Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Sand D

Question Draining fresh water tank

When hooked up to water our fresh water tank fills. Does anyone know how to drain the water from the tank other than getting under the trailer and using a bucket to drain the tank?
We have a Flagstaff HW 29SC 2014.
Sand D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Your tank shouldn't fill when hooked up to city.There should be a set of valve in your side box.You probably don't have them set the right way.As far as draining,there should be a line with a valve or cap sticking through the bottom of your unit that will drain your tank on the ground.If not turn on your pump and run it through the faucets.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #3

On my HW296 (same) the fresh water drain valve is on the left (drivers)
side behind the front wheel. It's about six inches inside from the tire and
a little hard to reach without getting on the ground. I think mine was only a
quarter turn to open.
2gwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand D View Post
When hooked up to water our fresh water tank fills. Does anyone know how to drain the water from the tank other than getting under the trailer and using a bucket to drain the tank?
We have a Flagstaff HW 29SC 2014.
Others have mentioned the drain at the tank. I have to get down on the ground to open/close that valve - and it does drain to the ground.

You should not be filling the fresh water tank when hooked up to campground water. Both my previous PUP and A-frame had separate connections on the driver's side of the camper for city water connection and tank filling. The city connection takes a threaded hose fitting; the tank fill in a PUP is usually a gravity feed. When hooked to city water, there is a check valve in the water line (usually in the water pump) that stops the city water from flowing back into the water tank. You may have a stuck check valve.

If the check valve was wide open, you should befilling/overflowing your water tank in a matter of minutes connected to city water. The fact that the tank is not overflowing in less than 15 minutes tells me the check valve is allowing a trickle past, and not full flow. Tapping on the pump and/or disconnecting and cleaning might help reseat the check valve.

FWIW, the check valve's other purpose is to hold the pressure the pump has put into the water system. When using the tank and pump, a leaking check valve will allow water to flow back to the tank, and will force the pump to turn on periodically even when a faucet is not opened in an attempt to restore pressure.

my thoughts and experiences, yours may differ
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, fresh water, tank, water, water tank