Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
<<snip>>
I can't speak to how the LP side worked, though.
On propane, the fire lights and continues until you shut off the fridge. There is no automated, thermostatically controlled igniter as there is in your hot water heater. It's a slow, steady burn, and, while I'm not sure of the mechanism, on fridges that have an adjustable temp, I suspect the propane is simply throttled up or down as needed, but the fire never stops.

It does make sense, however, that the electric side would turn on and off as needed. Though I'm not sure of this, I also suspect that 120-volt shore power is probably stepped down to 12-volts at the heater so that there is no need for dual electrical heating elements.

I've seen quite a bit of info about RV fridge operation, but none of it - at least so far - has gone into this level of detail.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
On propane, the fire lights and continues until you shut off the fridge. There is no automated, thermostatically controlled igniter as there is in your hot water heater. It's a slow, steady burn, and, while I'm not sure of the mechanism, on fridges that have an adjustable temp, I suspect the propane is simply throttled up or down as needed, but the fire never stops.

It does make sense, however, that the electric side would turn on and off as needed. Though I'm not sure of this, I also suspect that 120-volt shore power is probably stepped down to 12-volts at the heater so that there is no need for dual electrical heating elements.

I've seen quite a bit of info about RV fridge operation, but none of it - at least so far - has gone into this level of detail.
There are some that use both a 110VAC heating element and and a 12VDC heating element. Mine only had 12VDC. On shore power, it was supplied by the converter.

BTW: As I pointed out in another thread, LP tanks have a high flow valve that will close should the pigtail or gas line be ruptured.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
<<snip>>

BTW: As I pointed out in another thread, LP tanks have a high flow valve that will close should the pigtail or gas line be ruptured.
No argument about the safety valve on the tanks...assuming they work as designed. A quick look at some of the threads in this forum is a good reminder that things don't always work as they should.

I'm not opposed to running on propane down the road. I had stuff in my freezer I wanted to keep frozen, and used propane on the trip home to ensure that the freezer would maintain. But I think the risk is higher than running on 12-volt.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
No argument about the safety valve on the tanks...assuming they work as designed. A quick look at some of the threads in this forum is a good reminder that things don't always work as they should.

I'm not opposed to running on propane down the road. I had stuff in my freezer I wanted to keep frozen, and used propane on the trip home to ensure that the freezer would maintain. But I think the risk is higher than running on 12-volt.
OK. It sure didn't sound that way in your other post.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #25

fridge on propane

hi.. we are new to using a camper, but enjoying our little Wildwood! quick question..this weekend was our first dry camp... is it normal for the countertop above the fridge to get quite warm when using propane for power? didn't notice it when we had it running on electric... thanks.. also, although this has nothing to do with the fridge... our first night temps dipped into the 40s so we turned on the heater, worked fine.. in the middle of the night our dog needed to go out. as I took her out, heard heat kick on (figured because I was letting in the cold!). but when we came back in,(heater still running) the smoke alarm beeped about 4 times.. not blaring like there was a fire, but just short beeps.. then it stopped.. any thoughts? thanks!!!
sdavidhazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #26
Site Team

It is possible that the area near the fridge gets warm ( not hot) during operation. Check to insure there is good air flow from the lower ( intake) fridge vent to the upper (exhaust) vent.
It looks like you have a new TT. If this was the first time you ran the furnace, the alarm most likely resulted from the oils used in manufacturing being burned off by the heat. A new furnace needs to be run for 15-30 minutes with the windows open to burn off the oils. This is sometimes done by a ( good) dealer or pointed out as something a new owner should do during PDI.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #27
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Pilot flames setting fires at fuel stations

As I read through this post an was shocked that people don’t take 10 seconds to turn off the flames on their fridge. It puts life and property at a huge risk. I don’t care what side you fill from or the flame is on. It’s hpjust plain stupid for the extremely minor inconvenience of stopping and starting your flame. Just a quick search on YouTube will give an untold number of fires from RVs in fuel stations. I have asked people to turn off your flame or put out the cigarette. My life means a lot more to me than their hurt feelings. Flames and gas fumes mix violently.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #28

I would think running an open flame at a gas station is not good in any universe. Its especially bad for the people who have no clue around you. I’d never take that risk. It seems like a no brainer to run on 12 volt. You can always hit the gas if you stop for a lengthy meal or something.

Tags
gas, power