Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Generator newbie

I'm thinking about getting a generator. I know nothing about them except what I've been googling. All I know is that I want it to be quiet and provide power to my outlets and furnace blower motor. DW has a CPAP and I'd like to use the heated mattress and I'm pretty sure that would take my 2 24group batteries (70 amp hours each) down to about 60% after a night. Can't rely on solar to recharge them the next day. What do people recommend for super quiet? How many watts would I need? Thanks
HappyCamperCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #2

Lots of good threads out there on generators. Recent and good one is:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-189542.html

For more like this, go to the search function on the green bar (it's between New Posts and Quick Links) and just type generator. Like I said....lots of good reads out there.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperCanada View Post
I'm thinking about getting a generator. I know nothing about them except what I've been googling. All I know is that I want it to be quiet and provide power to my outlets and furnace blower motor. DW has a CPAP and I'd like to use the heated mattress and I'm pretty sure that would take my 2 24group batteries (70 amp hours each) down to about 60% after a night. Can't rely on solar to recharge them the next day. What do people recommend for super quiet? How many watts would I need? Thanks
There are literally thousands of threads on INVERTER generators on the Forum.
INVERTER generators are the quieter generator, compared to open-frame contractor-style generators.
If you don't need to run the a/c, any 2000w inverter generator would run everything else, including the microwave.
Honda and Yamaha are the gold standard for inverter generators. But they cost more than other comparable ones.
The most popular competitor, is Champion. They are made in China but the company is American and provide excellent customer service. They are also much more affordable. Other than Honda and Yamaha, nearly all generators are made in China.

Heated mattresses are 110v AC only. So how do you plan to use them during the night, without running the generator, since campgrounds have quiet hours.
Also suggest looking at replacing the group 24 marine batteries with 6v golf cart batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
Always Learning

Here's an article that might be helpful:
https://www.learntorv.com/generators

You need to calculate your load and buy a generator sized to match that.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
Bob414

Any 2000 Watt generator will provide enough power for almost everything in a popup, except the Air Conditioner. Some concern with running high wattage items at the same time (Heaters, coffee pots, microwaves,etc.)

2000 Watts is Not enough for most Air Conditioners.

My solution is 2 2000 Watt generators (HF Predators are rated good on CR), same brand units can be linked together for a combined 4000 Watts. approx. 3000 Watts is required for most AC units.

While my solution is more expensive that a single 3500/4000 Watt unit. I can manage the 2000 Watt, 50 lbs generators, while the 3500 Watt generator's weight approx. 100 lbs, that is more than I want to handle. Plus size can be a issue.

With 2 generators, I don't have a single point of failure. Cheaper to run one if full output not required.

Note: Linking Generator together almost always have to be the same size and brand (Honda, Champion, Predator etc.)

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There are literally thousands of threads on INVERTER generators on the Forum.
INVERTER generators are the quieter generator, compared to open-frame contractor-style generators.
If you don't need to run the a/c, any 2000w inverter generator would run everything else, including the microwave.
Honda and Yamaha are the gold standard for inverter generators. But they cost more than other comparable ones.
The most popular competitor, is Champion. They are made in China but the company is American and provide excellent customer service. They are also much more affordable. Other than Honda and Yamaha, nearly all generators are made in China.

Heated mattresses are 110v AC only. So how do you plan to use them during the night, without running the generator, since campgrounds have quiet hours.
Also suggest looking at replacing the group 24 marine batteries with 6v golf cart batteries.
We aren't going to be at a campground. Boondocking in the woods
Old 09-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #7

So would this do the trick?....

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/champion-2000w-portable-inverter-generator-0550329p.html
Old 09-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Yep, as long as you don't need to run the a/c.
But, down the road, you can always buy a second matching one and parallel kit, to run the a/c.
That's the advantage of two 50lb 2000w units, rather than a larger 100lbs+ generator. If you won't need the a/c, you only need the one 50lb generator.
That's a good inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
We aren't going to be at a campground. Boondocking in the woods
Not sure if there's an external fuel tank, for the Champion 2000w. There is for the Honda 2000i, since it has an internal fuel pump. That's one advantage the Honda has over others with gravity-fed tanks.
The Champion may not hold enough fuel to run all night.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Yep, as long as you don't need to run the a/c.
But, down the road, you can always buy a second matching one and parallel kit, to run the a/c.
That's the advantage of two 50lb 2000w units, rather than a larger 100lbs+ generator. If you won't need the a/c, you only need the one 50lb generator.
That's a good inverter generator.
Cool. I don't have a/c anyway
Old 09-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Not sure if there's an external fuel tank, for the Champion 2000w. There is for the Honda 2000i, since it has an internal fuel pump. That's one advantage the Honda has over others with gravity-fed tanks.
The Champion may not hold enough fuel to run all night.
Says it'll run for 9.5 hrs. I only sleep 7
Old 09-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #12

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to buy the 2000W champion and give it a try.

