Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #1

Heater question- 2002 Flagstaff Tent Trailer

Hello-I purchased a used 2002 Tent Trailer, so trying to learn how the system works. We have an internal heater which I believe is running off propane, but when the 12V battery was low last weekend, it would not operate.

Does anyone know if the heater runs off both 12v and propane?
thanks
JLBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #2

The heater runs off of propane, the warm air is dispursed with an electric fan. The chamber where the propane burns gets hot, the fan blows cool air across the chamber and via convection heats the air, in turn cools the chamber and prevents it from overheating. As a safety feature, there are sail switches to identify adequate ventilation across the heating chamber, as the battery becomes weak, the fan does not produce enough air flow to open the sail switch, and therefore shuts off the burner. It is a preventative feature to prevent overheating, damage and/or fire.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

Thank you very much! That is very helpful.
JLBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

Furnace will fail to work at 10.4 volts. This is really really low voltage and not good on your batteries. They should never get this low. You should think about upgrading your batteries if this is common occurrence. Furnaces are one of the biggest power hogs on an RV using around 7 amps when running and can drain a single battery overnight if outside temperatures are cold. Think about getting some good down comforters and more blankets and keep the furnace use to a minimum.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tent camper, tent trailer