Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Grease seals

Can anyone tell me if I have sourced the correct grease seals for my 2007 Rockwood 2514G? I found seals at my local Advance Auto Parts that look like they will work but after contacting Rockwood, Roberts Sales, and others I'm having no luck getting a definitive answer. The seals I found are DriveWorks # S-442251. Outside diameter 2.565 inches. Inside diameter 1.718 inches. Rockwood no longer uses AL-KO axles. They now use Dexter exclusively.
Forrest2514G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest2514G View Post
Can anyone tell me if I have sourced the correct grease seals for my 2007 Rockwood 2514G? I found seals at my local Advance Auto Parts that look like they will work but after contacting Rockwood, Roberts Sales, and others I'm having no luck getting a definitive answer. The seals I found are DriveWorks # S-442251. Outside diameter 2.565 inches. Inside diameter 1.718 inches. Rockwood no longer uses AL-KO axles. They now use Dexter exclusively.
I just bought new bearings and seals from AL-KO direct. My cost was 46.00 for all 4 wheels. Call 1-800-349-3427..hope that helps.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #3

Well, since Rockwood and Flagstaff are primarily the same, my 2012 came with an AL-KO axles; with Dexter EX-Lube hubs. In the process of replacing the springs, switching brakes from the small 10 x 1 3/4 brakes to a more standard 10 x 2 1/4 brake and when I ordered the parts from Etrailer the other day, I also ordered an extra set of seals. (The new hub/drums come with new seals.)

This is what I ordered....for $5.95 per set.
1.719/2.565 E-Z Lube 3,500 LB

So, it looks like they will fit.

I learned quite a bit about the axles/brakes, and springs as I tore mine aparts and with some help from my neighbor who owns a large trailer rental place.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Well, since Rockwood and Flagstaff are primarily the same, my 2012 came with an AL-KO axles; with Dexter EX-Lube hubs. In the process of replacing the springs, switching brakes from the small 10 x 1 3/4 brakes to a more standard 10 x 2 1/4 brake and when I ordered the parts from Etrailer the other day, I also ordered an extra set of seals. (The new hub/drums come with new seals.)

This is what I ordered....for $5.95 per set.
1.719/2.565 E-Z Lube 3,500 LB

So, it looks like they will fit.

I learned quite a bit about the axles/brakes, and springs as I tore mine aparts and with some help from my neighbor who owns a large trailer rental place.
Differnt axles are dfferent deminsions. Your parts for my Rockwood with 4000 lbs. axles would not fit. As I said to the OP call al-ko with what ever axles he has they will ship the correct ones. 4 wheels with inter and outer bearings and all seals where 46.00 dollars, no guess work. I couldn't buy them that cheap at Napa.... PS: my 2012 came AL-KO easy lube, I do not know if there is a difference. Also I do not have springs mine are torsion.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Differnt axles are dfferent deminsions. Your parts for my Rockwood with 4000 lbs. axles would not fit. As I said to the OP call al-ko with what ever axles he has they will ship the correct ones. 4 wheels with inter and outer bearings and all seals where 46.00 dollars, no guess work. I couldn't buy them that cheap at Napa.... PS: my 2012 came AL-KO easy lube, I do not know if there is a difference. Also I do not have springs mine are torsion.
Not sure why you thought I was addressing you and I never made a statement that said my parts for my trailer's axles, brakes, etc., would fit your setup!!!! And not sure if I care if your trailer has springs or torsion. Appears to be some confusion!

I was addressing the OP; that is all! And the OP has almost the identical sized POPUP and will have 10" brakes, and if the axle is under 3500 lbs, his brake hub/drum assembly will be identical to the one I just ordered; thus the seal should be the same size. Not hard to look up.

As for where they come from. Have not seen a bad review on etrailer, my neighbor told me that is where they purchase their seals from and have had NO problems with leakage, and the seal I pulled off my trailer the other day was made in China, as probably the majority of the seals sold in the country.

I would hazard to guess, if ordered from etrailer, advanced auto parts, or the axle manufacturer, etc., they are probably made in the same plant to the exact same spec.

Have a good DAY!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Not sure why you thought I was addressing you and I never made a statement that said my parts for my trailer's axles, brakes, etc., would fit your setup!!!! And not sure if I care if your trailer has springs or torsion. Appears to be some confusion!

I was addressing the OP; that is all! And the OP has almost the identical sized POPUP and will have 10" brakes, and if the axle is under 3500 lbs, his brake hub/drum assembly will be identical to the one I just ordered; thus the seal should be the same size. Not hard to look up.

As for where they come from. Have not seen a bad review on etrailer, my neighbor told me that is where they purchase their seals from and have had NO problems with leakage, and the seal I pulled off my trailer the other day was made in China, as probably the majority of the seals sold in the country.

I would hazard to guess, if ordered from etrailer, advanced auto parts, or the axle manufacturer, etc., they are probably made in the same plant to the exact same spec.