Just to be sure, I plug in the camper using the 30 amp cord with my 3 prong (20 amp) adapter attached into the generator 3 prong outlet. This will power my camper's AC outlets and recharge the camper batteries. While the generator is running I can use the AC outlets for heated mattresses and CPAP. The furnace blower fan will also run off the gen and not the batteries. I'm just going to run the fridge off propane. There's no circuitry in the fridge that requires power.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to buy the 2000W champion and give it a try.

Just to be sure, I plug in the camper using the 30 amp cord with my 3 prong (20 amp) adapter attached into the generator 3 prong outlet. This will power my camper's AC outlets and recharge the camper batteries. While the generator is running I can use the AC outlets for heated mattresses and CPAP. The furnace blower fan will also run off the gen and not the batteries. I'm just going to run the fridge off propane. There's no circuitry in the fridge that requires power.
This is a great resource article on what each thing might take power wise to help you decide. If you have A/C 2000W probably not a great idea:

https://www.etrailer.com/Generators/...QaAg40EALw_wcB
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #14

just a few clarifications:

the furnace runs off of the batteries, not the generator. of course if the generator is running it will be recharging the batteries as the furnace draws power from them. but you can run the furnace without either generator power or shore power. the furnace fan can consume a large amount of battery power.

the refrigerator does have a 12 volt control circuit that requires power. again this is 12 volt power that is taken from the batteries. but this is a small load. the refrigerator will run for days without depleting the battery.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
just a few clarifications:

the furnace runs off of the batteries, not the generator. of course if the generator is running it will be recharging the batteries as the furnace draws power from them. but you can run the furnace without either generator power or shore power. the furnace fan can consume a large amount of battery power.

the refrigerator does have a 12 volt control circuit that requires power. again this is 12 volt power that is taken from the batteries. but this is a small load. the refrigerator will run for days without depleting the battery.
I could be wrong but I don't think my fridge model uses any 12 volt power when running on LP. It's a small Suburban 2.5 cu ft 3-way and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a 12 volt control unit. In the back panel there's a switch for AC, DC, and an ignitor button for LP. The LP "thermostat" isn't really a thermostat. It just increases or decreases the amount of LP going to the fridge.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
This is a great resource article on what each thing might take power wise to help you decide. If you have A/C 2000W probably not a great idea:

https://www.etrailer.com/Generators/...QaAg40EALw_wcB
No A/C
Old 09-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #17

Quote:

As mentioned above a 2000 watt inverter style should run everything you need and recharge your batteries and will be quiet compared to any open frame generator. If you have the money then buy a Honda. If not, Champion, Harbor Freight and Firman are a lot less expensive and get good ratings as well. Campion has some that will run on propane or gas if you want to go that route.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
I could be wrong but I don't think my fridge model uses any 12 volt power when running on LP. It's a small Suburban 2.5 cu ft 3-way and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a 12 volt control unit. In the back panel there's a switch for AC, DC, and an ignitor button for LP. The LP "thermostat" isn't really a thermostat. It just increases or decreases the amount of LP going to the fridge.
I think all 2-way fridges have a 12v component but I’ve been wrong before.

What’s the model # of the fridge?
Old 09-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #19

point taken about the refrigerator not using 12 volt power when on propane. if it has a manual igniter button it wouldn't need a control board.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #20
Bob414

I am a CPAP user as well. I do not run generator all night. I bought a 12VDC power supply for my CPAP. Turned off the heat/humidifier on the CPAP, run the hose thru the bed covers/sleeping bag. Keep the furnace on a lower temperature, but not off. That seems to work for me.

Any electric heating element is a real power draw.

Keep a eye on your battery discharge, mine held all night.

I have used the above setup several times. I have read that some CPAP users actually put the CPAP in the bottom of there sleeping bags, to help warm the air. Hope they have clean feet!

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, newbie