the canvas to the door frame, not as tight.
mysery1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door