Have a good DAY!
Wow, didn't mean to step on your toes but, the easiest place is to order is from the manufacturer. The OP might not have the same person helping him. Sorry If I offend your intelligence, The best way is still by the Manufacturer IMO. Just call and give them the # on it and you get the correct parts. Easy for dummies like me. Just passing it on. I wouldn't change a bearing if I had to....But I have 4 sets for someone else to do.... PS: the the problem to me is ALMOST...

Old 05-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Wow, didn't mean to step on your toes but, the easiest place is to order is from the manufacturer. The OP might not have the same person helping him. Sorry If I offend your intelligence, The best way is still by the Manufacturer IMO. Just call and give them the # on it and you get the correct parts. Easy for dummies like me. Just passing it on. I wouldn't change a bearing if I had to....But I have 4 sets for someone else to do.... PS: the the problem to me is ALMOST...
Don't get it!

You are not stepping on my toes. I only addressed your reply that was directed at me since you copied my post. Read my original which was NOT addressed to you, then read your reply. And honestly, NO reply back to me is needed or even wanted.

Don't want to get into it on the forum. So let's turn it back over to the original question.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #8

To the OP. Why don't you take and old seal with you to a decent auto parts store (NAPA e.g.) and have them match your existing seal? Axle makers don't invent special seals just for their products, there are industry standard designations for seal O.D., I.D. etc.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #9

I have yet to see anything "standard" within the RV industry, save for substandard.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question! What a great forum to be a part of!
As gljurczyk first suggested I called the Toll-Free number he provided for AL-KO and spoke with a very nice lady named Karen regarding my problem. I provided her with the axle number and she is sending me a complete bearing kit (bearings, races, and seals) along with 2 extra seals for $48.86 plus UPS shipping charges. She was VERY pleasant to deal with and told me that AL-KO had been bought out by Dexter FYI. I'm now looking froward to receiving the parts I need to finish re-packing my bearings and getting back on the road with a spare bearing kit. Oh - and I now have an additional problem. While fooling around under the pop up I brushed against (I swear folks - brushed against) the corrugated line that fills the water tank and it now has a pin-hole leak. Just hasn't been my day ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4755.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	77650
Old 05-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4759.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	77652

Additionally, attached is a photo of the axle I.D. plate for my AL-KO axle. I provided the TYPE# to Karen at AL-KO and she was able to source the parts I needed.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

IRT the FW line. If you just brushed up against it and it sprung a leak then I would jump on over to the local LOWES. I their plumbing department they have a large assortment of those. Happing trails.... OBTW- It should be a very low pressure line so a good electrical tape should do for the short time....... Industrial Gorilla tape is a mandatory item for temporary camping repairs...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #13

Glad it work out so well for you.

Btw. Has anyone done the same for the new Dexter Axles? Does Dexter have a nice lady also that can help someone? I would that process so much easier. Just call the mfg. with the axle number and get the right stuff. I would sure hate to take it all apart and not have the right stuff.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #14

Another resource for Dexter is....
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Seals

As you can see most are sized per the drum/hum size

Old 05-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #15

I'm trying to get the pop up ready for a June trip out to the 4 Corners area. Now I have the water supply line leak to deal with. I suppose it's always something. : )
Old 05-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #16

Ever hear the saying, “A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money?” Just change a few words....

A trailer is a hole in the dirt into which you throw your money.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #17

You know f5moab I have to agree. On the other hand a lot of folks sometimes don't seem to realize that simple maintenance is an expense they should be prepared for regarding owning anything. The problems arise when we don't maintain stuff like we should. I've always been a Boy Scout when it comes to maintenance. IOW - Be Prepared! But you know what Murphy's Law say's ...
Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #18

I totally agree; maintenance is very important and cuts down on expenses due to broken parts. That's one reason why I posted the thread on points needed to be lubricated on most trailers; at least yearly.

And I will say, parts for trailer repairs are not that expensive; at least in my opinion they aren't. Example, the last order I placed with eTrailer was under $300 but it included two springs, two auto adjust brake assemblies, two brake hub/drum assemblies, four shackles and a bunch of nuts, bolts, cotter pins, and extra set of seals.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #19

also, some folks choose to upgrade certain components, whether it's to go with an axle lift or different braking. I called Forest River and was a little disappointed that they couldn't be more helpful. They did recommend I contact the manufacturer though which ultimately solved my problem. gljurczyk had a better phone number for me however. I'm missing Sam Buckles already ...
Old 05-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Ever hear the saying, “A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money?” Just change a few words....

A trailer is a hole in the dirt into which you throw your money.

MMMMMM Boat stands for "Bust out another thousand"

HD stands for "hundred dollars"

MG stands for Morris Garage

Mazda GLC stands for "Great Little Car"

Subaru LWC stands for "Little White Car"

etc...
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote