Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2020, 12:23 AM   #1

First time out!

Greetings! We left home today on the maiden voyage of our new FR Rockwood 2716F. Learning a lot of things, and need some advice on a few things.

1) I went to fill the freshwater tank, and it seemed like I was only able to put in a few gallons of water. I believe our tank holds about 20 gallons, but after just a little while the water started backing up and coming back out of the Spicket. I tried a clean skinny hose and went down the tube on the farther, but it still came out. What am I missing? Why am I not able to fill that whole time with water?

2) I lit the pilot light for the gas to run the refrigerator, and turned it up to high. I checked in the pilot light hole and it is lit, and I can feel heat coming out of the exhaust. However, the refrigerator is still not getting cold, not even close. Do I just need to be patient? Is there something that takes like a whole day to get cold?

3) I think we have a bad GFCI plug. Power works everywhere except the 120v outlets. The test and reset buttons are just soft on the GFCI outlet, they don’t click like the ones in our house. I checked the fuses and they all look fine. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your help! We are brand new to this and trying to figure it out.
DaveAndCamCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:47 AM   #2

Thumbs up

High Dave, you could have several easy fixes.

1 was the tank completely empty?

2 Did you check the breakers?

3 yes the Refer can take 12 hours to cool down. It has always amazed that you heat something up to make it cool.

And have fun on your trip. I will never forget my wife and I's first trip out. I was so tired of seeing how things worked and setting up, tearing down. trips to town to buy this and that. I was glad to load up and go home just to relax.
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
Bob414

On having no 120V AC, assuming you have shore power available at your site. Unless you have an inverter, your popup does not provide 120v AC, just 12vdc.

The power poles at campsites have there own On/Off switches for each Amperage plug and occasionally have other problems. Check that you have turned the right one on. You can contact the camp host for assistance.

Breakers and the GFCI are another good place to check.

I always bring a multi-meter with me to check things out. But you do have to know how to use it and be careful.

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #4

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish N Farm View Post
High Dave, you could have several easy fixes.

1 was the tank completely empty?

2 Did you check the breakers?

3 yes the Refer can take 12 hours to cool down. It has always amazed that you heat something up to make it cool.

And have fun on your trip. I will never forget my wife and I's first trip out. I was so tired of seeing how things worked and setting up, tearing down. trips to town to buy this and that. I was glad to load up and go home just to relax.
Thanks for the reply. The trailer is brand new, so the tank is empty.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAndCamCamping View Post
Thanks for the reply. The trailer is brand new, so the tank is empty.
The dealer didn't have water in the tank, for the PDI/walkthrough, to show that the water system worked?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #6

We have had 2 Rockwood/Flagstaff A-frames for the past 7 years. Systems are very similar to the pop-ups.
Quote:
1) I went to fill the freshwater tank, and it seemed like I was only able to put in a few gallons of water. I believe our tank holds about 20 gallons, but after just a little while the water started backing up and coming back out of the Spicket. I tried a clean skinny hose and went down the tube on the farther, but it still came out. What am I missing? Why am I not able to fill that whole time with water?
The water tank vent on pop-ups and A-frames is usually a small hose parallel to the fill that opens under the fill cap. You just cannot fill the tank with full flow - it can't vent fast enough. I use a Camco device on the end of my garden hose that allows me to control how fast the water is going into the tank. It's a clear plastic tube with a plastic valve and a hose screw-on. I normally use the valve at about 45deg to fill the tank.

It is quite possible that your tank vent (or fill) hose is kinked, which would make max fill rate even less. So crawl underneath and make sure neither fill nor vent hose is kinked. Looking underneath, the tank is translucent enough you can see the water level in it.

Filling the water tank does NOT fill the water heater. Your water tank is 20 gal, your water heater is 6 gal. So if you do not fill the water heater first, when you turn the pump on, the first 6 gal goes to the water heater. after I fill my water tank, I turn on the pump and open the outside shower hot water valve until water flows. This fills the water heater. I turn off the pump for trailering, and refill the water tank (until water comes out the fill).

Finally, the dealer should have put some water in the tank (and water heater) during the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) to show you everything worked.
Quote:
2) I lit the pilot light for the gas to run the refrigerator, and turned it up to high. I checked in the pilot light hole and it is lit, and I can feel heat coming out of the exhaust. However, the refrigerator is still not getting cold, not even close. Do I just need to be patient? Is there something that takes like a whole day to get cold?
I spent a lot of time getting my A-frame fridges to work consistently. Here's a link to the thread: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ge-104964.html
The executive summary: Rockwood/Flagstaff do a horrible job of installing the fridges in their pop-ups/A-frames. And the Dometic plastic vent covers are total pieces of crap when it comes to enabling the necessary air flow for the fridges to work properly.

If you want your fridge to cool down in 12 hours or less under all conditions, do the following:

1) Get a battery wireless outside thermometer from Walmart (about $10) so you can measure actual temperatures inside the fridge without opening the door.

2) Go inside the top outside fridge vent and fix any obvious impediments to getting heat out of the fridge compartment - make sure the chimney exhaust faces the vent, seal off areas above the vent where hot air can get trapped, etc.

3) Install a 12V computer case fan on the exhaust vent to blow air out. I get the quietest, lowest current, low RPM 120mm fan I can (usually 21db, 70-80ma, 420cfm) find. I mount it directly to the plastic grill with extra wire so I can remove the grill cover with the fan attached. Put a switch where it's convenient (you won't want the fan running in 40 deg outside temps).

4) Get the Camco D cell powered fan ($20) for inside the fridge. It's perfect for small fridges. This really helps reduce the recovery time after the fridge door is opened, and speeds up initial cool down.

If you do the above, you will have to back off the fridge settings from max cool after the 1st or 2nd day. Otherwise, you will freeze contents.

hope this helps
Fred W
now 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
prev 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #7

Thanks Fred!

Thanks for the great info, unfortunately our pre-delivery inspection/overview was very poor. We just got a brief overview of the systems, and the guy that did it was really bad. Unfortunately we bought out of state, and had to get moving so there was no way to go back later and get more information.

They did not put any water in the tank for a demo. Being first time trailer buyers we were not aware that we should’ve received a much more in-depth presentation.

I also noticed this valve on the line coming out of the water tank, I guess I’m going into the water heater. To me this looks like it’s closed, so I believe I will need to move that valve to be in line with the hose, and then once that’s done I would start the pump which puts pump in to the water heater?

This would be once I have the water tank filled, using a bit more patience. I am pretty sure I had my hose on pretty high and that was probably what was causing the blow back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF9367E3-83EA-43F8-A646-D78AA23EC16A.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	236582  
Old 08-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Too bad you didn't come here and ask questions before picking up the trailer. You would have gotten lots of advice and a PDI checklist.
But we have a very helpful group of popup owners here, that should be able to offer advice.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #9

Yep

Yeah, live and learn. I just assumed they would tell us everything we needs to know. Ha!

But these forums are fantastic, everyone has been so helpful.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #10

I searched the forums and found a lot of references to PDI’s, but not an actual checklist. Do you happen to have one, or have a link to a thread? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I searched the forums and found a lot of references to PDI’s, but not an actual checklist. Do you happen to have one, or have a link to a thread? Thanks!
Did you look in the Library? The Hybrid section has a PDI in a sticky.
Don't know if anyone has done a popup-specific PDI checklist.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #12

Thanks!

I didn’t even know there was a library! Thank you!
Old 08-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I didn’t even know there was a library! Thank you!
That's why the Site Team always recommends that new members check out each section of the Forum and their sub-forums. That way you'll have a better idea where to post or do research.

Tags
first time