Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2022, 09:25 PM   #1

First Real Trip Impressions

So - back from the annual family gathering for Thanksgiving, which over the last 20 years has morphed into a family camping trip, my parents, my brothers and their families, and my sister and her family as well. Pop's been taking us camping, in pop-ups, since I can remember, and even before I existed!

This was our first trip in the Rockwood that we bought a few weeks ago. For the positives - it slept everyone and the beds were deemed very comfortable. The dinette booth/sleeper was a big hit the first night before we got to Georgia. It tows easy. The doors on the cabinets and the drawers are very well constructed. Everyone liked the color combo (ours has the solid color cushions in a dark taupe-type color - it does look nice), and family members had trouble believing when seeing it that it wasn't brand new. The outside grill (which had never been used) - worked great and the little table was much sturdier than expected. Wish we had more good things to say, but we don't, other than being glad we purchased the warranty offered by Camping World, and that it's actually going to cover the items that failed.
We got home Sunday and Monday it went back to the dealer. They said it will take a few weeks to get the parts they need, they are keeping it there until repaired.

Sad so many things broke (yes, it's used, but it is 2020 built 05/2020) on the trip. The refrigerator failed (the 3-way stopped working on AC but did work on propane); the outside fridge worked but doesn't hold much. the hot water heater kept making a gunshot sound every time it came on to heat, so we turned it off - a quick check showed everything was tight and not leaking anywhere we could see. One side of the dinette "seat" - the side towards the rear bunk - the plywood the cushions are on, cracked - while our < 100lb daughter was sitting on it. The AC leaked water into the camper during the rain - it came out through the filters and the vents. It wasn't from it running either - it was only when it was raining and we didn't have the air on. The front bunk continues to be hard to pull out/push in and we noticed a lot more movement than when we did our driveway campout night. The sofa bed cabinet part fell apart - the font panel was laying on the floor after we opened the camper in Georgia. The sofa bed handle that helps fold it tore off, then the mechanism on the side that moves when you go to lay it flat broke - and it's not just missing a screw - it's broken. The strut that holds up the lid on the toilet/shower failed with a loud popping sound and then the lid slammed down at night - it actually pulled out of the side of the cabinet and took the soap dish out, as well as part of the "tub". I'll take the blame for the attached bunk material pulling out of the track but it's just a horrible design with that flimsy plastic "track" and the occasional screw. The Velcro was coming off the bottom of both bunks as well - fixed that (we hope) with some adhesive - at least it was still attached on Saturday's closing. We had noticed it hanging on Wednesday morning on the Front bunk, so we went to inspect the rear and saw the same, in the back it was both sides nearest the camper body when open, on the front it was the dinette side - about 3/4's of it was loose. We've read lots of problems following new camper purchases; we had no such trouble with the camper we bought brand new 15 years ago and had hoped that any such issues were already solved with this one, but - no such luck. Sorry to vent just very disappointed.
TiedIsPep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:55 AM   #2

Glad you purchased the warranty. Sorry for your problems.

It may be that the camper was not used a lot.... if ever. You did say that it 'looked brand new'. Some people buy a pop up and find that it's not what they need... or someone in the family just doesn't like camping.

We've had good luck with Camping World repairs, but not everyone has had the same experience. I would suggest you check in on the repairs occasionally with your service advisor to make certain you haven't been forgotten.

Hopefully things will be fixed quickly and you can start camping again.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:43 PM   #3

Wow, die hards camping in the winter. As long as you have enough current and outside lines to add portable electric heaters on top of the propane furnace.

First of all, what model do you have??

These campers have a lot issues that need a good dealership. I know my serviceman well and will be seeing him in a couple of weeks as I didn't want to be doing repair in the bad weather.

Get to know your repairman well especially if you can't repair things yourself.

I have repaired most things myself even when under warranty as I use my camper a lot during the summer even if it's only in camp driveway.

