Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #1

Fridge question

So, Just got our PUP and had our first weekend trip.. Loved it!!

So I know I will have many questions down the road and most will probably be stupid but hey, I have to learn somehow lol.

Anyhow, for my first question, The control on the Fridge for setting the Temp. and it is 1 to 7 , Is 1 the coldest setting or is 7 the coldest ?? And how long should it take to "cool" down? When do you start yours to cool? The night before, on the road with the 12V, Propane when your at the site until it cools?

thanks in advance.
TimothyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Seven should be the coldest. Adsorption fridges are much less efficient than home fridges. Most people start them at home on AC the day before leaving to get them cold. Also always try to cool items prior to putting them in the fridge. You can run the fridge on 12V while traveling, but don't stop too long while connected to TV. The TV will marginally keep a cold fridge cold.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Timothy, it would help if you posted year/make/model of popup, since it's not listed in your profile.

Do you have a fridge manual? If not, download one from the manufacturer's website.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #4

Thanks.. and Sorry about my spec's .. I have a 2010 RockWood Freedom. It has the 3 input Fridge.

I looked at the Manual but it all it says is " Start at 4 or 5 and turn down if you want cooler temps " LOL so which way is down?

I will be doing some more work on it before my next trip and will let it set for a few days on 7. Thanks
TimothyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #5

Been running propane on fridge for slightly over 10 years while travelling with no issues. Just make sure you shut the propane (open flame) fridge off before entering a gas station.

When camping, my experience that propane does a better job cooling the fridge then on electricity.

We usually turn on the fridge the night before we camp.

We also freeze our box (1/2 gallon size) juices and milk which really helps keep the fridge cooler when we travel in case we didn't run it long enough before leaving. The juice and milk rarely thaw out completely during a typical 4-6 hour tow.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge