Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #1

group 24 battery to 27

Anybody successfully upgraded from 24 to 27 size battery on a 1940 ltd or similar popup? Curious how to adapt for the larger battery? Not pleased with power/longevity of 24.

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #2

Upgrading battery size is usually accomplished by the same means. Larger battery box, if tongue mounted on angle iron, move cross piece to accommodate larger box length OR Cut a piece of wood to raise the bottom of the battery rack so it's flush with the top of the rails, screw it to the rails, and then screw the box to the wood filler.

Without a picture of your particular installation it's hard to see what obstacles you might have that are unique.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringbill View Post
Anybody successfully upgraded from 24 to 27 size battery on a 1940 ltd or similar popup? Curious how to adapt for the larger battery? Not pleased with power/longevity of 24.
There's a reason that these batteries only have a 1 year guarantee. AGMs have a 3 year guarantee.

The easiest thing you can do to increase the life of the battery is to disconnect the negative cable when storing or camped on electric for an extended period of time OR install a battery disconnect switch directly on the battery.

Unfortunately, as to power, none of these will help you camp for a long period of time offgrid. Changing to LED lights will decrease the power draw to a fraction of that of standard lights.

As previous post said, the main problem in upgrading the battery to a larger size is finding room for it.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

battery upgrade

Yup. One of the first things I did was switch to LED lights on my pup (and then my boat). I routinely disconnect the battery when boondocking...will probably get a quiet running generator in the future.
I keep the battery on a tender when not in use and make sure the water level is up, and keep the terminals and connections clean of corrosion
Do you think it worth it to go to a 27 size? Thank you for the input!

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Old 04-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Do you think it worth it to go to a 27 size? Thank you for the input!
You're doing everything right. Worth the cost? The one battery I looked up had 80 amp hours for a 24 and 90 amp hours for the 27.

The generator or a portable solar panel might be a better solution if you're looking for power off-grid. If you're looking for longer battery life, you might try the AGM, but at 3 times the cost, you could replace that battery every year.

When we're off-grid, we tend to camp like we did when we tent camped. Battery or solar rechargeable lanterns and fans, cooler for drinks to minimize opening the fridge. Generator (built into the current mh) if we need a/c.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #6

Basically a Grp27 is 1.75" longer than a Grp24 and is the same in other dimensions.
It will on average provide you with 20 more amp hours (95 v. 75)...of which 10 are available using the 50% discharge rule. In other words...not much more time or energy storage.
You probably have a cheap dual purpose Grp24 so you CAN get an improvement in CYCLE LIFE and bang for your buck by going to a TRUE deep cycle battery like the Trojans or the Deka/EastPenn DC series which would be worthwhile if you boondock a lot.
The only effective way to get significantly more battery capacity is to add batteries...not upgrade minor size differentials. AGMS do NOT provide either more capacity OR life cycles BUT since they don't require care...can usually out perform neglected batteries at a hefty premium.
Adding some solar might be a solution to needing to recharge less often. Figure 25 amp hours per day per 100 watt panel on average.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #7

Grp 27 batteries are only a couple of inches longer. You should be able to measure if it will fit. I upgraded to a 27 and bought a larger battery box for the grp 27. Box was cheap off amazon and it had the dimensions to check fit. Bought an Everstart from Walmart and it has worked fine for 4 yrs now. I flattened the thing several times by accident. Going below 50% charge will reduce life so I put on a charger over winter, and I try not to run it down. To keep from running down I put a switch on the battery box and turn off when parked by the house, as there is a battery drain from the smoke and CO detectors. Battery lasts about 3 days or so if not connected to power or not disconnected from the trailer. But the switch must be on when traveling so the trailer brakes will work, so there is a certain risk if I forget. With a tent camper I don't think you have brakes so it shouldn't be an issue.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #8

I just did it on my MAC . I moved the propane tank over as far as possible, then
I added 2 pieces of angle iron to support battery's extra length. It worked out good.
Ben
benfox49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #9

last summer Costco had Grp 27 Marine deepcycle/starting batteries for $80 from Interstate batteries... have not yet seen what they will be this year.

this was the best price I have seen in years... ( don't forget the $15 core charge)

yes it is not true deep cycle, but the price is great...