Now I have had a 2019 2716g which was a lemon and went away. It was replaced with a 2020 2716g which still had a lot of problems but weren't major like the 2019.

I have had to completely re-screw and re-support the sofa to the framing on both campers and reattach the front wall to the sofas. Also the storage door pulled off the framing as it's latches weren't installed correctly and allowed the door to flop open in transit. Then when slide out was pulled out, it pulled door off. So dealership gave me extra latches and a new door to prevent it happening again. The list goes on and on but I did a lot of repairs.

I let the service shop do a few repairs since I had them do the caulking and add a few things that weren't installed at the factory, that should had been.

I have had issues with Starcraft and Jayco as well, but honestly not nearly as numerous.

Now that things are good, as they should had been from the factory, now repair issues are more of wear and use issues.

RVs in general are built extremely bad and require many repair during their life. It's your choice to keep doing the repairs according to how much enjoyment you get out of that camper.

Now that you know what to expect and have a plan for it, enjoy your camper.

I have had many great trips with mine and my daughter loves it. I have had travel trailers, 2 bunkhouses, 23' overall length and a 29' overall length. They were expensive to upkeep, expensive to tow, and hard to store. They were a pain to own and why I went back to a pop up. I had 2 previous pop ups before the travel trailers.

The kids like the pop ups much better than the travel trailer bunkhouses. Why, I really can't pin point it but I think they just love having the bunk to themselves. Stepson did with the Starcraft pop when he was a kid (now grown up) and daughter does now with the Rockwood.

The Pop up isn't stressful like the travel trailers were. I can't say I'd never go back to a travel trailer, but not as this time or the foreseeable future.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:17 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
Wow, die hards camping in the winter. As long as you have enough current and outside lines to add portable electric heaters on top of the propane furnace.

First of all, what model do you have??

Their profile says a 2020 Rockwood 2716F popup.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiedIsPep View Post
The sofa bed cabinet part fell apart - the font panel was laying on the floor after we opened the camper in Georgia.
This seems to be a serious design flaw. I will bet that you have the same issue many have. The "seat" is plywood on top of that light duty frame and there is the flip up seat back that the cushions you put your back against go against. When you press your back in to that fold up panel the result is it pushes the seat bottom "forward" or away from the seat back pushing it right in to that light trim panel that is the interior wall of the storage box under your seat. They basically built it like a fulcrum that forces the seat bottom forward with pressure on the top of the seat back

I had to do a mod to secure the seat bottom to the slide-out wall (strongest point) so it wouldnt slide forward.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Their profile says a 2020 Rockwood 2716F popup.
Ok, the Freedom version of my Premier 2716g.

Thanks
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
This seems to be a serious design flaw. I will bet that you have the same issue many have. The "seat" is plywood on top of that light duty frame and there is the flip up seat back that the cushions you put your back against go against. When you press your back in to that fold up panel the result is it pushes the seat bottom "forward" or away from the seat back pushing it right in to that light trim panel that is the interior wall of the storage box under your seat. They basically built it like a fulcrum that forces the seat bottom forward with pressure on the top of the seat back

I had to do a mod to secure the seat bottom to the slide-out wall (strongest point) so it wouldnt slide forward.
No the 2716 uses a real jack knife sofa, not a bench seat or goucho like the dinette seats and the L shaped bench of the HW276. Never had that with my U shaped dinette benches.

The issue seems to be a common one on the 2020 2716 models. The snap catches for the storage door on the front of the sofa, don't hold the door well and let it drop from road vibration. After replacing the door and adding more catches, not a problem any more. Plus making sure the catches were aligned right to hold the door.

Sounds like the previous owners didn't want to deal with typical rv issues and ditched it instead of using warranty to fix them.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:38 PM   #8

Just to clarify - it wasn't just the door, but the entire front of the cabinet. Not sure what the story was with the previous owners - other than they missed a few payments as this camper was a repo.

