Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #1

Flagstaff MAC LTD door locks

We purchased a used Flagstaff MAC LTD from a dealership who said they took it on trade in but don't handle the line. We are having continuous problems with the door lock. I originally thought it was the key but it seems to be working Okay. However, the door latch won't release from the outside when the key is used. This means we can't use the door lock for the minimal security when the camper is set up.

Has anyone else encountered this and, more importantly, is there a fix for this short or replacing the door latch/lock mechanism?
Arenablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

Not sure on the repair of the latch, but here is the place you can get replacement for $25. they seem to have a good reputation on this forum site.

Pop-up Camping Trailer Sales & Rentals in Denver, Colorado | Roberts Sales

Good luck, and Happy camping!!!
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenablanca View Post
We purchased a used Flagstaff MAC LTD from a dealership who said they took it on trade in but don't handle the line. We are having continuous problems with the door lock. I originally thought it was the key but it seems to be working Okay. However, the door latch won't release from the outside when the key is used. This means we can't use the door lock for the minimal security when the camper is set up.

Has anyone else encountered this and, more importantly, is there a fix for this short or replacing the door latch/lock mechanism?
Not sure what you mean, "when key is used." Isn't there a little handle to turn?
On mine, the key is turned to lock or unlock, but to open the door you unlock and then turn the handle. Key is not needed except to lock/unlock door.

But if you do need a new lock, just call the number on the website posted by JPbar and talk to Mark; I would guess he could order one.
Or you might try a local Rockwood dealer, if there is one. Rockwood/Flagstaff are the same except for markings and different colors.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer when I said, "doesn't work." One the outside of the door there is is cylinder that you insert your key into. One the inside there is a latch, a handle, and a little slider that will lock the door. To open the door from the outside (if it is unlocked) you depress the cylinder and the inside latch retracts so you can open the door. To unlock the door you turn the key in the cylinder and then depress the cylinder (supposedly). In our case, the cylinder either doesn't depress (sometimes) or depresses but the latch doesn't seem to retract enough to let the door open.

I was thinking that the sources of the problem were:
1. Poor design and this was common. (and someone had a work around)
2. a bad lock in this camper (fixed by replacement)
or 3. a bad key. (fixing 2 takes care of this)
Arenablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

If the key turns the lock freely, the key should not be the culprit. If the lock is able to turn so that the button can be depressed, the lock should be okay. Either something is binding the button mechanism or the mechanism is worn or defective.
There are times when the screws that secure the inner and outer portions of the door mechanism are secured too tight and that might cause internal parts to bind. If you are adventurous, you may try removing the door mechanism, including the bolt, inspect it for wear, then reassembling it on its own to check the mechanism functions. This way, you may visually see the problem and a simple solution.

Meanwhile, it would be a strong suggestion to bite the bullet and get a new replacement. It is so much more fun not having to worry about being locked out after a fun day out.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenablanca View Post
Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer when I said, "doesn't work." One the outside of the door there is is cylinder that you insert your key into. One the inside there is a latch, a handle, and a little slider that will lock the door. To open the door from the outside (if it is unlocked) you depress the cylinder and the inside latch retracts so you can open the door. To unlock the door you turn the key in the cylinder and then depress the cylinder (supposedly). In our case, the cylinder either doesn't depress (sometimes) or depresses but the latch doesn't seem to retract enough to let the door open.

I was thinking that the sources of the problem were:
1. Poor design and this was common. (and someone had a work around)
2. a bad lock in this camper (fixed by replacement)
or 3. a bad key. (fixing 2 takes care of this)
No, I should have read the post better (guess it was too early and not enough coffee), I didn't see the part where the camper is UP.
You are talking the screen door.

Sounds a bit like mine. When I used the lock I have to insert the key and push the button in slightly then turn the key to lock. Same to unlock and unlocking can be a trick. But honestly, I no longer use it, and probably only used it twice in three years.

Decided if someone wants to break into the trailer and the screen door is locked, they will just peel up the tent from near the door, or cut it, stick their hand inside and open the door. But they sure don't want to be in the trailer if I pull into the campsite.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #7

A little dry lube cured mine, I gave it a shot on latch and inside the lock with the handle turned. Made all the difference in the world, hope this helps.

Bob
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #8

Well, with the sum of these comments, I feel better about our 206LTD lock. We haven't had the issues described but DW sometimes has trouble unlocking the door. Also, I notice that the key slot is seldom oriented the same two times in a row. For example, I may insert the key one time when the door is unlocked and the top of the slit is at 12 o'clock but the next time I insert the key to lick the door the top of the slot is at 10:00. The key always turns the tumbler approximately a quarter turn and always locks or unlocks as desired. It's just unnerving that the slot is always at a different position.
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

Try calling Roberts in Co they have all types of parts.
BJ Monty1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #10

We have the same PUP and had the same problem. Turns out the lock sticks a little even though the key turns freely. I squirted some graphite lock lube in it and it works great.
jmichaelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, flagstaff, lock