I have one in my camper and another in my boat.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #10

I just added another group 24. Perfect fit on my T12RBST A-Frame.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Others' guidance on fitting the new battery has been good.

If you are serious about boondocking, I suggest you go solar along with your battery upgrade.

A solar kit is not very expensive, and it will transform your boondocking experience.

Renology and Windy Nation make good stuff.

Single Panel Renology

Two-Panel Windy Nation

I have a Windy Nation single-panel kit and a group 24. I get to dusk with a full charge each night - in sunny Colorado. FL is a bit less sunny and has haze. If you go with a group 27 and have higher expectations of your power supply, a two panel system should be more than enough.

Super easy to install on the roof...no messing with suitcase panels and having the wind blow them away.

I am very frugal with power but I never run out. Two caveats: 1) I don't use my lights. I use a mantle lantern and a couple of LED lanterns. 2) I don't use the stereo. I use a bluetooth speaker if I want music.
I save the juice for the furnace, pump, ignition for the hot water heater, fridge, and so on, AND I HAVE AN INVERTER AND RUN MY ELECTRIC BLANKET FOR 20 MINUTES TO PREWARM THE BED. That's a 30 amp draw for 20 minutes....or 10 amp hours of the 35 to 40 available from my battery....a very heavy draw.

It's important to plug into shore power when you get home and let the converter condition and fully top off the battery, but meanwhile, when you're not camping, the solar panel is still attempting to charge, and the solar charge controller is managing that charge....all day, every day.

I never run out of power...ever. I use my generator only to run 120 volt appliances...about 15 minutes in the morning and early evening. With the heavy 120 volt draws of the microwave and/or espresso machine, there ain't much power left from my little 2KW genny to charge anything.

You can see my panel installation in the photo. I may add a second one this year so I can splurge and run the lights.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Solar.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	201910  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #12

If you're looking for more capacity and are not overly concerned by physical dimensions, I would go with a Group 31. Good power reserve. Or, you might consider what has worked for me on my last 4 RVs (3 fifth wheelers and a class C) and that is switching to two golf cart batteries. Generally they fit nicely in place of a pair of Group 24s, but are about an inch taller over all. They truly are deep cycle. Have had them totally drained in golf carts before, and still had four years of service. This was in an industrial (12 months a year)application, where we racked up a lot of use on many days.

That's my opinion on batteries, but may not be yours.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
I down graded from a 29' bunkhouse travel trailer and I just put in a new 27 battery about a year before trading to the pop up.

Dealer said the pop ups come with a 24 so my battery wouldn't fit the pop up's battery box. They just swapped the battery and the boxes from one camper to the other and all was good.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #14
Site Team

Both our popups had room on the tongue for a group 27.
They aren't that much longer than a 24.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #15

I would carefully measure your space for the batteries. If I were able to I would go with 2 group 24 over 1 group 27. You could add 1 24 now if the current battery is fairly new. If there isn’t room, I’d go with a group 31 before I would a 27. If you can go with the extra height, 2 6 volts will have a lot more capacity than 2- Group 24s. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 AM   #16

batt upgrade

Wow, great information! This is a great site! I definitely have my homework exploring solar panels...as much as I like peace and quiet, will probably get a generator for those torrid days- the search for an affordable and quiet generator will begin on this forum!

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #17

If you are planing on spending long weekends off grid I would recommend getting a second battery. I ran out of power on day two with the battery that came with the pop up. My trailer had plenty of room to add a second box, so I upgraded to two AGM group 24 batteries. I've been out five days now without having to recharge. If you go this route I highly suggest investing in a good three stage charger that has a setting for charging up AGM batteries as they like a different charge voltage than typical deep cycle batteries and the stock inverter that comes on the trailer will inefficiently charge the battery short term, and fry it if its plugged in long term.
DrakeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #18

Group 27?.... Just upgraded mine from the stupid little 24 to a 120ah 31 and a 100w solar suitcase to keep it topped up on the fly when boondocking. Go big or go home. Why mess around with a 27 unless you don't have the room for it. I would have gone the two 6v but don't have the room for em. Gl
Wusthof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery