Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Fuse for reverse polarity

Hi first time posting on this forum.
Here I am helping a buddy that has 2007 Rockwood Premier model 2516G. I'm going to call my buddy: George. George is not well savvy when computers and forums are concern. George bought this unit used a few years ago, but in tip top shape. This past weekend George decided to do a major clean up, so all the wires on the battery were removed but not marked on where they go...ooops. When the clean up was done George put the wires back on the battery and blew a 30amp fuse, that is when he called me. I believe that it was the reverse polarity fuse because the inline fuse from the battery did not blow (that one was a 40A). Is it because it was a higher amperage is why it didn't blow? Never the less we replaced the 30a fuse inside the WFCO 8725 with appropriate fuse, still no lights! We noticed that by giggling the wires going into the molded inline fuse holder power was on and off, problem solved, replaced the inline fuse holder.

Now, what size of fuse should be in that holder? A 30amp just like at the reverse polarity protection and leave the 40amp fuse that is connected to the battery or replace it also with a 30amp?

If you need additional info, don't be afraid to ask. Thanks
Serkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

My guess is the converter is still connected backwards.

In campers, the black, yellow stripe, orange, or red is normally "power" ground and the white or green is normally ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 017.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	116798   Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryJunctionBoxbreaker.jpg
Views:	2298
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	116799   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5737.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	116800   Click image for larger version

Name:	360426586.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	116801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6065.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	116802  

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Everything is working, as it should be. In your photo #2 there is no J-box like you have, but there an auto-reset breaker from the battery to the center post of the switch for the winch, that is always hot that goes to the converter and nothing in between like in photo #3. The 7-wire cable that is to be connected to the TV is spliced in the winch housing (eliminating a J-box like the one you have in photo#4.) If I look at photo #4 I see an inline fuse on the green wire (in this case it is not ground or negative) could you tell me what amperage that would be? BTW does you camper have an electric winch to raise the cover?
Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

They were generic photos to illustrate wire colors.

That equivalent inline fuse is 30 amps in my 5th wheel.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

My inline fuse off the battery to the converter is also 30A.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Have you traced that wire from the 40a fuse all the way to the converter? There may be additional circuits branched off of that line which could explain the 40a fuse (assuming the wire is properly sized for 40a load).
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkel View Post
....This past weekend George decided to do a major clean up, so all the wires on the battery were removed but not marked on where they go...ooops. When the clean up was done George put the wires back on the battery and blew a 30amp fuse, that is when he called me. I believe that it was the reverse polarity fuse because the inline fuse from the battery did not blow (that one was a 40A). Is it because it was a higher amperage is why it didn't blow? Never the less we replaced the 30a fuse inside the WFCO 8725 with appropriate fuse, still no lights! We noticed that by giggling the wires going into the molded inline fuse holder power was on and off, problem solved, replaced the inline fuse holder.

Now, what size of fuse should be in that holder? A 30amp just like at the reverse polarity protection and leave the 40amp fuse that is connected to the battery or replace it also with a 30amp?
I learned a lot replacing the WFCO 8735 (last 2 digits are the converter max output in amps) in my A-frame.

WFCO uses 2 fuses in the converter battery circuit - as you found out.

There is a "reverse polarity" 40 amp fuse. It is wired into some internal converter circuits; there is no output wire attached to this fuse. I blew this one somehow on a trip, and managed to mess up my dual 12V batteries when they weren't being recharged. I never realized my batteries weren't being recharged until after getting home and checking battery voltages.

There is also a 30 amp fuse on the converter output positive wire that normally goes directly to the battery. This is one of the 6 output fuses and wires.

My PD replacement converter does not have the 30 amp fuse. The battery output comes straight from the 40 amp reverse polarity fuse.

There are also AC circuit breakers that can impact things. There is a 30 amp circuit breaker that is for the input to the camper - your shore cable. This feeds the AC distribution. Right next to it is a 15 amp circuit breaker for the converter. Both these breakers have to be set for the converter to work.

Last of course is the circuit breaker on the trailer frame, with that tiny little reset button.

hope this helps
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #8

I have a question for you since you have replaced the converter.
First I have two 40 amp fuses in the box, one on top of the other; surprised me when looking for a blown fuse due to my ceiling lights not working.
And, the refrigerator fuse was blown, and when replaced, the ceiling lights worked. So are the ceiling lights on the same circuit with the fridge?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I have a question for you since you have replaced the converter.
First I have two 40 amp fuses in the box, one on top of the other; surprised me when looking for a blown fuse due to my ceiling lights not working.
And, the refrigerator fuse was blown, and when replaced, the ceiling lights worked. So are the ceiling lights on the same circuit with the fridge?
I found everything above the fold line attached to a single 10 amp circuit with a single wire. That wire goes to the switch that disconnects upper level stuff when you fold the camper down (forward left corner on most A-frames). In my A-frame, there are only the 2 inside roof lights and the Fantastic Fan on that circuit.

The wiring color code and circuits all matched labeling inside the WFCO converter - but I have heard that is not always the case. Here is what I found for each circuit, with the color of the WFCO output wire for that circuit shown.

1. 10 Amp Water Pump (Brown)
2. 10 Amp Air-conditioner shuts off (Gray). Electronic thermostat is powered off this wire, cannot use heater or A/C without it.
3. 15 Amp Propane detector, Water heater controls, Furnace controls and fan, Orange Porch Light, White Front outside light, stereo, night light (Blue)
4. 10 Amp Inside lights, Fantastic Fan (Fan has a separate fuse at the fan). Everything above fold line. (Yellow)
5. 20 Amp Fridge (Green)
6. 30 Amp Main battery. Others have reported that this does a lot more on their unit , but only goes to the battery on mine (Red)
7. 40 Amp is marked as reverse battery polarity protection. No wires to/from this fuse on WFCO converter. On PD converter this wire goes to the battery, there is no 30 amp battery fuse.
8. 7.5 Amp Furnace (Optional) Inline fuse located near furnace.

Findings by others are shown in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...n-45783-2.html

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #10

Guess I'm going to have to spend some time on the floor looking at the fuses and circuits from the fuses. When I camped a few weeks ago, no overhead lights, crawled under the table to the controller and tested the fuses, only one that was bad was labeled with fridge and some other items, so I replaced it and the overhead lights came on.
The sticker maybe wrong... fuse one is labeled as brown but no notation of what it controlled.
I guess just pulling fuses and seeing what and what does not work might be the thing to do, then make my own sticker.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Have you traced that wire from the 40a fuse all the way to the converter? There may be additional circuits branched off of that line which could explain the 40a fuse (assuming the wire is properly sized for 40a load).
Sorry about the delay (camping off the grid) I traced that small wire (#12 AWG) that has that 40A inline fuse until it penetrates the floor into the converter, but I did not remove the cover of the converter to see what it connects to. There is no additional circuit breaker/fuse before the floor.

Tags
fuse