Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
cavie, this thread is in the Popup sub-forum and the OP has a popup with a 3-way fridge so it doesn't work like yours.
So Fred's post that you quoted, is correct and yours is not.
So, a 3 way fridge can operate on LPG without any 12V applied? How does the control board work then? We had a 3 way fridge in our Lance camper and I was pretty sure we had to have 12V to make it work at all times.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
So, a 3 way fridge can operate on LPG without any 12V applied? How does the control board work then? We had a 3 way fridge in our Lance camper and I was pretty sure we had to have 12V to make it work at all times.
I was referring to this statement:

"Light inside is 12 volt.

Start up on my 2 fridges are both automatic. No button holding/pushing is required except to switch from GAS to auto. Auto is AC".
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The Dometic 4223 - and the fridge that was in my 2000 Coleman PUP - does not have a control board. The fridge is continuous run, with manual control.

The propane side has a flame sensor thermocouple hooked up to a valve to shut off propane should the flame go out. The thermocouple has to be bypassed while starting the fridge on propane until the thermocouple warms up. Hence, the on/off valve has to be pushed in to electrically bypass the shutoff for about the 30-45 seconds it takes the thermocouple to warm up, at which point it holds the valve open.

There is a piezo ignitor that gives a spark when the push button is pushed.

There is a propane metering valve with manual control to regulate amount of propane going to the burner.

As you can see, no DC or DC control board required. Also, no thermostat. Fridge temp is controlled by metering how much propane goes to the burner.

The AC heating coil has an on/off switch, and an SCR (incandescent light dimmer) to manually regulate power and heat output of the AC coil. Again, no DC required.

The DC heating coil has an on/off switch, and runs continuously at full power.

The FR High Wall pop-ups and High Wall A-frames have a more conventional RV fridge, with thermostat, small freezer section, and a DC control board.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
prev 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #24

Thanks for the explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
The Dometic 4223 - and the fridge that was in my 2000 Coleman PUP - does not have a control board. The fridge is continuous run, with manual control.

The propane side has a flame sensor thermocouple hooked up to a valve to shut off propane should the flame go out. The thermocouple has to be bypassed while starting the fridge on propane until the thermocouple warms up. Hence, the on/off valve has to be pushed in to electrically bypass the shutoff for about the 30-45 seconds it takes the thermocouple to warm up, at which point it holds the valve open.

There is a piezo ignitor that gives a spark when the push button is pushed.

There is a propane metering valve with manual control to regulate amount of propane going to the burner.

As you can see, no DC or DC control board required. Also, no thermostat. Fridge temp is controlled by metering how much propane goes to the burner.

The AC heating coil has an on/off switch, and an SCR (incandescent light dimmer) to manually regulate power and heat output of the AC coil. Again, no DC required.

The DC heating coil has an on/off switch, and runs continuously at full power.

The FR High Wall pop-ups and High Wall A-frames have a more conventional RV fridge, with thermostat, small freezer section, and a DC control board.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
prev 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #25
PopupHall

Thank you very much. That helps explain a lot. That whole compartment where I have the green and red switch, depress button for gas inflow for high, medium, and low, and red ignition button are all refrigerator related. Great thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
cavie, this thread is in the Popup sub-forum and the OP has a popup with a 3-way fridge so it doesn't work like yours.
So Fred's post that you quoted, is correct and yours is not.
My bad.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, flagstaff, power