Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #21

Flagstaff Pop Up Outlets not Working

[QUOTE=bikendan;2386397]How can a 12v fuse affect a 110v AC

Yaaaaa, see your point now [emoji31]. I was thinking his outlets may be connected to a circuit breaker and if a fuse popped that could be the issue.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #22

Thanks for the replies. My wife couldn’t figure out the issue. They are coming home this evening so I’ll spend some time troubleshooting it tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s just a breaker. But seems odd it was working fine one day and not the next.
BoulderT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderT4R View Post
Thanks for the replies. My wife couldn’t figure out the issue. They are coming home this evening so I’ll spend some time troubleshooting it tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s just a breaker. But seems odd it was working fine one day and not the next.

Please update the fix when you figure it out!
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #24

I have the camper at home now and still can’t figure it out.
I have it plugged into shore power at the house and still have no power at the outlets. Everything else seems to work fine. I disconnected the battery to confirm I am getting shore power and I am.
None of the breakers were tripped. I flipped them all off and on, just in case but that didn’t do anything.
I’ve tried reset buttons on the GFCI switch and it’s not popping like I’m used to so I’m thinking that may be where the problem is but I’m not sure what else to try at this point.
My wife did tell me a friend plugged in an electric skillet to the outlet on the exterior of the camper and that’s when they stopped working. Might mean a trip to the service department.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #25

Quote:
I have the camper at home now and still can’t figure it out.
I have it plugged into shore power at the house and still have no power at the outlets. Everything else seems to work fine. I disconnected the battery to confirm I am getting shore power and I am.
None of the breakers were tripped. I flipped them all off and on, just in case but that didn’t do anything.
I’ve tried reset buttons on the GFCI switch and it’s not popping like I’m used to so I’m thinking that may be where the problem is but I’m not sure what else to try at this point.
My wife did tell me a friend plugged in an electric skillet to the outlet on the exterior of the camper and that’s when they stopped working. Might mean a trip to the service department.
maybe the gfci is bad
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #26

Turn the breakers off then back on. Then trip and reset the GFCI. If that doesn't work as someone else said the GFCI is probably bad.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #27
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Often times plugging in a high current device to an outlet will cause issues since most of the outlets are inexpensive with push in wires in the back.

We see several like posts in the fall with folks plugging in electric heaters.

Does the power indicator light up on the GFCI?
It won't reset if there is no power to it.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? If so, we can walk you through testing for voltage.

You'll need to start at the power distribution box (breaker box) and do some basic testing through the circuit.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #28

No power indicator light on the GFCI.
I don’t have a multimeter. I may just have to have the service technician look at it. It needs to go in anyway for some things that were unresolved when we purchased it so I’ll add this to the list.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #29

Well, got the camper in for service and they said there was a loose wire for the inverter and that supposedly fixed it.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #30
Bob414

That is a problem with a trailer, one problem, wire in the inverter. Causes a dead battery, a battery depleted to far, causes shorter battery life/capacity. Most people recommend a shut off switch on the battery or removing the battery for storage. And placing the battery on a trickle charger. If in short storage on a new camper (infantile mortality), a night light on the external 110 socket, to verify AC is hot.

Infantile mortality is the tendency for new things to brake, before getting broken in.

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:14 PM   #31

Edit: I should have said they found a loose wire on the converter, not inverter.

Anyway, they said they supposedly fixed the issue with the outlets by addressing a loose wire on the converter. I’ve had it at home the past few days plugged into 120v in my garage and today realized the shore power was not charging the battery and as a result the CO detector was beeping. It’s to the point now that the battery is completely dead. The battery does hold a charge when I use a trickle charger but the 120v plug in does not seem to be reaching the battery. So if they fixed the outlet issue it seems to have resulted in a new issue.

Does anyone know where the converter is in a Flagstaff 207SE? I may try and see what then fixed and maybe undo it, instead of making another hour drive to the service department.

Is this kind of stuff to be expected with a new camper? We bought this brand new four months ago and its been in for service as many times already. We sold a 30 year old Coleman pop up to buy this new camper because we thought it may be more reliable but so far that’s not proving to be case. Definitely kicking myself now.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Edit: I should have said they found a loose wire on the converter, not inverter.

Anyway, they said they supposedly fixed the issue with the outlets by addressing a loose wire on the converter. I’ve had it at home the past few days plugged into 120v in my garage and today realized the shore power was not charging the battery and as a result the CO detector was beeping. It’s to the point now that the battery is completely dead. The battery does hold a charge when I use a trickle charger but the 120v plug in does not seem to be reaching the battery. So if they fixed the outlet issue it seems to have resulted in a new issue.

Does anyone know where the converter is in a Flagstaff 207SE? I may try and see what then fixed and maybe undo it, instead of making another hour drive to the service department.
The converter in a PUP is generally under a dinette seat or sofa. It is almost always facing the center aisle at the same location as your power cord comes into the camper. It has a brown or black cover that flips down to show you the circuit breaker and fuse panels.

Converters in a PUP are combination electrical panels and converters, the converter is located behind the panel, usually behind the fuses.

Your service dept is letting you down more than the camper - not an unusual experience, unfortunately. A loose wire on the converter has NOTHING to do with the outlets not getting power. In this case, if you don't know enough about electrical to take care of it yourself, you need to find an RV tech that does understand electrical.

Owning an RV is like owning a house. If you can't take care of the systems yourself, you have to find somebody who can. Not everybody who calls himself a home handyman is. Not every RV service dept knows how to service an RV, and this is especially true with small campers and pop-ups. A dealer who specializes in pop-ups, or an independent RV repair will give much better service.

Unfortunately, the wiring in most new pop-ups is a rush job on the assembly line. If you lift up the seat cover over your converter, you will see a rat's nest of wiring behind it (along with lots of sawdust). Surprisingly, most of it actually functions despite the poor quality of the workmanship. When I replaced my converter in my A-frame, I spent a couple of hours putting in bus bars to get rid of the rat's nest of crimp on wire nuts.

I suspect your entire AC system is down, which takes the converter out with it. The simple test for AC is whether the microwave works or not.

In the meantime, you need to have your battery tested, and keep it charged with an independent charger. When you install a cut-off switch, then you can leave the fully charged battery sit unattended for a couple of months.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, pop up