RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

Electrical problem

New to the world of Rockwood. Have a highwall pop up.
Our radio now shows a flashing message protected and the dome lights are not working. I have checked fuses and breakers and reset the radio. Any help would be welcome .
troylaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

Warranty Issue?

Wild guess. Any chance the voltage from the battery is low? This could be caused by a wide variety of issues.
  • Crud on the battery terminals or any of the connectors along the way;
  • Low battery charge - (charge it with a conventional battery charger and see how things go)
  • Now it gets harder...bad connections to the inverter/converter.
  • Check it with "shore" power connected - plugged into an AC source and with just the battery
If it's a new rig, a trip to the dealer is called for before you start messing with things, or you might void the warranty - except for checking and cleaning the battery terminals and cables.

If there is something wrong with your converter, your battery may not charge fully (or at all). And if the converter has failed, it may not pass full 12 (actually closer to 13.5) volts even when plugged into shore power.

I'm sorry I can't offer a definitive answer or more well-reasoned suggestion.

P.S. Do not plug into shore power while you have a battery charger hooked up. You need not disconnect the battery to charge it with a conventional battery charger, but you should not plug in the trailer simultaneously. As far as I understand, it's also not recommended to disconnect the battery and connect the trailer to shore power. I believe the battery serves as a buffer or shock absorber for the electrical system when connected to shore power. I won't swear to these comments, but I believe others will confirm them.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

I've been wondering about your P.S. myself, Jim. Good direction.

Charlie
2009 Ram 2500 5.7/3:73
cmac7203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #4

Okay so I have a 2016 Rockwood Premier Pop-Up. The issue can be an array of things to troubleshoot as Jim mentioned. Here are a couple additional things to try:

There is power kill switch on my pop-up beneath the radio, make sure it's switched on. If not the dome lights, fans and radio will not work.

Also, there is another kill switch built into the fold down sink/stovetop. When it's down the lights and radio will not work.

Hope this helps,

Aaron
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum,
Congrats, have fun stay safe and Happy Camping from Farmer NC
Old 04-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #6

This forum needs a "like" button. We have a high-wall, so the sink/counter does not have to fold to collapse the camper. But my previous camper was a conventional popup, and it, too, had a plunger switch that disabled many of the electrical systems when the camper was folded. A failure in that switch would probably account for things like the lights, etc. not working, but things like the fridge would still work when the camper was folded. If this switch is malfunctioning, that could easily be the problem.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical