Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Finally took delivery of HW296

Hello everyone,

I finally took delivery of my ordered unit. Took a full 8 weeks and I got it just in time for camping I hope. I may not be able to get out Columbus Day weekend because of the late hour but I should be able to go the weekend before. Can't imagine there are too many people breaking down the door to camp in October in New England on a non holiday weekend.

I must say I have some missed emotions. The unit is new and totally empty. I will now have to work to fill it all up with our stuff only to then take all the stuff back out when I close it for the winter. Gonna be a whole lot of work for 2 short nights of camping. Reminds me of the work it took to tent camp. I do want to go because the kids are excited and I too would like to use it. But man is it gonna take a lot of work.

I have yet to really check it out and figure out where and how I will organize it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the A/C unit on it was a low profile and it might just fit into my garage. Not sure who loses the spot. Hahahaha.

I did notice a spigot valve on the fresh water tank which will aid me in winterizing. It looks like an easy value to pump my Antifreeze through. Gonna check that out closer to make sure it functions how I guess it does.

The unit did come with tank monitoring. It displays battery life/charge, fresh, grey, and black water tank levels. It was also pre-wired for solar energy. Just need to buy the panels if I choose.

Did not get a Genisis 2.0 for a radio but rather an iRV unit or something. Seems to work ok. It had an HDMI input so that is good. TV has an HDMI input as well but unfortunately the two are not connected with an HDMI cord so you cannot get HD from the stereo/dvd player to the TV (no HDMI out on the stereo/dvd player).

I too have a VERY loud power winch. It really does not sound good at all. Not liking that too much. Gonna scare me every time I use it. lol.

I will report back this weekend when I have a chance to open it up. Got some rain coming in so I can't open it for the family to show them. They will have to wait a day.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #2

Congrats on finally getting it. Hope to see pics of it most pics out there are of older models and it sounds like they improved somethings. Wish i got the low profile AC. And solar prewire. What is this spigot you are talking about? I only have a valve to drain the tank my fill is regular.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

Hi Kinma,

Did you notice that the end of valve had a barb fitting? It was not a simple smooth spigot to drain but rather a barbed end where you would slide a hose onto it and use a pipe clamp to tighten it up. If you open the valve and drain the system, then place a hose on the barp and place the other end of the hose into the antifreeze gallon it should suck up into the system once you put your water pump on. What I do not know is if it will suck air out of the actual tank.

Like I said, I have to look at it closer.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

��Yes you need to post some pics..... and hope you have a great camping weekend.

I like going to the northeast during this time of the year, we will be in the Finger lakes region up in ny for Columbus day weekend for our final trip of the year. Hope the fall colors are nice.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #5

Vin can you take pics? I only see the hose from my pump to the tank ill look closer in thr morning though. I was thinking of adding a winterizing kit n valve and bypassing the water filter. My WF is just in a horrible spot. Hope urs is in the cupboard like I've seen in other pics.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #6

On the load winch. Mine is very load too. I dont even open the pup at home in the morning till after 9am. I have read that if you grease the gears that might help. Ill be trying that this weekend.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #7

Finally took delivery of HW296

Plan the camping weekend at home-in the driveway. You will have a lot of "whoops-forgot that or hey this doesn't work". Wally World is great for pots and pans- cheapest set possible. Knives, can coozies, toilet drop ins, small dish drying rack, target has collasple hot dog forks great for s'mores, water hose and pressure regulator, sewer hose, spare fuses. I recommend all really greasy cooking for out side. Oh and get those little 1" felt pads for where the bathroom folds up and walls rub together and for where your front door handle will rub against the ceiling.

But I have owned a high wall or anything! 😄[ATTACH]63417[/ATTACH

Woodstock the first - three days after we traded up

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1411523617.624187.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	600.9 KB
ID:	63417  

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #8

Congratulations I know you are happy just to have it in your driveway finally. it has definitely been an adventure for you, hopefully 1 you can look back and laugh at.
papasmurff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #9

Test of picture post.

This is a picture of the damaged area in my HW256 just before the insurance company totaled it and crushed it. The floor was soft under the vinyl floor at the end wall. You can see the discoloration.

If this works, I will be able to post pics.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #10

Well that did not work.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #11

Congrats on the new camper. Hope you get to spend a couple of nights in it before it gets too cold. Pic didn't show up however.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
Incheon, S. Korea

Those winches are loud... Did you notice the blurb in the manual about smoke coming out from the grease? LOL!
It should already be fully greased. The grease they use at the worm gear is VERY high shear-resistant grease. Don't use standard auto grease in it. Also cover it back up with the little piece of plastic that should be over the grease.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #13

Hi Baron,

I think I have a newer model. On my 2006 HW256, the access to the worm was from the top. Once you took off the circular cap, you could see the worm nut that was packed with grease.

On my new unit, the manual nut is located on the side. Just like if you have a manual crank. There is no grease at all on the gear not the worm nut. I am definitely gonna put some grease on it. I will check out the manual on the smoke.

It has a strange set up as the worm nut seems to be held on with a washer clamp thingy. Not very durable looking at all. Would hate to sheer that off.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #14

Congrats! We love ours, it's a great camper. Where are your tank level gauges located?
wstensgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #15

Great camper hope you enjoy it. Concerning greasing the winch. I have the same one and greased/sprayed oil on everything that I could find, did not make too much difference in the sound but seemed to run a little smoother. One note though, it seems that it may a have some type of clutch on the right hand side. I had oiled that too but now when I go up, the top settles back down a little after I stop. Maybe that area should not be greased. Just a thought.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #16

Vin,

Congrats on your camper arriving! I am very pleased with my unit, I don't think I will have the time to get out again this year, but we had a great time on our maiden voyage. We're looking forward to spring. Enjoy your upcoming adventures and take care.

Russell

2015 Rockwood HW296
2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ
W4NT3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #17

Another thing I forgot to mention was that the unit did not come with normal privacy curtains. Ones that hang and then tie back.

The unit has these blind type curtains that use a string to raise them and lower them. The are pretty cool.

Are these on all the highwalls now? Is this a change for 2015?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #18

vin

like ive posted i have a 2015 (april) hw276 it has the normal privacy curtains. Ones that hang and then tie back. i have heard FR made some changes in Aug 2015. thats when they started installiung the monitor panel.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #19

Darn, monitor panel would have been a useful tool. Out '14 doesn't have it. Wonder if it's something we could add.
wstensgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #20

Wstensgaard

No you cant wee at least in the black tank its above the floor and below the toilet/shower stall. You could add it to the FW tank and gray and you could add a batt monitor but I really dont know why you would need to monitor the tanks. If the FW rank gets low the water spits out of the faucet s and if the gray tank is full it backs up in the shower and black tank you can just look down the toilet. It would be nice to have the battery monitor but you can add that and it would be nice to have prewire for solar but that can be added too.