Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2022, 08:17 PM   #1

exterior door latches

On my hw277 the two top exterior door latches pulled out(these are the ones thar hold the door in place on the top and are riveted in). Has anyone had this happen to them. I have new latches but I feel riveting them back in just won't do it. Thinking about a thru hole to the outside with a nut and bolt. Anyone else tried this repair or is there a better way????
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh4984 View Post
On my hw277 the two top exterior door latches pulled out(these are the ones thar hold the door in place on the top and are riveted in). Has anyone had this happen to them. I have new latches but I feel riveting them back in just won't do it. Thinking about a thru hole to the outside with a nut and bolt. Anyone else tried this repair or is there a better way????
See my post here about why you should not put more holes in the side wall:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2760144

I just used stainless sheet metal screws. Their should be a metal rail that they were rivetted to. Screw through that but not through the outside. If you want put a dab of epoxy in the hole first to keep it from turning back out easily.

I actually bought that rivet from F.R. Its really long and unique but I decided against it.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:33 AM   #3

Thanks for info I will try the sheet metal screw idea I wasn't crazy about going thru the sidewall
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for info I will try the sheet metal screw idea I wasn't crazy about going thru the sidewall
I dont recall but I may have had to drill the center of the swivel a hair larger for the screw to pass through smoothly. I wish I recalled what size I used. I have a space in a bag that is inside the camper at the moment

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2022, 11:12 AM   #5

You know... I think what I bought was technically a "wood screw" sheet metal screws have slightly different threads. Its not a tapered head or anything just like a #8 or #10 stainless that worked out to be the right length.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:

I am having the same issue but with the side latches, where did you get the replacement latches ?

Albert
Majestictone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:50 PM   #7

Found Them... Camping World has them
Majestictone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, exterior