Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2022, 10:25 PM   #1

Front Back Lift Height Difference and Lateral Difference

Hi. In a previous post I was asking about changing the cable on the Goshen lift system. I did replace it (thanks for all the replies) and it was quite easy, it just took a little time.

I have two questions regarding the height difference from one corner to another.

First, now that I have it back up the last step was to assure the front and back are lifting evenly. I've seen some videos online where one end lifts long before another.

In my case both the front and back are lifting at the same time, as far as I can see. The final height difference is pretty small. Depending on how I measure it it is less than 0.5 - 1.2 cm (less than half an inch). I assume this difference is negligible and I don't need to adjust the pulley right?

Second, I noticed today that the left to right side was remarkably different. So much that it put quite a bit of stress on two zippers that were on the same side. I think this may be due to the fact I have it in my driveway and it wasn't level (left to right). Could this difference be contributing to that?

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:55 PM   #2

Yeah, it's possible it not being level is contributing to the uneven lift. To be sure, just level it out and try again. And as far as the height difference from front to back, I will lift my roof about 20" and measure. If I'm within about 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch I call it good. I imagine that difference will change when I lift it all the way up, but it should be pretty dang close.. I mostly do it only 20" because it's sitting on my garage and the roof has an A/C coupled with my relatively low ceilings.
Freedom2318G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:06 PM   #3

Thanks. I do plan on leveling it tomorrow and checking. I was trying to get an idea of where to start first since the top needs to be down to adjust the pulley. But I wouldn't expect that I'd need to adjust it for a cable change.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizy View Post
Hi. In a previous post I was asking about changing the cable on the Goshen lift system. I did replace it (thanks for all the replies) and it was quite easy, it just took a little time.

I have two questions regarding the height difference from one corner to another.

First, now that I have it back up the last step was to assure the front and back are lifting evenly. I've seen some videos online where one end lifts long before another.

In my case both the front and back are lifting at the same time, as far as I can see. The final height difference is pretty small. Depending on how I measure it it is less than 0.5 - 1.2 cm (less than half an inch). I assume this difference is negligible and I don't need to adjust the pulley right?

Second, I noticed today that the left to right side was remarkably different. So much that it put quite a bit of stress on two zippers that were on the same side. I think this may be due to the fact I have it in my driveway and it wasn't level (left to right). Could this difference be contributing to that?

Thanks.
The front to back height difference is negligible and I wouldn't worry about that.

Leveling it on the ground would be a good place to start because any side to side lean will cause the roof to sway towards the low side pulling on the opposite side.

As far as left to right there is no official adjustment mechanism for that. The only thing you could do, and I stress this is not something the manufacturer says to do and would be a permanent change only fixable by a purchase of new springs would be to remove the springs from the tubes on the HIGH side and shorten them a bit until you are closer in height left to right. That really shouldn't be necessary assuming they are all the correct length and everything was put back together correctly.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:36 PM   #5

Yup. That was it, needed to level it laterally. No issues and nice new cable.

Tags
lift