RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #1

Flagstaff HW29SC AWNING HELP

I know you suppose to put the awning out before you raise the roof. But once the roof is up, and the awning is out, how do you take it down when the roof is up, and a big storm is coming or high winds are starting to whip up out of nowhere. Do you need to bring a ladder with you every trip, cause look I am only 5foot 7, and cant even reach the awning once the roof is up.
Do you have to lower the roof to get to awning? If so it just don't make sense to use the awning at all.
Any help is appreciated
sashabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

it was hard to put the awning away while set up with our HW277. Took several people, we stood on the picnic table to roll it up but still had to have a tall person with us to do that - and took several people as we needed someone inside on the beds to reach out through the tent zipper to start the awning zipper. we staked/tied the awning down to be able to weather most storms, the only place i was uncomfortable with that was out west - here on the east coast - we were able to leave the awning up through the storms. Lowering the roof would have been the next option, that would entail taking down the door, the bathroom, and the shepherds poles (i.e. lower the tenting) to then lower the roof and roll up the awning. I think some people do indeed forgo the awning because it is a PITA.... there were a few discussions here in the past about the awnings on high wall popups and nobody could find a solution.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought , I’m not tall and my wife is even shorter than me. So for sure i would have to bring 2 ladders or if picnic table is movable like you said , could use that to.
Down here in Cajun country, we get storms that pop up out of nowhere, especially in evenings. My wife suggestion is forget the awning and ladder, and buy one of those quick set up 4 pole pop up tents.
Anyway thanks for the reply.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

i see alot of ezup canopies around popups. I solved the problem by going to a hybrid camper with an electric awning. LOL - a bit more expensive of a solution than an ezup but we love it.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

We love hybrids to, and would love getting one but we have no big shelter to Park it under out the elements. With pop up we can park under our 8 foot carport.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #6

I am in the same boat. We have the 296HW. I am 5'6" and my wife is 5'5" tall. We never put out the awning. We always carry an EZ-UP in the front compartment.
Bushfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #7

It's the one thing I always hated about my Flaggtaff 27SC, it's a real pain to get on a ladder and put it away. I knew once I bought the new Rockwood 296 I was going to put the Carefree wall mount on it.
It's a great but very pricey addition.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtptrson View Post
It's the one thing I always hated about my Flaggtaff 27SC, it's a real pain to get on a ladder and put it away. I knew once I bought the new Rockwood 296 I was going to put the Carefree wall mount on it.
It's a great but very pricey addition.
Dtptrson- any chance you could share some pics and or model info of the wall mount you installed- I have a HW as well and wondered if the wall mount style awnings would work but wasn’t sure what direction to go-

Thanks
Knottshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottshore View Post
Dtptrson- any chance you could share some pics and or model info of the wall mount you installed- I have a HW as well and wondered if the wall mount style awnings would work but wasn’t sure what direction to go-

Thanks
Carefree of Colorado is the one I chose to go with, the freedom wall mount series. It comes in various lengths and a multitude of colors and fabrics. Dometic has a wall mount series as well, but it's free standing with no support legs. Personally, I didn't want all that weight cantilevered on the roof.
There is a motorized or manual option and you can always add the drive motor later on. It cranks open and closed quickly, and the metal case is very nice. It comes with mounting brackets for the legs so you can either rest them on the ground or secure them to the sidewalls.
I'll take some pics and post them.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
rfifer

We have a Rockwood 277HW with an optional screen room for our awning. We don't always want the screen room up and, depending on how buggy it is, sometimes put it up after the camper has been opened up and the awning is out. For that reason we started bringing with us two lightweight, 4-step project ladders. In the even of a storm, my wife is on one end of the awning and I am on the other to roll it up and tuck it into the bag. It's a mild PITA but we left it out one time and the wind destroyed the front rail of the awning. And it only takes us less than 5 minutes to do it that way.
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #11

I think we are just going to forget the awning and use our ez up tent that we have when we go to dog shows and show our dog.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #12

Thank y’all for all your reply’s.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #13

We always wait to roll up the awning until we lower the roof. When the awning bag is at a level that is comfortable to roll up, we roll it up. The only thing we do is lower the legs before we lower the roof.
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #14

We do the same, about half way down

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Forest River Forums mobile app
sjlemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottshore View Post

Thanks
pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning case.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	178675   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning partially open.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	178676   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning open.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	178677  
Old 07-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #16

Flagstaff HW29SC AWNING HELP

Dtptrson: Awesome, great to know!
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #17

That looks very sleek dtptrsom. I will consider getting one of those if my awning ever breaks.

To answer the OP's question. I have always brought a small two step ladder (can step on top step (third) also. I am 5'10" and manage so if your smaller you will of course need a taller ladder. The ladder also comes in handy for all kinds of things around the pop up so I am glad I have it. How does one attach the velcro flaps at the top? I can see zipping it up from the inside, but what about the outside flaps?

My process for the awning is always done while it is up. First, I unzip the bag. Need to move ladder multiple times. Second, I untie the two outer strings holding the awning in the bag. Then I hold the awning up while I untie the last string. then unroll it out as I walk down the ladder. Then pass it off to a second person to hold out so I can work with all the poles and secure it.

It is a bit of a pain, but if you love camping in a pop up you have to expect a bit more work than a trailer.

Good luck.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:16 AM   #18

Quote:
pics
I was told putting an awning like that would void any warrenty on the posts and roof. Don't really know why cause in my opinion the extra weight (if any) is on the legs. I upgraded to the dark side kinda due to 2 awning and finally upgraded the TV
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
I was told putting an awning like that would void any warrenty on the posts and roof. Don't really know why cause in my opinion the extra weight (if any) is on the legs. I upgraded to the dark side kinda due to 2 awning and finally upgraded the TV
I'm sure any mod is going to void some warranty, but I'm not particularly worried about it. It goes up and down just like it did with the original awning. Let's face it, most of us like to customize according to our tastes and needs.
The original awning once opened is a real pain to close and leaving camp for the day with the awing out is a losing proposition. I go away to relax and sight see, not climb up and down on a ladder twice a day. If you're worried about voiding a warranty then by all means don't do it.
As for the warranties, other than the original one year warranty, the the individual warranties on the appliances, the others are pretty much aren't worth the paper they are written on.
For example the 25 year warranty on the floor is worthless and if you read the fine print, it's limited to twice the COST of the wood. That, and a cup of coffee will get you nothing.
Honestly I haven't read the fine print on the lifter system(limited lifetime) and roof(5 yrs) but I'm sure I will at some point.
I have a well equipped workshop and I enjoy working on things, and I also have a neighbor who enjoys fixing things but in reality shouldn't own a screwdriver.
If you have the skill set and are knowledgeable in what you're doing, I wouldn't sweat worrying about warranties.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #20

Quote:
pics

I like that carefeee awning. Our 20 year old awning had a square adjustable tube from the front rail to the top of the trailer and another square adjustable tubs from the front rail to the lower side of the camper. All connections were positive connectors not these cheap friction fit on the new awnings. That old awning weathered some good storms with no problems. This new one bent the front rail in half first day I used it because of rain. Also right now I am sitting at a site where I am parked on an asphalt slab so there is no way to anchor the poles and there is a nice breeze capable of distorting the awning. One more time wishing for the old days.
ekskp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, flagstaff