RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #1

Heater question

I have a 2006 Rockwood 1910 and I've never used the heater because we usually camp in the summer. We're going to our local State Park this weekend and it's gonna be below 30° so we'll need heat. I do have a small space heater but I'd like to use the gas heat. I bought this camper used a few years ago and the original owner never used the a/c or heat. My question is.... what are the steps to get the head heat working?
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:53 PM   #2

What type of thermostat do you have? A sliding lever thermostat? Does it say DSI on it or anything?
Old 01-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
What type of thermostat do you have? A sliding lever thermostat? Does it say DSI on it or anything?
I'm setting it up tomorrow. I honestly don't remember what it is. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #4

Likely a Suburban heater and a Dometic thermostat.

Just flip the switch on (it's likely under the thermostat) and set the temp. It should spin up the fan and ignition will happen about 30 sec from then. I'm going to bet that the thermostat is on one of the cabinets.

You may need to run the stove or another gas appliance for a bit to pressurize the system with Gas.

Bring some fans along to blow the heat up into the ends of the tent. It'll really help. The ends will get really chilly otherwise.

Condensation will be your enemy. Make sure you set it up at home after you're back too allow all of that to evaporate or you'll have a surprise in a few weeks when you open it back up.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:28 PM   #5

If the heater has never been used, you're probably going to get a burning smell when you first start it and it burns off excess oil and dust. Open the doors.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post

Just flip the switch on (it's likely under the thermostat) and set the temp. It should spin up the fan and ignition will happen about 30 sec from then. I'm going to bet that the thermostat is on one of the cabinets.

You may need to run the stove or another gas appliance for a bit to pressurize the system with Gas.

Bring some fans along to blow the heat up into the ends of the tent. It'll really help. The ends will get really chilly otherwise.

Condensation will be your enemy. Make sure you set it up at home after you're back too allow all of that to evaporate or you'll have a surprise in a few weeks when you open it back up.
I'll definitely get a couple small fans. I do have the electric mattresses so that should help
Old 01-14-2021, 05:56 PM   #7

If you are going to be hooked up to shore power, I would carry a couple of ceramic heaters to do the majority of the heating and let the furnace come on when they can't keep up. You are paying for electricity, why pay for propane also?
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post

Just like you said. I got it running with no issues. It sure doesn't take long for it to get warm in there but I did notice that there send to be a big deadband before it kicks back on.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210114_165630.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	245998
Old 01-14-2021, 06:46 PM   #9

My experience has been that factory "mechanical" thermostat is very poor at controlling the heat. It will generally let the camper get too cold before it turns on the furnace. It will then let the camper get too hot before kicking it off again. It will cycle constantly. As Baraboobob said, a couple of ceramic heaters will go a long way. It will help to even the temperature out and the furnace will not kick on as often and you will not have the temperature swings. In addition, I suggest, that for future trips, you consider upgrading your thermostat which will control the heat better. That being said, the ceramic heater will still help even out the temperature.
DanMistyMiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #10

If it’s not too late, please inspect them the best you can. A few years ago I bought a used popup and couldn’t get the furnace to fire up. Good thing because it had a mouse nest in it.
I managed to clean it all out, complete with a couple of old dead mice. Once mouse free it worked fine. My first new purchase was the screen that went over the intake and exhaust of the furnace.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
Just like you said. I got it running with no issues. It sure doesn't take long for it to get warm in there but I did notice that there send to be a big deadband before it kicks back on.Attachment 245998
It like propane like a V 12 like gasoline beware.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMistyMiler View Post
My experience has been that factory "mechanical" thermostat is very poor at controlling the heat. It will generally let the camper get too cold before it turns on the furnace. It will then let the camper get too hot before kicking it off again. It will cycle constantly. As Baraboobob said, a couple of ceramic heaters will go a long way. It will help to even the temperature out and the furnace will not kick on as often and you will not have the temperature swings. In addition, I suggest, that for future trips, you consider upgrading your thermostat which will control the heat better. That being said, the ceramic heater will still help even out the temperature.
Any suggestions for a good thermostat?
Old 01-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #13

Thermostat for Heater

We use a digital, GeoPro G19FD; much more accurate, simple install.

Honeywell TH1100DV1000 Nonprogrammable Heat Only Thermostat, White

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH1...0672232&sr=8-4

or:

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH1...672537&sr=8-13
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #14

Thanks for all the info!! God Bless
Old 01-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #15

Propane heater sucks propane like no other appliance. We heat with space heaters when possible. Plug one into trailer wiring and run a good extension cord from the 20 amp. plug on the post thru a window to feed another if needed. Propane is last resort.

Tags
heater