Luckily - the appliance failures have already been corrected, and the remaining repairs (for the sofa) parts are in hand and we will be picking it up next week.

"Winter" camping is easy when you either live in the south and/or are fortunate to be able to spend October thru April in Central Florida - which is really camping season there!!
Old 12-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Just to clarify - it wasn't just the door, but the entire front of the cabinet. Not sure what the story was with the previous owners - other than they missed a few payments as this camper was a repo.

Luckily - the appliance failures have already been corrected, and the remaining repairs (for the sofa) parts are in hand and we will be picking it up next week.

"Winter" camping is easy when you either live in the south and/or are fortunate to be able to spend October thru April in Central Florida - which is really camping season there!!
That could be the other design issue of sofa. Where the front corners give and fall. In the process when it falls, it pushes the front panel off. You may have to rescrew the entire sofa framing like I did.

Also if it was a repo, some of that damage could be from neglect or "intention". If it was a repo, I hope you got a good discount especially with no warranty.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:57 PM   #10

We got a fair price (well, what we consider fair). Less than 1/2 of what a "new" one on the lot was when we were done, including the warranty out the door. The deal included a fairly nice cover (retail $150) 2 fold-up large chairs ($54 each), an outdoor rug ($75), a new Interstate battery, and some other items - we got the dealership's new camper sales promotion applied to our used pop up in this case. I really dont think this camper saw a lot of use or abuse (not sure how repos are done and how rough that part was) just because of the overall lack of visual wear/tear when we bought it. They might not have used it enough to even get to a warrantied issue. Nothing happened during the tow home, or the setup at home/driveway camping. Maybe we did something to the sofa ourselves when closing the unit up, but I doubt it. We have had a pop up camper for years, and yes this one is different, but, very similar as well.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #11

Glad it is working out for you.

Sometimes it seems you get one made on a bad day. Our last pup had a fair list of issues that took almost two years for me to smack down:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/1st-long-trip-with-2514g-88892.html
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/second-long-trip-with-the-2514g-115783.html

Just when I was finally pleased with the result, DW decided enough was enough and we upgraded to the Roo.
Underthedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:25 PM   #12

Wow@Underthedog - you certainly dealt with your fair share. For some reason tent-campers allow me to get around my claustrophobia, and although we have had a few discussions about going the hard side route, we have rented them and still just don't find them the right fit for us.

We got the camper back and took it with us this week. So far so good. They couldn't find an issue with the fridge and it has worked fine for the last 4 days (on shore power which is where it wasn't cooling before). It hasn't rained, they did say there was something blocking the drains in the AC pan, I had checked those and they seemed clean. No rain, so can't tell. They replaced the gasket to be safe. The reinforcements to the couch cabinet and the new hinge worked out fine. They said the wood base of the dinette seat had a flaw and wood have cracked regardless - I've sat on that corner this week for a few hours while we were playing cards against humanity and it has been fine. Water heater was diagnosed with a bad thermocouple and has also worked flawlessly. They put more screws in the plastic rails that hold the tent in the bunk ends, and suggested that I might need to exercise more care/be more gentle with those. And we may have not put the front bed scissor supports "in the right place" - since they said the bed rails were bent slightly and that was causing the binding. They also asked if we had put the dinette in before pushing in the bunks since the sides of the dinette booth support the bed as it goes in. I am 100% sure we did close it up that way and did not put any weight on the bunks except when they were extended over the support bar. They did make it work easier, but - it's still nothing like any of our prior pop-ups and still requires a healthy tug to get it fully extended. We will be spending a few more days in the camper before we close up and head home, hopefully my posting of this tonight does not "curse" us!
Old 01-03-2023, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post

What was your mod? I'm considering putting some of that cabinet liner under my cushions, the kind that doesn't allow things to slide around.
khick1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:23 PM   #14

Quote:
We got a fair price (well, what we consider fair). Less than 1/2 of what a "new" one on the lot was when we were done, including the warranty out the door.
Good to hear that.