Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #1

Forest River Customer Service

Took my 2019 Premier 2514G out camping recently and found my passenger side tail lights not functioning. No turn signal or brake light. I called FR customer service and they said they would send me a new one free of charge. Great! The real question is why did it fail after only 2 years and a dozen trips? I thought LED lights were supposed to last awhile. I suspect a water leak due to worn caulking. I should probably check the seals on the other lights. Any suggestions for the best caulk are welcome. Thanks.
ADKdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #2

Most commercial products are an assemblage of individual components delivering certain design objectives. Each part is made in a commercial environment where it is governeduy by the need to be produced economically. Hence no part can be 100% reliable. If it need to be it would be prohibitively expensive! Each part can't be inspected also in a commercial environment. The probability for a part to fail much before its intended life is more during its earlier life cycle than later. Keeping this in mind, the manufacturers offer to take the risk of replacing/repairing a sub normal part under Warranty! later on the wear and tear take over the failure of the part. There could be a grey area where a part has functioned more than what can be termed as premature failure but lower than what an average life cycle could be. In such cases the manufacturers absorb the cost of failure under GOOD WILL warranty also.
Johnny
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:24 AM   #3

My orange porch light failed within the first year. It's all LED lights. The switch failed but easier to just change the entire light. It was warranty so no big deal.
LED do not have a long life. Most of my house hold LEDs fail within a year or 2, not the 10 they are suppose to last for.

It's not so much the LEDs but the boards that control these LEDs.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:15 AM   #4

Wow. I should send them a picture of my tail lights which have the fake chrome flaking off after 2 years of mostly sitting inside.

The only time it's in the sun is when it's on the road and at campgrounds which hasn't been very often thanks to covid.

As far as the thread title goes, my experience with their customer service has been very good.
After my dealer jacked me around for several months, I called them and told them I wanted to take it to a private shop, as there wasn't another dealer near me. They were fine with it, and told me they would send parts, but I would need to pay labor, till they reimbursed me. Even with covid they did reimburse me within the promised timeline.
That, and they sent the parts to the mechanical shop within a couple of days. They were right on it, really.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
My orange porch light failed within the first year. It's all LED lights. The switch failed but easier to just change the entire light. It was warranty so no big deal.
LED do not have a long life. Most of my house hold LEDs fail within a year or 2, not the 10 they are suppose to last for.

It's not so much the LEDs but the boards that control these LEDs.

Ive got one of the early LED household bulbs as an address light that's been on for almost 10 years. It's in an area where a light sensor won't really work so we just leave it on. It's only 2 watts but puts out at least the light of a 25W bulb. I have other 3 watt bulbs of the same generation that are used as dusk to dawn light perimeter lights. those have been on and off every night for almost 10 yrs too.

Now in vehicles, I agree It's the boards. Cheaper ones don't like vibration.
I had one giving me grief on a 22,000 dollar Ducati that is all electronic. After one application of the brake light, it would lock it out, and display a brake light out error message. It was under warranty at the time. It would always work once, after you shut off and restarted the bike. The dealer kept it a while as they couldn't figure it out, and it drove them nuts. Eventually said they found a pin out of a connector. It worked long enough to go about a year or so out of warranty, and then started doing the same thing again. Guess what it ended up being. Those brake lights are not cheap. I got a discount under the circumstances, but still, it was expensive.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #6

A few years back on my FR Georgetown 31L5 MH we were camping and the inside overhead LED lights started to flicker...one by one. I had flashback to disco days and blue suede shoes. Brought it in after the trip for other issues told the service manager who had all them replaced. Seems they had lots of other issues with these China manufactured led lights. Though I only had the MH for another year and a half had no more issues after that.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
A few years back on my FR Georgetown 31L5 MH we were camping and the inside overhead LED lights started to flicker...one by one. I had flashback to disco days and blue suede shoes. Brought it in after the trip for other issues told the service manager who had all them replaced. Seems they had lots of other issues with these China manufactured led lights. Though I only had the MH for another year and a half had no more issues after that.
You could spend a whole lot of money on something like that and still end up with cheap LED assemblies, as I found out on my Ducati. Don't know if they were Chinese made or not, but I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #8

I hope you checked the wiring first. In 2019, when mine went out on a 2017 TT I checked and found no power to the right rear taillight. Tracked wires back to their attachment point with the main power line and tightened them up there. Had lights again. I used caulk from an inch wide roll of caulk strip to seal the fixture after replacing it. Good luck with your issue.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:44 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
That's it in a nutshell. These LED lights are cheap chinese mass-manufactured and exported around the world. They are of the C.O.B. design with SMD's. When one SMD fails, it can't be economically replaced. You have to replace the entire fixture. I see many cars and trucks sporting LED tail lights with several of the SMD's not illuminating. The fix is to replace the entire capsule, and that can range from $250-$325 depending on the make/model. Give me the good ol' days when you could just replace a 1156, 1157 or 3157 bulb for a buck or two. Many will say "LED's are the in thing and cool". To that I say so were Hula Hoops, at one time.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #10

Since the entire fixture seems to have failed, have you checked the ground connection? It may be loose or corroded. It's unusual for both lamps to fail at once, but there is only one ground connection from the fixture, and that might account for the failure.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:42 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies. I haven't checked any of the wiring yet. Although I haven't ruled it out as the problem. Since they are sending me a light free of charge I thought I'd wait until I get it before removing the old one. When I talked to the gal at FR she didn't hesitate to tell me about the poor quality of LED lights. All she wanted was a photo of the non functioning light. She was very helpful.
ADKdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKdave View Post
Took my 2019 Premier 2514G out camping recently and found my passenger side tail lights not functioning. No turn signal or brake light. I called FR customer service and they said they would send me a new one free of charge. Great! The real question is why did it fail after only 2 years and a dozen trips? I thought LED lights were supposed to last awhile. I suspect a water leak due to worn caulking. I should probably check the seals on the other lights. Any suggestions for the best caulk are welcome. Thanks.

Dave, i recommend instead of using caulking to use an automotive grade sealant, such as Permatex Clear RTV silicone and adhesive. You can find this stuff at every automotive retail store and any Walmart. I've used this stuff on my RV and truck to seal headlight and tail light fixtures and it works perfectly. The best part is its clear so you don't need to be as careful and neat and wipe away areas with excess silicone. Once applied, the stuff will last for years and is much better than regular caulking, in my opinion.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service, forest river, service